• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

dLMN8R

I wonder if this is simply a strategic decision since The Handsome Collection doesn't include BL1? Otherwise I'd expect to see BL2 and TPS as supporting back-compat too.

BondFancy

I wonder if this is simply a strategic decision since The Handsome Collection doesn't include BL1? Otherwise I'd expect to see BL2 and TPS as supporting back-compat too.
I'm pretty sure it didn't include BL1 because it ran on a different engine.

So if I do not have Borderlands 1 on 360, but I want to play it on my Xbox One, is there any way I can purchase it through the Xbox One store?

I know if I go on an old 360 and buy it then it will show up in my Xbox One library, but I want to buy it without having to do that.

Kingbrave

My biggest concern is that Backward Compatibility is going to be treated like an event - a marketing opportunity with each individual title release designed to make a big splash with lots of hoopla - rather than just releasing the d@mn thing with a 1000 other titles.

If we get a slow drizzle of games (100 each month)....that seriously takes away from the thrill of the thing for me personally. Don't make me unnecessarily wait for a title's release just because you want to flood my twitter feed.

How is 100 a month a slow drizzle?

Bizzquik

My biggest concern is that Backward Compatibility is going to be treated like an event - a marketing opportunity with each individual title release designed to make a big splash with lots of hoopla - rather than just releasing the d@mn thing with a 1000 other titles.

If we get a slow drizzle of games (100 each month)....that seriously takes away from the thrill of the thing for me personally. Don't make me unnecessarily wait for a title's release just because you want to flood my twitter feed.

How on in the world is 100 games in a month a slow drizzle? Especially when something like Nintendo's Virtual Console exists. They also have to test the games and make changes to the emulator as issues pop up and and performance gets better.

Virtual Console :(

How is 100 a month a slow drizzle?

I'm saying if they just need publisher approval, just flip the d@mn switch and make it happen!
Don't tease me that this game may come to Xbox One...eventually.... If the tech is ready, there's no d@mn reason to make me wait.

insert Colbert-GiveItToMeNow.gif

I'm saying if they just need publisher approval, just flip the d@mn switch and make it happen!
Don't tease me that this game may come to Xbox One...eventually.... If the tech is ready, there's no d@mn reason to make me wait.

well, it's not that it's being teased right now so much as that it's still in beta. Things aren't perfect, hence us seeing updates for games Like Shadow Complex for example.

I wouldn't really complain about the rate theyre coming out till it's officially out of beta.

They have to test the games and make sure they work with the emulator.

Ade

So how is the DLC situation ?

Is it just integrated in one big image (whether you own it or not) or is each DLC a seperate download.

Unsure, there's seemingly no sign of anything beyond the one title to download, but it refuses to install 100% as its refusing to recognise my digital license

FyreWulff

Hopefully they figure out full native DLC integration though. For certain games it makes sense.

For others like Rock Band Blitz, that's roughly 30-40GB of DLC they'd have to package in the image.. would hate for Blitz to have to be left out over that

Ade

Hopefully they figure out full native DLC integration though. For certain games it makes sense.

For others like Rock Band Blitz, that's roughly 30-40GB of DLC they'd have to package in the image.. would hate for Blitz to have to be left out over that

Iirc games with uniquehardware are out.

im_dany

Lol they won't keep it, publishers won't be happy with that. It'll definitely get changed.

It's not like they're still making a lot of money out of them though.
In multiplayer games that would help a lot in keeping a user base around, since DLCs split players and kill communities.

Chris1

Not my pic. Screenshots and recordings are disabled for BL1 due to licensing issues.

vbdpnV0.png

Yoday

Not my pic. Screenshots and recordings are disabled for BL1 due to licensing issues.
Must be due to the opening song. I would rather have those features disabled than not have the game BC, and I would welcome this solution for any game that runs into licencing issues.

c0de

which is stupid since you know, it's on PC which has a print screen BUTTON. And any software can record it.

It's not stupid, it's a question of if the system allows such restrictions. "Why do you sell your music? I can download for free via torrents!" If you have a system which allows what you want to achieve, you use it. Just because you can easily circumvent it on PC makes no difference.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Well, we are talking about screenshots, right? They should be possible to take. Just disable the option to press x for recording a clip after double tapping the xbox button.

CRAIG667

Borderlands seems to suffer the same tiny amount of input lag as Gears of War, hopefully it is fixable before public release.

It's playable but irritating all the same.

Is it just integrated in one big image (whether you own it or not) or is each DLC a seperate download.

I've only ever played BL1 on the 360 for the first mission and never owned the DLC, yet it started up with prompts showing all the DLC had been installed (on XBox One, obvs).

When I tried to access the Online Store, it gave an error which said 'Marketplace not available. Try later'.

Borderlands seems to suffer the same tiny amount of input lag as Gears of War, hopefully it is fixable before public release.

It's playable but irritating all the same.

So does geowars1. And in that game, any noticeable input lag is game breaking. Not sure why people aren't making more of a stink about it like they do with frame rates.

willbsn13

It's integrated into one big image. No seperate downloads. Played through the first bit and when I got the ability to fast travel, the DLC locations were there. I didn't try it but I assume it would work, and I'll try in a sec to confirm.

I wonder if "fuck it, DLC is free" will be the norm, or if this was a very specific case of Gearbox/2K knowing they probably wouldn't get a worthwhile amount of profit from BL1 players 5 years and a console platform later and just giving a free pass. That's probably the case, but if it does become the norm, that would make future GWG releases a bit more interesting.

im_dany

So does geowars1. And in that game, any noticeable input lag is game breaking. Not sure why people aren't making more of a stink about it like they do with frame rates.

Because "normal" players don't notice input lag. Hell, some people don't even notice a difference between 30 fps and 60 fps...

Went on and voted for a bunch of games this morning. Most of the games that I voted were in the middle of the pack. A few that I voted for include; Shadowrun, Iron Brigade, Brutal Legend, and Rez HD. Thanks for taking this on Microsoft. Fees good man.

I wonder if "fuck it, DLC is free" will be the norm, or if this was a very specific case of Gearbox/2K knowing they probably wouldn't get a worthwhile amount of profit from BL1 players 5 years and a console platform later and just giving a free pass. That's probably the case, but if it does become the norm, that would make future GWG releases a bit more interesting.

I was willing to pay for it but I'll take it for free!

im_dany

Behemoth just announced that Castle Crashers is going to be backward-compatible "in the near-ish future". Owners of the 360 version (ME!) will be able to get it for free until 20th september, then it's going to cost 5$ (4€ for us europeans like Minecraft then?).

That means EvB got another one right, even if that game already had a remastered edition announced.

I still have high hopes about his list, I hope he got atleast half of that.

Here it is, for those who missed/forgot it:
Alan Wake
Asura's Wrath
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Bayonetta
BioShock 2
Bioshock Infinite
Borderlands
Braid
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Call of Duty MW2
Call of Duty Black Ops II
Castle Crashers
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Cloning Clyde
Condemned
Crackdown
Crackdown 2
Dead Island
Dead island Riptide
Dirt Showdown
Dragonball Z Xenoverse
Fallout 3
Frogger
Gears of War
Ghost Recon : Advanced Warfighter
Harms Way
HItman Absolution
Just Cause 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Metal Gear HD Collection
Metal Slug XX
Minecraft 360 Edition
Mirrors Edge
Ms. Splosion Man
Oblivion
Final Fantasy 11
Portal 2
Portal : Sill alive
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2
Red Dead Redemption
Resident Evil 5
Risen
Sonic Adventure
Soul Calibur
Soul Calibur IV
Street Fighter IV
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
The Orange Box
Toy Story 3
Tron Evolution
Trials Fusion
Worms Ultimate Mayhem

Chris1

Huge respect to behemoth. Any publisher that makes their games BC when there's a next gen version of it gets a spot in my good books.

Top Bottom