• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I'm surprised you bought it. The full game is very representative of the demo--a mostly single screen puzzle platformer with low fidelity audiovisual stuff and a kitchen sink mechanical variety. It's neither trivially easy nor particularly challenging, and the number of levels is pretty substantial. I mean, if it's not your bag, it's not your bag, but I would have expected the demo to have told you that.

(I gave it #2 in my GOTY ballot last year)

Sorry, I meant *WORTH* 400 pts to me, not that I got it. You're correct, the demo was enough to convince me not to bother.

I'm not feeling Shuggy at all. It has those awful, floaty jumping physics and the production is painfully low rent.

I am kind of intrigued at its claim that each level will have its own unique gimmick, but the core gameplay didn't seem to click well for me.

Bejeweled 3, on the other hand, seems feature-packed. I might grab that one on sale even though I have it on Steam as well. I don't have any of its family of games on XBLA so it might be nice to have what seems like the best of its kind on a console. Any reason to eye a Puzzle Quest or Gyromancer instead?

I'm not feeling Shuggy at all. It has those awful, floaty jumping physics and the production is painfully low rent.

I am kind of intrigued at its claim that each level will have its own unique gimmick, but the core gameplay didn't seem to click well for me.

Bejeweled 3, on the other hand, seems feature-packed. I might grab that one on sale even though I have it on Steam as well. I don't have any of its family of games on XBLA so it might be nice to have what seems like the best of its kind on a console. Any reason to eye a Puzzle Quest or Gyromancer instead?

I picked up Bejeweled 3 on sale, and it seems like the best Bejeweled game so far. If you're into that sort of thing, I'd say it's a no brainer.

Also, in case you haven't checked it out, Zuma's Revenge is another amazing game from Pop Cap. I picked it up a month ago and had an absolute blast finishing it's main mode. It's also got some fun extra modes as well.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Peggle is going to give me a brain aneurysm, because people talk about how skilled they are at the game and then complain about how The Splatters is supposedly luck based.

Speaking of Peggle, wasn't there talk of a Popcap/Zen PinFX2/Zen2 table in the works or something? Peggle-themed pinball, even with Zen's not-so-pinball physics, would be super amazing and an improvement on Peggle's own feel. Maybe I was confused about this. Maybe the talk was about a PvZ-themed game.

Peggle is going to give me a brain aneurysm, because people talk about how skilled they are at the game and then complain about how The Splatters is supposedly luck based.

The thing is, though, that it's true. I'm one of those people.

In Peggle, you can replicate the exact same shot over and over and over again if you want, and the ball will bounce and react exactly the same each time if the pegs are in the same position. Just start a new level and shoot the ball then do it again and watch it bounce exactly the same. This means you can plan for stuff, and you can work out how things are going to react.

In The Splatters, nothing is stationary. The bombs are bouncing around at the start of each level which means you will NEVER be able to perform exactly the same shot twice because nothings ever in exactly the same position twice. You always have to hope that you catch bombs when they're in a good position and that they fall kindly. You can get better at The Splatters, there's an element of skill, but there's a massive amount of luck needed alongside it.

The luck you need in Peggle is far, far smaller, and you can negate the need for it at all by playing well.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The thing is, though, that it's true. I'm one of those people.

In Peggle, you can replicate the exact same shot over and over and over again if you want, and the ball will bounce and react exactly the same each time if the pegs are in the same position. Just start a new level and shoot the ball then do it again and watch it bounce exactly the same. This means you can plan for stuff, and you can work out how things are going to react.

In The Splatters, nothing is stationary. The bombs are bouncing around at the start of each level which means you will NEVER be able to perform exactly the same shot twice because nothings ever in exactly the same position twice. You always have to hope that you catch bombs when they're in a good position and that they fall kindly. You can get better at The Splatters, there's an element of skill, but there's a massive amount of luck needed alongside it.

The luck you need in Peggle is far, far smaller, and you can negate the need for it at all by playing well.
I know. You can trial and error your way through the game. I've seen that Peggle video. But how is that remotely fun?

The Splatters demands more twitch skills, and the people on the top of the leaderboards are insanely good at using the tools the game gives you. It's just more fun to me.

I know. You can trial and error your way through the game. I've seen that Peggle video. But how is that remotely fun?

What Peggle video's this?

It's not about trial and error, it's about being able to predict how something's going to react. In Peggle you can do that, in The Splatters you can't as much.

I enjoyed the start of The Splatters a lot, when the bombs were all small and immobile. As soon as they started hanging from ceilings and between platforms and stuff the game became no fun at all, because you'd find yourself in positions where you did the right thing but got the wrong result because the bombs happened to be in the wrong position or bouncing the wrong way and there's nothing you can do. Those people at the top of the leaderboards are good, but I dread to think how many times they had to play those levels to finally land that run where everything happens to fall right.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
What Peggle video's this?

