• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

Chitown B

Titles have different publishers with different goals and they have to test each title and make sure each game works as expected, based on that they are not going to commit to anything they don't have approval for. Making a sweeping statement is only going to get them in trouble.

Phil has mentioned past GwG titles, I am sure he will be working to get them on it but guaranteeing all of them is probably not something MS can do as it is.

Uh, I'm only talking about "from now on" which is what he said. This is "from now on" now.

Chris1

Uh, I'm only talking about "from now on" which is what he said. This is "from now on" now.

That was just him messing up probs but yeah, I thought it'd be Sept onwards aswell.

Pick the 360 GWG's up anyways just to be on the safe side. Just because it isn't a requirement to be BC yet, doesn't mean it won't be.

BORDERLANDS (incl. DLC) available TODAY

If you own Borderlands, you’ll be able to play it on your Xbox One and you can carry over your previously-saved files, game add-ons and achievements.

http://majornelson.com/2015/09/03/borderlands-coming-to-xbox-one-backward-compatibility/

Like I said in the other topic, they should really put these games on sale when they go BC and again in November. I'd pick Borderlands up for a few quid but I'm not paying full price for it in 2015.

speedomodel

Have the GOTY edition and haven't touched DLC yet, sooooo will give it a go at some point. Awesome news, although we already knew this was coming.

Chris1

I wonder what their DLC solution is.
Well the emulator is on a game by game basis, I imagine it's just telling the emulator what DLC's you have and baking them into the actual game like Gears? Which would mean if you were to buy the DLC at a later time you would have to redownload the game so it should be easy to test.

mike4001_

I don´t have my disc anymore.

Maybe someone can check if we just download an image with all the DLC included or we can download the DLC seperate (which would be the better solution in terms of used space for people who did not buy all DLC)

Well the emulator is on a game by game basis, I imagine it's just telling the emulator what DLC's you have and baking them into the actual game like Gears? Which would mean if you were to buy the DLC at a later time you would have to redownload the game so it should be easy to test.

Or maybe they are putting all the DLC into the game download and portions just unlock based on what you own? Having to download the entire game every time you purchase DLC wouldn't be a very elegant solution.

Like I said in the other topic, they should really put these games on sale when they go BC and again in November. I'd pick Borderlands up for a few quid but I'm not paying full price for it in 2015.

Borderlands was £3.75 very recently (I bought it) and gameplay was shown in a video Major Nelson did for it over E3 so... that one should have been expected.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Or maybe they are putting all the DLC into the game download and portions just unlock based on what you own? Having to download the entire game every time you purchase DLC wouldn't be a very elegant solution.

That is exactly how it is handled.

I know , but MS could do a bit of pressure to the third party

We don't know what they are doing behind the scenes, we know they have a decent list of third-party publisher support but Phil has said its more about making sure the emulator works properly in preview rather than just dumping games onto it.

Chris1

I guess that would work too but will take up a few GB's that people will never use if they don't have the DLC.

Another solution could be that it won't even have to download the entire game again & just the emulator which is like 500mb~ and the DLC. Though I'm not sure how possible this is since whenever there's been an update so far it's been the entire game you had to re download.

Borderlands was £3.75 very recently (I bought it) and gameplay was shown in a video Major Nelson did for it over E3 so... that one should have been expected.
Yeah I was thinking about picking it up but decided to hold off since they weren't adding many games in preview and I figured it'd go on sale again before the official release. I think Borderlands games are on sale a lot so I shouldn't wait too much longer for a sale hopefully.

I'd have imagined that it would just download the game and they would add the code to the modified packages telling it how to handle DLC, so that it can be downloaded just like native Xbox One content. It'd be similar to the way they did Xbox 1 DLC on 360, it just installed to a separate, hidden partition dedicated to the emulation.

Ein Bear

Not a huge Borderlands fan, but it's really cool that they've got DLC working already. Wasn't expecting that for a while to be honest.

Bizzquik

Reach and Gears 3 please....

Borderlands ? Wtf ?

My biggest concern is that Backward Compatibility is going to be treated like an event - a marketing opportunity with each individual title release designed to make a big splash with lots of hoopla - rather than just releasing the d@mn thing with a 1000 other titles.

If we get a slow drizzle of games (100 each month)....that seriously takes away from the thrill of the thing for me personally. Don't make me unnecessarily wait for a title's release just because you want to flood my twitter feed.

Syriel

Most likely.

On a side note it seems I don't own Borderlands.
I could of swore I got it free with Games for Gold.

Nope. But both Borderlands and Borderlands 2 have been on sale for less than $5 multiple times.

Borderlands was a PS+ title on PS3. You might be confusing that with GwG.

My biggest concern is that Backward Compatibility is going to be treated like an event - a marketing opportunity with each individual title release designed to make a big splash with lots of hoopla - rather than just releasing the d@mn thing with a 1000 other titles.

If we get a slow drizzle of games (100 each month)....that seriously takes away from the thrill of the thing for me personally. Don't make me unnecessarily wait for a title's release just because you want to flood my twitter feed.

How on in the world is 100 games in a month a slow drizzle? Especially when something like Nintendo's Virtual Console exists. They also have to test the games and make changes to the emulator as issues pop up and and performance gets better.

Syriel

All Gears games got added to backwards compatibility with the Ultimate edition didn't it?

All Gears games were announced as being available for BC when BC launches and anyone who plays UE before the end of the year gets all four BC copies for free.

People have been complaining that the games aren't available NOW even though they were never promised for a beta feature.

expletive

Are you able to play BC titles on 360 and XBO simultaneously if you are using cloud saves or once you start/continue it on XBO, you are locked into it on there?

FyreWulff

Are you able to play BC titles on 360 and XBO simultaneously if you are using cloud saves or once you start/continue it on XBO, you are locked into it on there?

You can go between the One and the 360. As far as Live is concerned you are playing on an actual 360 when you're in BC mode.

speedomodel

That was just him messing up probs but yeah, I thought it'd be Sept onwards aswell.

Pick the 360 GWG's up anyways just to be on the safe side. Just because it isn't a requirement to be BC yet, doesn't mean it won't be.

It's £3.24 on Amazon, I'm sure even cheaper on Ebay.

The 360 OS doesn't know whether you're playing via Xbone hardware or 360 hardware.
So you can switch between whichever console you want :)

RdN

Did Borderlands ever come out as a Games with Gold title?

I don't have my disc anymore, but if it was on GwG I might have downloaded the digital.

Top Bottom