• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I can understand that way of thinking, but I have to say, to me, when a game seems to go the extra mile (Narration, well drawn and minimally-animated cinematics, characters with growth potential, etc), it does feel more "worth the money".

I don't know how quickly we can expect this one to go on sale, either. Square Enix published games don't go on sale THAT often, and THe game doesn't come out on PSN till the 24th, and then "later in the year" for PC. Maybe they'd do a sale when it comes out to PC (Like Gattling Gears stealth drop)...

On the other hand, I played the demo and found that despite the obvious production values and the clear effort that was put into it, it was a pretty unremarkable platformer with a pretty unremarkable button mashing combat system.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started up Haunt but I was quick to buy it once the trial ended. The game has a fun style to it and it reminds me Luigi's Mansion mixed with Disney's Haunted Mansion. Tim Schaffer does a great job voicing Benjamin and the controls respond really well. I'm thinking there won't really be anything in terms of replayability other than trying to better your score for leaderboards... but for 800 points this seems like a great little ride!!!

Oh it's good?! Bought.

I was really up for Scarygirls until I saw 1200. I hate to be that guy, but so many games go on sale so quick and I knew if I even just hit up the demo I'd probably kill any enthusiasm for buying it when it goes on sale.

I do this all the time now, a lot of games I look at have gone on sale within about 3-5 months of release, I can wait since I have a ton of stuff to play as it is.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I do this all the time now, a lot of games I look at have gone on sale within about 3-5 months of release, I can wait since I have a ton of stuff to play as it is.

Exactly, I was looking through my XBLA games the other day and a ton of stuff I've bought on sale I have not even booted yet. :p

PopfulMail

Oh it's good?! Bought.

If anything, give the demo a whirl... I'm enjoying it so far. Simple combat and some light puzzle solving. There's the main section of the mansion where the game starts and then it seems that there are 3 additional sections with 2 levels in each.

PopfulMail

From the pics I've seen.. Deadlight is reminding me of Shadow Complex. XBLA is already killing it with the lineup of games this year.

Adam J.

Wow, they weren't kidding when they said Shank 2 was coming soon. Really looking forward to seeing how they've improved upon the formula..

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
What came out this week? Doom being listed as the most recent game is confusing me...

Haunt and Scarygirl.

Just go to "Game type" and select "arcade" from there. Or, you could look at the Xbox site, and take note of the "release dates" they show in the arcade section there, though those are not always right.

It is pretty weird to see Doom jumping up to top like that, however, and I think Swarm was at the head of the list for a few days too, for some reason...

bjork

IDK about what came out this week, but Doom has been relisted now. Hopefully, WB Games can get the Midway titles back up, too...

Question, assuming these don't return with a rerelease: will those old activation cards still work for these titles? I've seen a few people selling Robotron and Joust cards and I almost bit, but I wasn't sure if they were actual working codes or just a weird offshoot collectible thing at this point.

Question, assuming these don't return with a rerelease: will those old activation cards still work for these titles? I've seen a few people selling Robotron and Joust cards and I almost bit, but I wasn't sure if they were actual working codes or just a weird offshoot collectible thing at this point.
Code cards, assuming they haven't already been redeemed, should work for all delisted titles. There are a few titles that cannot be redownloaded if previously purchased, but none of those, AFAIK, were ever offered via dedicated code cards.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Code cards, assuming they haven't already been redeemed, should work for all delisted titles. There are a few titles that cannot be redownloaded if previously purchased, but none of those, AFAIK, were ever offered via dedicated code cards.

Someone gave me a code for Robotron 2084 in like November 2011. I was amazed an unscratched Robotron code was sitting around that long, but it was a really thoughtful gift. We don't tend to think of digital things as rare, so getting a rare digital thing as a gift was an unusual feeling.

Gaspode_T

ahhhh no reaction to Sine Mora trailer makes me sad

I see the devs for Shoot Many Robots seem to be giving away advance codes on their Facebook page

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Is Sine Mora actually rated M?
Seems so (For strong language). Seems like a stupid thing to do to a shooter that seems to have no OTHER reasons to keep it from being, say, E10. Don't remember any coarse dialog in the preview footage, so, will be interesting to see how far they take that.

-----

Well, we can gleam some more info off Dungeon Fighter Live off it's official Xbox.com info:

Hack-and-slash action and 2D side scrolling meet multiplayer mania in Dungeon Fighter LIVE: Fall of Hendon Myre. Take on the role of three classic Dungeon Fighters—Slayer, Gunner, and Fighter—to defend Hendon Myre from monsters spreading Phantasmalia. Customize your heroes by creating and enhancing gear, and deliver unique attacks by chaining and combining skills, all while playing with up to 4 players on the same console or via Xbox LIVE!

I'm kinda suprised The Priest and Sorceress won't be included straight out the gates. Never expected for the Assassin to show up this early, though. Could there be an On-release DLC scheme? Could the base game be free, and adding stuff cost money? (HA!?) Guess we'll have to wait and see...

PopfulMail

what's the release list for the next month?

Only release dates I know of are Happy Action Theater is due 2-1, Shank 2 is due the following week on the 8th.. with House Party promo following that.

House Party Dates/prices

Warp 2-15 800 Points

Alan Wake 2-22 1200 Points

Nexuiz 2-29 800 Points

I Am Alive 3-7 1200 Points

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wow, some of the games on that site are very interesting. I knew I kept forgetting some upcoming XBLA games lately; Really looking forward to Awesomenauts and Skulls of the Shogun!

Awesomenauts claims it's coming in Feburary, wish that was part of the House Party promo.

Strike Suit Zero, don't remember hearing about that. Looks kinda like Omega Boost?!? That could be very interesting.

R.A.W has a new trailer, that's good to see:) They say it's only a few months away now.

Happy Action Theater also should be quite a fun game.

Hope something positive is happening with that Double Dragon II game, as well, since it's quietly gone missing, lol. Same with Firepro.

I found some website run by a Japanese XBLA fan that has NeoGAF Internet Detective level skills going on here: https://sites.google.com/site/xblareleaseschedule/home

Holy hell. :eek:

So many great games coming out this year and so many games I haven't even heard of before...

One question, the official Capsized site still has the game down for a Dec release...anyone know what happened? Stuck in certification or was it rejected like Wrecked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom