• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you

PBY

Banned
See we have problem with you using the word "faith". You could have said the same thing like this: "I'm sure MS legal department has not done anything illegal." Most of us would have agreed with you. But when you use the word faith we just find it so fuck'en bizarre.

When you are outside MS looking in you don't use the word faith. MS executives have faith in MS legal. Xbox owners should not have "faith" in MS legal.

Thats your problem then dude, faith is a perfectly normal term to use in terms of my thoughts on their competency.

You're the one bringing in all these external notions, but I'm not trying to get into a semantic argument over "faith" vs "sure"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That legal agreement is shady as fuck. When will you learn Microsoft, jesus. Throw your consumer relations department out the window and start again.

Hmm.

gopTih4.png

MY SIDES

Not a surprise. MS pays off publishers, press, retailers, and viral marketers to come on places like here and reddit. Why shouldn't they pay youtubers too?

BPoole

Microsoft is diseased. Rotten to the core. There's no saving it - we must pull it out from the roots. Wipe the slate clean. Burn it down!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Of course Gies and Kuchera are against this. This effectively makes them middlemen.

Why should I bribe the expensive, jaded, cynical, ineffectual "enthusiast press" when I can pay a bunch of internet hypemen THREE WHOLE DOLLARS and they'll do whatever I say?

Oh, yes, please think about the REAL press!

It was actually pretty genius of MS to offer such a laughable pittance in respect to all the videos that would inevitably be made they wouldn't even need to pay for. Fake it til you make it.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
He totally missed the boat man. He had people begging him to write a story about this a few days ago, he could have "broke" this story in a sense. Now, he will just be coat tailing the story, I think he missed his chance.

Too bad he had too much on his plate, I love his writing.

EDIT: Looks like he IS doing something, I just wish he would have jumped on it sooner. However, I know he was busy.

I don't think he would have had a story without the agreement to be perfectly honest, it was the final piece of the puzzle and I feel for him because it was the only aspect that made the difference between a lame story that was premature and a proper scoop, but at least he was considering it, and that deserves recognition, I feel for you Jason, such is the life of press huh? :p

Jburton

Banned
Old news. Just an example that all companies will pull this shit. MS just got caught, just like Sony did.

Is this going to be the tagline for dismissing corporate shittiness when we like them?

It depends on how it plays out. If it turns out that they are asking you to say something positive, then that's obviously crossing the line. If they just want you to feature some footage, then it's more grey.

I can obviously understand they don't want to pay you for shitting on them, and I said that earlier. But I don't think they should be expecting praise. The guidelines are pretty vague, so it's hard to tell.

I can tell why people are upset, but pretending it's just Microsoft who does this kind of thing is silly.

Nobody is pretending only MS have / are doing this ............ that's a narrative only playing out in your head ........ all that says is that this news (hence it being a big deal, this is now ...... Sony got shit on in 2006, they do similar shit now then it will be news again and they will get shit on too) offends your own particular bias .......

....... therefore we get the look others do this too, can we stop hating on MS.

This is low and they are being called out, anyone defending them in whatever guise will certainly be noted by me as being dubious in nature ....... whether that's a shill or just a fanboy.

Inexcusable back when Sony where found out, and inexcusable now in regards to MS.

Dennis

Banned
ahahaha, wow

Integrity, get some

Two Worlds II™: Game of the Year Edition - on sale now!

EMT0

Banned
Man, this is going to be one hell of a week. I can feel it. Keep burning whatever goodwill you had left, MS.

Zemm

I don't see how they're hiding it when they need to tag the videos with XBM13 or whatever it is. There's no way I'd take those videos seriously though.

I don't see how they're hiding it when they need to tag the videos with XBM13 or whatever it is. There's no way I'd take those videos seriously though.

It's a random tag. People who are not cognizant about the campaign will have no idea that they're being paid to be Microsoft shills.

FiggyCal

Banned
Of course Gies and Kuchera are against this. This effectively makes them middlemen.

Why should I bribe the expensive, jaded, cynical, ineffectual "enthusiast press" when I can pay a bunch of internet hypemen THREE WHOLE DOLLARS and they'll do whatever I say?

It reminds me of a U.S. governor who ran with the promise of making the state a safer place for children and to crackdown on pedophiles and make tougher pedophilia laws. Little did we know that he had inappropriate interactions himself with an underage boy. The situations are entirely identical.

Zabant

Well said.

Even if they had the tag or not, the fact the agreement specifically tells them to AVOID saying it's a sponsored campaign makes it illegal.

Top Bottom