• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you

zma1013

Microsoft is nice and good and fun and their products are good and always work and they make me happy. Now I must go, I have speed limits to break in my newly acquired Ferrari.

oti

Banned
06323be93659e2a28e72d5cacd3879d6465a726fbc51739a0acc80ef49563aa2.jpg

I can't get the Sessler video to load, but in the other one the guy specifically mentions "Today's sponsor". In other words, right there you know that he's being paid and you might not want to take what he's saying as the truth. MS wants you to say something nice or neutral about their console without actually telling anyone that they're paying you to say that.

Big thread incoming? If shit hits the fan due to this, im interested in what will happen with the relationship between Machinima and MS.

Like who will turn on who and try to throw the other under bus lol.

My popcorn is popping. lol

Recall

How are people missing the disclosure part? It's fucked up.

Any advert makes it clear someone was paid, but hiding it is awful.

_woLf

Ho-lee shit. The fact that they're being told to not say "Sponsored by" or something along those lines is what makes this absolutely insane.

What the fuck, Microsoft?

PBY

Banned
Oh right, because MS has never lost in court before.

? Never said that. I am saying that this form was drawn up by their legal dept, which is very qualified and has undoubtedly drafted many forms like this in the past.

Not saying they're infallible, but its unfathomable that they didn't consider this issue.

Jeff-DSA

Guys, it's been no real secret that Machinima makes these deals. I've taken flak for calling them out on it, so I'm extremely happy that they finally got called out by a reputable and highly visible source. Machinima is dirty to the core, from their business practices to their ethics involving advertising and "editorial."

Toki767

? Never said that. I am saying that this form was drawn up by their legal dept, which is very qualified and has undoubtedly drafted many forms like this in the past.

Not saying they're infallible, but its unfathomable that they didn't consider this issue.

This must be the legal version of Albert Penello's "technical fellows" line.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
At least by tagging their videos, they made researching offenders easy for the FTC :D

Detective gaf out of nowhere
Just because this is starting to make people assume I work for Microsoft...

My Facebook header is from Halo 3:ODST. My Desktop Background is from Forza. My Phone background is Destiny. My Laptop Background is The Last of Us. My room is filled with Sonic The Hedgehog and Destiny stuff.

I constantly use products and franchises I'm excited for to describe and personalize my stuff. I changed my Twitter background to the Xbox One in order to work in with the launch happening that week, and haven't been bothered to change it. :p All detective GAF proved was I'm a fan of the Xbox brand... Which isn't a secret or anything. :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Goddamn it, MS. It's like you're trying to see how shitty of a company you can be perceived as. Every time I start to come around and feel bad at some of the criticisms I've thrown at them in the past year they do shit like this all over again.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

The Ars Technica article links an FTC document which describes almost this exact same scenario. A video game blogger gets a free system from a video game console manufacturer and they have to disclose that they got the system for free in their review.

How does this not apply in the case of actual money?

fantomena

My Facebook header is from Halo 3:ODST. My Desktop Background is from Forza. My Phone background is Destiny. My Laptop Background is The Last of Us. My room is filled with Sonic The Hedgehog and Destiny stuff.

I constantly use products and franchises I'm excited for to describe and personalize my stuff. I changed my Twitter background to the Xbox One in order to work in with the launch happening that week, and haven't been bothered to change it. :p All detective GAF proved was I'm a fan of the Xbox brand... Which isn't a secret or anything. :p

You're inahabil then.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The worst (or best) part is the cap on the money they're giving. These videos will stay on the internet far longer than they're paying out for. $1.25 M for years and years of marketing.

Gorillaz

Guys, it's been no real secret that Machinima makes these deals. I've taken flak for calling them out on it, so I'm extremely happy that they finally got called out by a reputable and highly visible source. Machinima is dirty to the core, from their business practices to their ethics involving advertising and "editorial."

naw I've been saying shit about Machinima for awhile too. Mainly in the way they run and treat there commentators like shit. Unless if they are some of the big dogs like a Hutch

GrizzNKev

Banned

No one thinks you're being paid by MS. You've proven that with your hilariously misinformed opinions. You just look really desperate.

Seems neutral to me...

squidyj

At times on this forum, people have expressed satisfaction with the xbone's troubles and others have called them fanboys and asked "why would you want the xbone to fail?"

This is why. It's not console wars for me, it's just, fuck Microsoft and all of their shady shit.

Zimbardo

why oh why couldn't it have been a console world of Sega, Nintendo, Sony? or just Nintendo and Sony?

fuck i can't stand Microsoft.

derFeef

Don't feel too bad, the person calling you out has a PS logo on the avatar... It's a little bit ironic (but not as bad).

Top Bottom