• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

Well, at least he's trying to keep us in the loop. Unfortunately, that means having to deal with changes in plans
As an aside, what a time we live in where a corporate exec is directly communicating and even apologizing to his company's fans.

I agree, although I think he would have been much better served to say there is news coming soon or something than to have to keep apologising for them moving it back

Chris1

Shame there won't be any news this week either. I guess that means this BC update will be a big one then?

I think it's actually improved

Is it just me or does it feel super buttery smooth? felt like a locked 60fps on BC. MS done some wizardry shit on that game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Shame there won't be any news this week either. I guess that means this BC update will be a big one then?

Is it just me or does it feel super buttery smooth? felt like a locked 60fps on BC. MS done some wizardry shit on that game.
They even packed in some higher resolution textures and upped the resolution to 1080p.

It's the new BC secret sauce. Every game gets upgraded to 1080p/60fps with improved textures.

This is the way RDR should be played.

kevin1025

Banned
For a game like Arkham Origins, since the campaign is only on the first disc and two-disc games aren't compatible in the foreseeable future, would they put the game on the list?

kevin1025

Banned
Arkham Origins isn't even available digitally, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Noooo, I just bought it for 96 cents, this shatters my dreams. Ah well, I can always switch out HDMI's and play it on 360. I didn't know it was unavailable digitally, that's odd. Is it because of the two discs that they never put the game up?

Noooo, I just bought it for 96 cents, this shatters my dreams. Ah well, I can always switch out HDMI's and play it on 360. I didn't know it was unavailable digitally, that's odd. Is it because of the two discs that they never put the game up?

I'm honestly not sure. There are some two-disc games that are available to purchase digitally.

Halo 4 is 2 disc and also digital. They'll find a way for 2 disc games to happen.

Halo 4 isn't really "2-disc" though. It was technically programmed as a one-disc game with the second disc content being packaged as "free DLC" that happens to be distributed on a second disc. That means it's very easy to distribute as they can just bundle in the "free DLC" like they did with Gears of War.

I have no idea how Arkham Origins is setup, but most two-disc games (particularly older ones) are two completely distinct executables that happen to access the same save data, which makes them very, very different from Halo 4 technically speaking.

kevin1025

Banned
Halo 4 isn't really "2-disc" though. It was technically programmed as a one-disc game with the second disc content being packaged as "free DLC" that happens to be distributed on a second disc. That means it's very easy to distribute as they can just bundle in the "free DLC" like they did with Gears of War.

I have no idea how Arkham Origins is setup, but most two-disc games (particularly older ones) are two completely distinct executables that happen to access the same save data, which makes them very, very different from Halo 4 technically speaking.

Arkham Origins is set up as first disc single player, second disc multiplayer. So my thought is that since I really doubt the multiplayer is still booming, they might just make the first disc BC until they figure out the two disc BC problems. Hopefully....though who knows.

im_dany

I'm honestly not sure. There are some two-disc games that are available to purchase digitally.

That's because they adapted the game to work as a single-disc game with additional free DLC: Rockstar did this to every release (GTA5, Max Payne 3, LA Noire).
For example EA never did that for their games (Dead Space 2-3, Mass Effect 2-3, Battlefield 3-4 and probably more) so they're not available for digital purchase.
Square didn't for FF13, but they did it for FF13-2. I heard between those two releases MS released some tools for adapting multi-discs games but I'm not sure this is true, but that would explain why FF13 is not available for digital purchase but the sequel is.

Hey guys prolly a dumb question, but I accidentally deleted shadow complex off my xbone, how do I get it back, since it's not in the live store.

This is silly. They said all it takes is approval, and they have that.

Titles have different publishers with different goals and they have to test each title and make sure each game works as expected, based on that they are not going to commit to anything they don't have approval for. Making a sweeping statement is only going to get them in trouble.

Phil has mentioned past GwG titles, I am sure he will be working to get them on it but guaranteeing all of them is probably not something MS can do as it is.

Top Bottom