• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The February 2011 Thread

wwm0nkey

Well apparently Fortesscraft has 32 player online and you can use split screen and still go online so in theory you could have 128 people online at once lol

Kafel

Banned
Feep said:
Ugh. Do I NEED to include dance pad support?

I don't know anyone that has a dance pad that works on the 360, and until recently, I didn't even know they existed. I already include Guitar support, and moreover, to make dance pad support work, a player will literally need to be holding a controller in their hands WHILE DANCING ON THE DANCE PAD, because there aren't enough buttons readily available. Including support for a two controller layout is going to be hell, too.

Ughghghhghhghghghghghg

Nope.

But a Kinect update would be nice when you get the tools. : P

http://kinecthacks.net/playing-stepmania-ddr-with-kinect/

nli10

LocoMrPollock said:
I think global achievements would be possible for MS to implement, though I can't really think of anything besides milestone achievements. It would still give a boost to the service and expose more to the games that otherwise wouldn't give them a chance.

Maybe a Halo Waypoint like shell for advertisements & ach in one.

Max of 1000 for the whole service and 80 point games give 1 medal, 240 give 3, 400 give 5.

Achievements are given out for number of medals earned, same as in Arcade Room - but also there are ach. for downloading trials (and playing them) number of visits, and maybe even recommending things to friends.

Means that you can't see what Indie games people have played though (although RAPTR manages to track this somehow).

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
I was a little annoyed at the lack of instruction in Zombie Football. It takes very little time to add a simple "controls" screen, at the very least.

Could have been fun - looks cool - just had no idea what I was doing and died in 10 seconds or less each time.

Feep

Banned
Okay fine I included dance pad support

But not DOUBLE dance pad support.

I'm really just waiting on my artist, now. I'm very antsy; I have nothing to do. Hurry up, artist! = (

Fishcraft is out. Gonna give it a try in a bit.

Edit: Played it. So yeah. Angry Birds. Even the cutscenes, pause menu, level clear, stage select. All pretty much carbon copy.

Main difference was you can fire them at a rapid pace, which is a pretty easy win strategy on the simpler levels.

Pretty polished though and runs smoother than the PSP version of the original (at 1/4th the cost). No hint of slowdown in any of the trial levels.

The TNT boxes in T-7 seem to create a ridiculous amount of chaos, maybe too powerful? Think the destruction animations could use some work, I know some of it is the same as it is in Angry Birds, but things just blinking and vanishing with little to no sound is a lot more noticeable on a TV screen.

Feep said:
Okay fine I included dance pad support

But not DOUBLE dance pad support.

I'm really just waiting on my artist, now. I'm very antsy; I have nothing to do. Hurry up, artist! = (
You REALLY NEED to add double dance pad support.

I have no idea what your talking about.

Good luck with your game. :D

HadesGigas said:
Fishcraft is out. Gonna give it a try in a bit.

Edit: Played it. So yeah. Angry Birds. Even the cutscenes, pause menu, level clear, stage select. All pretty much carbon copy.

Main difference was you can fire them at a rapid pace, which is a pretty easy win strategy on the simpler levels.

Pretty polished though and runs smoother than the PSP version of the original (at 1/4th the cost). No hint of slowdown in any of the trial levels.

The TNT boxes in T-7 seem to create a ridiculous amount of chaos, maybe too powerful? Think the destruction animations could use some work, I know some of it is the same as it is in Angry Birds, but things just blinking and vanishing with little to no sound is a lot more noticeable on a TV screen.
That image screamed Angry Birds all day long. The cat even had a cracked helmet. I didn't even bother, I already knew what was up. Looks like these devs got their Gameloft/Capcom on.

Feep

Banned
Barryman said:
Hey guys, I just posted another quick development diary on my game The Groov Cosmos. If you liked the original Groov you should let me know what you think about the follow-up!
Man, that actually looks really cool. I know it's probably a long way from release, but I've certainly bookmarked your site = D

(XNA music game developer high five)

feel

Can't wait for fortresscraft, I've been dying for some console minecraft!! Too bad the survival/fauna/mining/inventory chapters are still a ways off, cause I'm not that interested in the creative/godmode stuff. But will buy every early chapter to support development, I hope the guy doesn't give up if the early chapters sell very poorly.

rezuth

FortressCraft makes me hate that he decided to go Java. Its a great game and all but the look and feel could be so much better.

Kafel

Banned
Intruder_qc said:
Saw this game mentioned yesterday on Twitter :

Allied Assault Squadron - Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG9BFfCD7g8&feature=player_embedded

This look quite promising and hopefully it will hit XBLIG soon enough. Look like a 1942/1943 type of game.

It looks quite boring. It's a pity because the effects are nice. It reminded me that Rickenbacker didn't look bad.

Some early screens for Train Frontier Express :

5438190155_401d556f03.jpg

5433763596_bd69a84edb.jpg

5455712189_7619efbab5.jpg

Joshery

Neo Member
Thanks for all the indie support neoGAF community

Here are 5 codes for FishCraft

DVCMG-HBYPF-K827Q-CGMQH-2G2FD
G2BBV-CVVHF-BJJ3J-FXFXR-68376
JMHV7-BQ3K8-3B9YV-X6QXW-3RTYW
DWRKM-BHMMW-PQYHF-KX3CC-BHBJB
TBPFP-HGM27-HBRGX-VKPD4-8T2FQ

feel

Joshery said:

Thanks.

Joshery said:

used this one, thanks, will check it out and give feedback a little later on.

Joshery said:

Nabbed DVCMG-HBYPF-K827Q-CGMQH-2G2FD.

All of them are used now it looks like.

Santiako

Joshery said:

All of them are used up. :(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Joshery said:

Seriously though, why is it exactly like Angry Birds?

Late to the party, but I've been playing Hexement. I read about it in that "100 xblig in 100 days" series of articles, which I can't find right now. It's a lot of fun, should give it a try!

Kafel

Banned
FishCraft is shit. Not only the pace is so slow I nearly felt asleep but the game has also slowdowns in case the frustration created by the control scheme wasn't enough.
Lack of animations, lack of enjoyable physics, it's really a heartless and shameless copy of Angry Birds. I feel sorry for people playing this because they don't have access to AB.

Sometimes the XNA Community is cruel to let shit like this pass without warning competent authorities about copyright infrigements. Hopefully the problem will be solved soon.

the_dannobot said:
Late to the party, but I've been playing Hexement. I read about it in that "100 xblig in 100 days" series of articles, which I can't find right now. It's a lot of fun, should give it a try!

You're probably talking about writingsofmassdeduction. The guy reviews a title every day (not the ones from the top selling).

Kafel

Banned
I'm having a lot of fun with Zombie Football Carnage. I see why some here complained about the difficulty but after a few rounds and some upgrades the game is not so harsh with the player anymore. A perfectly-timed dash is key and chance with items and weaker random enemies greatly help. Bought.

Fishcraft entirely lacks the charm of Angry Birds, plus AB is just so well-suited to touchscreen controls that a control pad seems a poor substitute.

nli10

Kafel said:
I'm having a lot of fun with Zombie Football Carnage. I see why some here complained about the difficulty but after a few rounds and some upgrades the game is not so harsh with the player anymore. A perfectly-timed dash is key and chance with items and weaker random enemies greatly help. Bought.

Thought I'd hate ZFC, but it's pretty good once you get a few upgrades - the curve will be too steep for most people I fear.

It's no MotorHEAT but MilkStone are proving reliable.

Trumpets

Kafel said:
FishCraft is shit. Not only the pace is so slow I nearly felt asleep but the game has also slowdowns in case the frustration created by the control scheme wasn't enough.
Lack of animations, lack of enjoyable physics, it's really a heartless and shameless copy of Angry Birds. I feel sorry for people playing this because they don't have access to AB.

Sometimes the XNA Community is cruel to let shit like this pass without warning competent authorities about copyright infrigements. Hopefully the problem will be solved soon.

Agreed. Making a game of the same type is fine, but copying everything, even down to the cut scenes and menus, stinks.

Kafel

Banned
^
I've tried the game and unfortunately it's not very good. The sound effect(s?) is annoying, plus it's always the same whether you bump into a wall or another car. There's no music and the game is boring despite cute tracks and cars. Finally, the steering won't let me good souvenirs. It's quite disappointing overall.

Feep

Banned
Kafel said:
^
I've tried the game and unfortunately it's not very good. The sound effect(s?) is annoying, plus it's always the same whether you bump into a wall or another car. There's no music and the game is boring despite cute tracks and cars. Finally, the steering won't let me good souvenirs. It's quite disappointing overall.
Kafel cuts no slack, man. I mean, if I can get a 7/10 from him, that's like a perfect score from everyone else.

Kafel

Banned
Feep said:
Kafel cuts no slack, man. I mean, if I can get a 7/10 from him, that's like a perfect score from everyone else.

Yeah, I hope for you that you've planned to put music in your game ... >: |

Feep

Banned
Kafel said:
Yeah, I hope for you that you've planned to put music in your game ... >: |
Man, you need the tag "Unreasonable Demander" up in here. Music?! What am I, made of cash and/or talent?

Oh, one thing about FishCraft that it does different that I wish it would have copied a bit closer is the aiming.

Obviously the iPhone version has the touch controlled slingshot, but in the PSP version of Angry Birds, you use the analog nub to pull back on the slingshot and then you press X to launch it, it works decently well to simulate the touch screen controls, alllowing for you to choose the strength and angle in a more satisfying manner than up/down to aim a cannon.

Probably would have been better on an Xbox controller too because of how much better it's stick is compared to PSP's iffy analog nub. As is, the aiming system feels a lot more mechanical and less "fun", I guess. But still miles better than Onager (the other Angry Birds on Xbox).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Diablohead said:
Well it's a different then having over sized rat kings with red eyes at least.
I'd buy a triple A title where the main enemies were women with over sized breasts and red eyes.

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
lol, I played the demo and it's entertaining - everything is a still shot, and the demo cut me off very early.

There are boobs. Most of the art is actually quite nice - it's just very static.

You move through the dungeon just by pressing buttons that take you to the next scene. I am not sure how combat works because I won every fight just by picking a random attack.

Hard to tell how much is there honestly and at 240 I wasn't risking it.

SmallCaveGames said:
lol, I played the demo and it's entertaining - everything is a still shot, and the demo cut me off very early.

There are boobs. Most of the art is actually quite nice - it's just very static.

You move through the dungeon just by pressing buttons that take you to the next scene. I am not sure how combat works because I won every fight just by picking a random attack.

Hard to tell how much is there honestly and at 240 I wasn't risking it.

It seems to just be you have to pick the right attack or you instantly die. Pretty much just a game of picking random things to see what works then having to memorize that for next time. No gameplay beyond that.

Miutsu

Nice to be able to post in the thread that i most look forward to on gaf! (newly accepted member).

Shame that I still don't have a 360 so i cant try the indie games recommended in here but I will get one soon as the current project I'm working on has started development (a XNA game) and I'll need an xbox for debugging.

Great work toythatkills! And everyone else contributing to the thread.

Top Bottom