It's not about trial and error, it's about being able to predict how something's going to react. In Peggle you can do that, in The Splatters you can't as much.

I enjoyed the start of The Splatters a lot, when the bombs were all small and immobile. As soon as they started hanging from ceilings and between platforms and stuff the game became no fun at all, because you'd find yourself in positions where you did the right thing but got the wrong result because the bombs happened to be in the wrong position or bouncing the wrong way and there's nothing you can do. Those people at the top of the leaderboards are good, but I dread to think how many times they had to play those levels to finally land that run where everything happens to fall right.
Peggle high scoring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4R_BE7Muks#t=3m17s

Splatters for comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAd6f96U6QE

I've never even heard of The Splatters but I just really love Peggle. Maybe I would love the Splatters too then?

Danneee

So, will the MGS and ZoE games get xbl releases? Keep seeing them on lists with upcoming games but can't track down any definitive info on the matter.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
So, will the MGS and ZoE games get xbl releases? Keep seeing them on lists with upcoming games but can't track down any definitive info on the matter.

Just announced the other day for MGS:

Way back when the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection was first announced, downloadable versions of the games in the collection were also revealed. The uncharacteristically box-free versions of Konami's famous infiltration games will be released on PSN (for Vita and PS3) and XBLA starting August 21 in North America.

On that day, you'll be able to get Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 individually on either PS3 or Vita, or the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (containing both MGS2 and MGS3) as a Games on Demand release for Xbox 360.

The next week, on August 28, Peace Walker will be available on PS3 and Xbox 360. You'll also be able to get a bundle of all three games on PS3. No prices have been named for these digital releases.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
s4Wo1.jpg

So, on my vacation I bought and played Joe Danger SE. Got all the achievements, 100%'d the game, all the Pro Medals, all the gold score cups, etc. Was very stressful but rewarding, much like Trials or Super Meat Boy. I especially found Insert Disc 2 (the second-last level in the Director's Cut set) to be very high stress, and I didn't even realize it didn't have a Pro Medal hahaha.

So, on my vacation I bought and played Joe Danger SE. Got all the achievements, 100%'d the game, all the Pro Medals, all the gold score cups, etc. Was very stressful but rewarding, much like Trials or Super Meat Boy. I especially found Insert Disc 2 (the second-last level in the Director's Cut set) to be very high stress, and I didn't even realize it didn't have a Pro Medal hahaha.

Wow. I'm impressed. That game gets hard. I hope to complete it myself before the sequel comes out soon. :)

Apdiddy

Congrats! I'm trying to do that on the original PSN version and it's very tough.

A World of Keflings is awesome.

It's such a huge improvement over the original (which was great on its own).

I know I'm a little late (as usual), but I picked a good time to start with the Avatar Famestar challenges and weekly quests that were just added. Plus, the new candy themed DLC should be landing fairly soon as well. I'm kind of hoping the first DLC is on sale when the new one comes out so I can grab both at once.

I finished all of the weekly Avatar Famestar challenges already and am an Up And Comer, apparently.

Vert boil

DOTW

Saints Row: The Third
--Gangstas in Space - 280msp (was 560)
--Genkibowl VII - 280msp (was 560)
--The Trouble with Clones - 280msp (was 560)

-----

Deus Ex: Human Resources
--The Missing Link - 600msp (was 1200)

Oblivion
--Knights of Nine - 400msp (was 800)
--Shivering Isles - 1200msp (was 2400)

Sales & Specials+ App

Full House Poker - 600msp (was 800)
Joe Danger: S.E. - 800msp (was 1200)
Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World - 600msp (was 800)

Some GoD and Hero music track reductions as well - http://xbldb.com/offer-history/price-changes

bjork

Kinda wish I'd waited on the SR3 stuff til now since it really doesn't add a lot to the experience, but I guess they're fun in their own way.

Gonna snatch up that DEHR dlc though, as I just got back my copy of DEHR after having lent it out about 8 months ago.

Fox Mulder

I've been meaning to get back into SR3 after I got 100% in it way back, but figured the DLC would drop at some point.

Which of the dlc packs are must buys?

So Joe Danger 2 has had a date of August 29th for weeks now, and yet we've still heard nothing official.

How likely is it that the date isn't accurate only two weeks before launch? My guess is that Microsoft is trying to keep things quiet until after SoA ends, and then they'll say something regarding the release dates for games they publish.

So Joe Danger 2 has had a date of August 29th for weeks now, and yet we've still heard nothing official.

How likely is it that the date isn't accurate only two weeks before launch? My guess is that Microsoft is trying to keep things quiet until after SoA ends, and then they'll say something regarding the release dates for games they publish.

With Rock Band out that day, JD2 seems unlikely tbh. It'd make sense for it to slot in a week later though, there must be something major on the 5th if Mark of the Ninja is being saved for the 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom