• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Aren't we far enough into this generation to avoid "Pricing Errors" on new releases by now? I really hate to think of how much bad initial buzz a product gets over something like that, if it really was a flat-out error on Scarygirl's price.

The game apparently has 21 total stages (7 sets of 3 stages each), and gets harder as it goes on. I've played many other games that felt worse mechanically and thematically, that tried to pass themselves off for much higher prices, and now that it's 800, I'll easily consider it more in the future, after cutting through some backlog. Save for some weird grappling issues, I thought it felt fairly polished, and it's combat seemed much more involved (as a "Smash Bros. Light") than your generic Super Mario Brothers clone play that similiar games attempt.

I'll have to give Quarrel a spin later today, but, I wonder how much 400 pts will help it, given that it hasn't seemed to help Sonic CD that much, regardless of how high quality a product that was.

Puddle seems like an iOS 99c game ported to XBLA.

It really really does.

I took a plunge on it, and it is fairly enjoyable for what it is - but I think it is more suited to something like an iPad.

Visually it's really nice though, very relaxing game - just not sure if it's worth 800 points as of yet.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Does Quarrel support the chatpad?

Not sure, as I don't have one. But I agree with Gaspode_T here; the game is very well produced, and seems like a great thing at 400 pts.

Reminds me of a solid quality version of many of XBLA's early offerings; simple games with unique hooks, that felt like they had no other competition for your gaming time, as they were just fun, easy to get into, and simply enjoyable.

Wasn't ploanning on using any points until seeing if something like Awesomenauts or Skulls of the Shogun makes a suprise appearance soon, but might just have to jump into Quarrel!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So no-one knows what's happened to Capsized? :(

Nothing official since "Coming in December!"... but I guess the best place to ask would either be their Twitter, or on the Facebook Page.

Alientrap was the original developer of the upcoming Nexuiz, so maybe they needed to halt Cap in order to lend a hand to the upcoming House Party feature?

PopfulMail

Fuck. Bought Quarrel but it turns out there is no local multi. Urgh.

Saw this post earlier and it immediately chased away any interest I had in the game. Got home from work.. played a round of the trial and bought it. 400 points seems like a great deal for this game. About to dive into some single player for a bit and give it a go. If anyone is looking for someone to play against at some point.. feel free to hit me up. GT: PopfulMail

Enjoying Puddle a bit more now that it's got a bit more challenging.

Great for a casual play, and definitely finding it quite addictive - nice variety in levels and very easy on the eye.

Still does feel a bit overpriced, but I'm having fun.

That was a great trailer, and from the looks of the screens...This may just be great.

Anyone else have any info on the game?

Official blurb was.

"In an apocalyptic world where existence is futile, a solitary man treks the American west coast. The year is 1986 and a mysterious disease has decimated mankind, transforming people into killer automatons. Survival is the measure of all in this original cinematic puzzle platformer. Deadlight is the frightening odyssey of an ordinary man fighting extinction like a flame in the desert. Hopeless and unable to escape the horrors of a dying world, Randall Wayne will reveal himself as a natural born survivor."

Out Summer 2012, don't think they have said much more. The company behind it did CG work for Avatar, so if anything should look the part.

TheOddOne

Deadlight first details: The meaning of 1986
1986 marked a legendary era in humanity's astronomical focus. Russia launched the Mir space station, Halley's Comet lit up Earth's February skies, the Antarctic ozone hole came under intense scrutiny, and America's Challenger space shuttle exploded in a fiery cloud 73 seconds after launch, killing all seven of the astronauts on board in clear view of their family, friends and the world.

1986 is also the era that Tequila Works' chose for its upcoming horror-puzzle platformer (coming to XBLA this summer), Deadlight. The two aspects could be completely unrelated, of course, if Tequila Works CEO and creative director Raul Rubio hadn't gone out of his way to mention the astronomical significance of the year to Deadlight's larger, seemingly robust story in an interview with Joystiq.

"The choice of the time frame was not random at all," Rubio said. "If you think about it, 1986 was the year that had a lot of lunar events. And if you put that with movies like First Blood or Day of the Dead, it's a strange mix and you can get a unique visual."

Rambo: First Blood and Day of the Dead both came out in the '80s, one as a hyperbolic action film and the other a zombie cult classic, and Deadlight draws on both of these tropes in a unique way, Rubio told us.

Deadlight begins in 1986 in British Columbia, Canada, where a tragic disease has infected every person in the Pacific Northwest, transforming neighbors, friends, siblings, parents and children into homicidal automatons called "shadows" – every person except one. Randall Wayne is alone, outnumbered and ill-equipped, but he is determined to survive.

Unlike many other infection-based action titles, Deadlight doesn't revolve around, well, revolvers -- it's a physics-puzzle platformer first and an action title second, with Randall laying traps for his enemies in a style more similar to Portal than to Left 4 Dead. Players will have access to some weapons as the game progresses, but they are less effective than the traps and a "very bad choice," Rubio warns.

"It is a direct approach to fear and paranoia," Rubio said. "The player must always use their brains to solve the puzzles and control the action and physics."

Tequila Works is most proud of Deadlight's story, Rubio said, which is written by award-winning dramatist Antonio Rojano and inspired by Stephen King's Cell, J.G. Ballard's Hello America and The Road by Cormac McCarthy. If you haven't read any of these books, we'd summarize the overall tone with the following phrase: depressing nightmare fuel.

"You don't seek the truth or save the world," Rubio said. "Deadlight is about Randall's feelings and his desires, his problems. Everything that we take for granted now, like crossing the street, in Deadlight is a true challenge."

Tequila Works' obsession with the 1980s (synonym: depression) isn't solely interplanetary or machete-based -- it's part of the team itself.

"We are all children of the 80s," Rubio said, referencing the 22 people, full-time and freelance, building Deadlight at Tequila Works, some of whom have AAA backgrounds working at Blizzard, Weta Digital, Pyro Studios, Sony and Mercury Steam, the last of which Rubio co-founded. With a smaller studio, the team is able to infuse everyone's voice and create something they truly care for, Rubio said.

"It is important to recreate a new alternate world of paranoia and chaos," Rubio said. "In this survivor craze, we are moving in a very different direction with very strange ways of solving catastrophic events."

The developers at Tequila Works are passionate about Deadlight, Rubio said, and as a small studio they are able to make the game a part of themselves, infusing it with a hand-crafted, full-quality feel, "no matter if it is downloadable or retail." Tequila Work's dedication is already on display in the one teaser of Deadlight released so far, a cinematic of Randall perched on a freeway sign, describing how it feels to kill someone, before jumping to the roof of the adjacent building, which looks to be just too far away for an ordinary man to land.

The graphic style in the teaser is a pre-alpha build and is not representative of the final product, Rubio said. "The game, right now, is looking better."

Deadlight is scheduled for a summer launch exclusively on XBLA, and Rubio says his team is thrilled for the coming release, yet anxious that it live up to the unexpected hype.

"We want to say 'thank you' because the reception has been bigger than we expected, because we are a small studio and this is our first project," Rubio said. "There's a lot to do, even more now that Deadlight has so many expectations."

Gaspode_T

Here's hoping Deadlight will be the next XBLA game to hit Limbo/Trials/Castle Crashers level sales (million+), Alan Wake too...the downloadable games industry needs to prove those sort of numbers to prove that $15 games are still viable market to chase after.

Quarrel makes you feel stupid when you lose a 7 to 3 match-up! I couldn't find even a 3 letter word out of a bad luck set of letters.

Appreciate the Puddle impressions, it looks a lot like The Splatters from screens so I'm wondering how it controls, do you spin the screen and have the puddle avoid spikes/etc?
That and Scarygirl are both tempting...they look like the sort of games made for my tastes

S1kkZ

the stuff in the deadlight teaser is pre-alpha, so its realtime? no way.
the character model just looks too good for a dl only game.

BigMack

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/82279/From_Dust_Highest_Grossing_Game_of_2011_as_Xbox_Live_ArcadeMarket_Sees_Growth_in_2011.php

Estimated Top Selling Titles, by Units Sold (Annual, 2011)

1. Full House Poker (Microsoft Game Studios) - 375,000 Units / $3.6 Million USD ($9.66 ASP)
2. Castle Crashers (The Behemoth) - 335,000 Units / $4.6 Million USD ($13.69 ASP)
3. Fruit Ninja Kinect (Halfbrick Studios) - 324,000 Units / $3.2 Million USD
4. From Dust (Ubisoft) - 308,000 Units / $4.6 Million USD ($15.00 ASP)
5. Trials HD (RedLynx, LTD) - 286,000 Units / $4.0 Million USD ($13.80 ASP)
6. Magic: The Gathering (Stainless Games) - 278,000 Units / $2.7 Million USD ($9.71 ASP)
7. Torchlight (Runic Games) - 272,000 Units / $4.0 Million USD ($14.64 ASP)
8. Toy Soldiers: Cold War (Signal Studios) - 241,000 Units / $3.6 Million USD ($15.00 ASP)
9. Bastion (Supergiant Games) - 241,000 Units / $3.6 Million USD ($15.00 ASP)
10. Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale (Bedlam Games) - 210,000 Units / $2.8 Million USD ($13.38 ASP)

Saw this and thought it was interesting. Think the only game that surprises me for being on the list is D&D Daggerdale.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/82279/From_Dust_Highest_Grossing_Game_of_2011_as_Xbox_Live_ArcadeMarket_Sees_Growth_in_2011.php

Saw this and thought it was interesting. Think the only game that surprises me for being on the list is D&D Daggerdale.

Between Fade's estimations and Gamasutra's internal estimations (done by NeoGAF member RLan), I'd trust the latter more. Still, they both say just about the same thing as each other in this case, so that's cool.

TheMan

everytime i notice this thread on the front page, i hope against hope that new information on trials evolution will be found within

BigMack

everytime i notice this thread on the front page, i hope against hope that new information on trials evolution will be found within

I wouldn't expect that game to hit until July/August, for the Summer of Arcade promotion. (I assume you're talking about a release date : )

At an educated guess I'd say it'll probably come out in March. Since the schedule is pretty much packed till then.

If I were to speculate, I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to hold it till the Summer of Arcade.

Dabanton

Whoa was surprised to see Quarrel on Live when i was browsing around earlier, great game on iOS.

Got the trail and brought it after the first game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If anyone has a Collins English Scrabble dictionary, I can write an AI to play Quarrel perfectly. :p

Edit: Oh wait, I just did

XFT4W.png

Used my own dictionary so every so often there's a word mismatch, but consistently plays with >190 word IQ.

The algorithm is pretty easy. I took an English dictionary, isolated for words 2-8 letters in length, converted every word to its alphabetized scrambled self (IE the word aardvark becomes aaadkrrv). Then you give your input and max number of troops, and it takes all possible subsets of your letters based on your number of troops, and gives you the best scoring one. I'd need their exact English dictionary to get it perfect, but it's pretty damn good.

Gaspode_T

If you can make a solver for Spelltower that uses OCR and finds words of all diff directions I will get you a very nice paying job here :p

There are some apps on iOS store for people who want to cheat at Words with Friends, one of them is called Tip of My Tongue...I've seen pretty casual users using them so maybe that's a good reason Quarrel has time limits for moves...

Between Fade's estimations and Gamasutra's internal estimations (done by NeoGAF member RLan), I'd trust the latter more. Still, they both say just about the same thing as each other in this case, so that's cool.

Why would you trust leader board charts over a research and consulting firm?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The leader board charts are actual raw data which we can verify ourselves. The research and consulting firm (which initially had an unclear relationship with known doofuses ZG Chartz) provides their estimated data without making their data sources clear, allow us to verify them, or mention how many or which developers they collaborate with to get data.

I'm not saying FADE's data is garbage, but I also have no proof that it's materially better than the leaderboard figures, especially not on a per-game basis, and I certainly understand Rlan's better.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If you can make a solver for Spelltower that uses OCR and finds words of all diff directions I will get you a very nice paying job here :p

well the tough thing about that strategy is that to get the image into a program that can OCR it you'd have to screenshot and then copy/upload, so it wouldn't be real-time. if airplay mirroring was unencrypted or there was a way to pull in raw per-pixel rgb it wouldn't be tough. i guess you could use a camera mount.

the input side of things would be difficult too unless spelltower supported some sort of plug-in peripheral for control or you used a robot with a capacitive stylus arm.

there was a guy who wrote an image processing based perfect XBLA Bejeweled 2 AI. can't find the url now, but it played so perfectly he could play forever. he spent something like $300+ on the equipment to send raw input commands, on a camera to film the screen etc. hahaha.

the actual process of picking the best word on the current screen isn't really difficult though.

Gaspode_T

Yeah, the word finding part is not really the hard part...I'm actually thinking that would be an awesome interview question for me to ask, but it would kind of be difficult to explain the Dungeon Raid/Spelltower diag concept to people that don't have a little touch device to play with.

I usually do best at Spelltower when I'm relaxed and can notice words that go in weird directions, Quarrel is different because of the time pressure. I need to study up on 2 letter and 3 letter words...

Because the research and consulting firm's methodology is either

• call people up and ask them for unverified results which they repeat uncritically,
  • the leaderboard method (but done less carefully), or
  • a combination of the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom