• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Player Rep is a JOKE

I want to bring everyone's attention to a really bad problem plaguing games on Xbox Live. First it was the Master Chief Collection and now the new Gears of War Ultimate Edition. Player reputation feedback sounds good on paper, but it's open for flagrant abuse without any checks and balances. If someone doesn't like you for any fleeting reason they can go to your profile and leave slanderous feedback.

The problem is that the feedback affects your matchmade games. I went from "good" reputation to "avoid" within a matter of 2 days after playing some Gears of War UE with a friend (in a private chat mind you):
How to get bad rep on Xbox Live

I guess some players didn't like that I dominated them and left false feedback to screw me over. Well, they won. I can't find games in matchmaking anymore. I have to wait for a game to come up every 10-15 minutes if I'm lucky. Edit: I can no longer get into a game. =(

What was Microsoft thinking?

Why have they STILL not done anything about this?

I spent good money on their products and just because I'm good at the game I can no longer play the games online consistently.

EDIT: Go to the Gears of War Forum and you will find several threads of this happening to other players. Ridiculous.

With respect, are you one of those really good players who back the enemy in their spawn and just pick them off? Because I know I've thrown more than a few "Unsporting" reports for that kind of thing.

With respect, are you one of those really good players who back the enemy in their spawn and just pick them off? Because I know I've thrown more than a few "Unsporting" reports for that kind of thing.

I don't play Team Deathmatch, so no. I also don't steal kills intentionally. I was in a party chat with my friend the past 2 days, so there is no way they could hear any trash talking either.

Only Excecution/Warzone gametypes.

Off topic: Also, that's not unsporting. It's a result of a game flaw. Team Deathmatch doesn't really fit GOW in my opinion.

Wow people fucking with your XBL rep because their pissed at you doing well in Gears of War.

Did I fall into a time portal into 2006 again?

joecanada

Reminds me of gta online getting bad rep for stealing, blowing up player cars in GTA... I was like huh? The games called grand theft auto. What a mess that was, I mean the cars are even insured it's like gta charm school lol

Hip Hop

I don't play Team Deathmatch, so no. I also don't steal kills intentionally. I was in a party chat with my friend the past 2 days, so there is no way they could hear any trash talking either.

Only Excecution/Warzone gametypes.

Off topic: Also, that's not unsporting. It's a result of a game flaw. Team Deathmatch doesn't really fit GOW in my opinion.

I don't think much warrants an "Unsporting" thing unless it's a game where you can purposely kill team mates. Outside of that, anything is fair game.

I don't think much warrants an "Unsporting" thing unless it's a game where you can purposely kill team mates. Outside of that, anything is fair game.

Exactly. It's so open to interpretation and whining filled emotional vents towards other players in a freaking video game.

I just can't believe that my matchmaking comes to a screeching halt because of this. Someone on the Gears forum called Xbox live about it and they suggested that his friends give him good rep to compensate...however friends can't leave you rep so...

It sucks. But then again who cares.

You serious? I can hardly find games after just a couple days of playing the game legitimately. I care and a lot of other players care.

Madness

How big of a loser do you actually have to be to go out of your way to give negative rep all because you got your ass handed to you. I've been playing Gears and Black Ops 3 beta myself and noticed my rating was a bit down. I'd hate to think someone actually did it out of spite. I wouldn't be surprised though. Last gen, I used to laugh at how I had a few percentages in the unsportsmanlike conduct or trash talking things I got when I always play fair and clean.

aember

Sounds like Gears 3 when I played it.

Bad rep at launch when the majority of people didn't know how to even active reload, wait a year for the less skilled population to die out and then rack up the good rep from the skilled competitors.

Though I don't recall having issues with matchmaking and I had some seriously low rep. Is it strictly an Xbox One thing?

213372bu

Banned
It's stupid, and I know how that feels.

I'd get 80% avoid rating or something and have lots of people rate me as hacking because I would consistently get a high k/d and stick in lobbies, which I guess was suppose to be bad etiquette back in MW(2)/Halo 3 days. Yet somehow I still had 5 stars and was able to get in good matches.

I'm assuming MS still went all in after they went back on MCC? Stupid.

Sounds like Gears 3 when I played it.

Bad rep at launch when the majority of people didn't know how to even active reload, wait a year for the less skilled population to die out and then rack up the good rep from the skilled competitors.

Though I don't recall having issues with matchmaking and I had some seriously low rep. Is it strictly an Xbox One thing?

Microsoft has been implementing the rep system into their matchmaking systems. I don't know how many games are affected though. It's supposed to match "good" reputation players with each other and let the "bad" rep players play together. BAD IDEA.

Kayant

It sucks. But then again who cares.

The gift that keeps giving huh...

It's like something is broken in Gears in terms of rep or people are just extra salty for you to drop rep so much in such a matter of time. Sorry for your issues OP, MS hopefully will be looking it in time.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I remember they advertised this as one of the awsome feautures of Xbox One. If you "play" like a jerk, you only get to play with jerks.

Kayant

I remember they advertised this as one of the awsome feautures of Xbox One. If you "play" like a jerk, you only get to play with jerks.

Yep which is why I feel it's one of the reasons more has not been done yet given there has been reports for a while.
why not just get rid of rep altogether. self regulation is a pipe dream

PR bullet point.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Yeah, this reputation system won't do any good if it's so open to abuse -- I don't have a better solution, but what they're doing clearly isn't working.

Maybe Microsoft could ask for clips of the alleged behavior and review cases individually. Of course, that would require way too much man-power/money, but it'd be a lot better than letting anyone screw over anyone else on a whim.

Oh hey another one that got hit by that shit...

It really looks like that its a really big problem in Gears UE. More and more people coming up with reports getting a shit Rep and not able to play anymore.

Microsoft cant be serious about this...

Gamezone

Gold Member
Oh hey another one that got hit by that shit...

It really looks like that its a really big problem in Gears UE. More and more people coming up with reports getting a shit Rep and not able to play anymore.

Microsoft cant be serious about this...

I think it's a problem in their 1st party games.

poodaddy

I'm not surprised, though I had no idea it was that easy to abuse. I'll be honest here and say the Xbox live community, as well as the way it's moderated, is the reason why I largely abandoned online games on Microsoft platforms. The last time I played a Microsoft game online was Crackdown, and I was given negative feedback for wanting to complete objectives and avoiding the player in my game who just kept trying to kill me. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with playing Microsoft platforms if that's your thing, but I am saying it's hands down the worst gaming community I've ever seen, with the Steam community coming in at a fairly distant second. I remember watching a friend of mine do well at Call of Duty Modern Warfare back in the day and get called an absolutely insane amount of racial slurs every time he won. Not to mention the way my wife is spoken to when she plays Titanfall. I learned my lesson, stick to single player games when I turn on my xbone. Like I said this is just my experiences and I'm not saying any Xbone players here are like what I just said, it's just my observations.

I'm not surprised, though I had no idea it was that easy to abuse. I'll be honest here and say the Xbox live community, as well as the way it's moderated, is the reason why I largely abandoned online games on Microsoft platforms. The last time I played a Microsoft game online was Crackdown, and I was given negative feedback for wanting to complete objectives and avoiding the player in my game who just kept trying to kill me. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with playing Microsoft platforms if that's your thing, but I am saying it's hands down the worst gaming community I've ever seen, with the Steam community coming in at a fairly distant second. I remember watching a friend of mine do well at Call of Duty Modern Warfare back in the day and get called an absolutely insane amount of racial slurs every time he won. Not to mention the way my wife is spoken to when she plays Titanfall. I learned my lesson, stick to single player games when I turn on my xbone. Like I said this is just my experiences and I'm not saying any Xbone players here are like what I just said, it's just my observations.

Unfortunately, Gears has one of the most salty and toxic communities to ever spawn in recent memory. So it naturally follows that people will go out of their way to leave bad rep.

I can't say Xbox Live has any worse demographics though. Sure, I might run into more young players, but almost any competitive game is filled to the brim with jerks. I play CSGO and it's known for being toxic.

I buy Xbox because Halo and Gears are my jam.

He shouldn't care about not being able to use an online service he pays for in a game he paid for?

Are you trolling or just ignorant?

Amen.

Maximus.

Yea that was bullshit when I used to use my 360 as my main console. Do well in a match, get a bad rating and a bullshit negative comment. Sucks that it affects your ability to find a game online :/

poodaddy

Unfortunately, Gears has one of the most salty and toxic communities to ever spawn in recent memory. So it naturally follows that people will go out of their way to leave bad rep.

I can't say Xbox Live has any worse demographics though. Sure, I might run into more young players, but almost any competitive game is filled to the brim with jerks. I play CSGO and it's known for being toxic.

I buy Xbox because Halo and Gears are my jam.

Amen.
You're absolutely right that every competitive community has jerks, (I've been playing fighting games since I was 3 and I gotta say I absolutely despise that community), but there's something about the Xbox live community that I can't put my finger on, but I've just never grown to despise other online communities quite as much. I will say that The Killing Floor and Left For Dead communities are actually so vile that they may have the Xbox live community beat, so I guess there's that. But I totally understand buying a console for that main game. For me it was Killer Instinct, I was so sure that was never coming to PC......I was so sure. :/

The rep system works?

I been a member since it began and never really paid attention to it.

I did avoid a few players in PGR as they were racing dirty and I came across them again.

The rep system works?

I been a member since it began and never really paid attention to it.

I did avoid a few players in PGR as they were racing dirty and I came across them again.

360 Rep System is different than the XboxOne Rep System

I dont see the problem you can go watch some TV or play some sports insted. -Don

Are you for real? Not being able to play Multiplayer in the product you payed for is Ok to you? wtf

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My suggestion if not to get rid of the system is put a monitor on how often people report others, if they go above a certain captcha in a period of time, or even just overall, maybe return rep to the people they flagged and lower the rep of the one issuing them.

My suggestion if not to get rid of the system is put a monitor on how often people report others, if they go above a certain captcha in a period of time, or even just overall, maybe return rep to the people they flagged and lower the rep of the one issuing them.

I get what you are saying, but I don't think it would prevent what happened to me and others. It only took 4 bad reps to screw my matchmaking up. FOUR lol

Either they need to make the measurement of negative reps received in a certain period of time a lot bigger before impacting a player's rep, or they just need to remove the rep system and just emphasize using the "ignore/block player" feature instead.

Kouriozan

Giving power to players to screw up other people gameplay (by preventing them to find any matches) is ridiculous, this system seriously need a revamp.

Steroyd

Seen a few of these threads, sounds great on paper, but as ever there are always people who game the system.

Yeah, this is what happened to me in gears 3 and 3sOE. If PSN had the same system, oh man.

Sounds horrible, I remember getting colourful messages in Destiny just because I didn't run to my death all the time and successfully defended a key base to ensure my team's victory.

Akai__

I'll never understand why they thought this would be a good idea. Sorry, you got hit by morons who can't lose Fahzgoolin.

Where would be the best place to raise Microsoft's awareness of this issue?

They kinda already know. 343i and MS worked on a solution, that would fix the "block player" issue in MCC rannked. I'd be surprised, if they didn't notice the other issues yet.

But in case they don't know yet... Threads like this and tweeting to some higher ups until they notice should help.

Tweet Phil Spencer until he notices.

Guess I'll need to make a Twitter account... BLEH

I'll never understand why they thought this would be a good idea. Sorry, you got hit by morons who can't lose Fahzgoolin.

They kinda already know. 343i and MS worked on a solution, that would fix the "block player" issue in MCC rannked. I'd be surprised, if they didn't notice the other issues yet.

But in case they don't know yet... Threads like this and tweeting to some higher ups until they notice should help.

I don't get it either... I have a feeling they tried fixing the "block player" issue, but didn't mess with the rep abuse itself.

And thanks man. I really want to play my game again. I just tried a variety of playlists (Competitive or Social) in Gears and it won't match me with anyone...

Will I get to play my game again? This is seriously worrisome. I have only had it for 3 days =(

Anybody can down rep someone, why they decided to trust a rep system to the community is beyond me.

Live really just needs a grief reporting system. The console has the ability to record now.

Akai__

Guess I'll need to make a Twitter account... BLEH

I don't get it either... I have a feeling they tried fixing the "block player" issue, but didn't mess with the rep abuse itself.

And thanks man. I really want to play my game again. I just tried a variety of playlists (Competitive or Social) in Gears and it won't match me with anyone...

Will I get to play my game again? This is seriously worrisome. I have only had it for 3 days =(

If you finish games without being reported, you'll gain positive Rep over time. That goes for all MP games, if I understood correctly.

Not sure if it would help, if people give you random positive feedback.

Top Bottom