• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you

Finalizer

They were.

Meant to imply something more like "if they did anything in the future," but even then it's besides the point in the first place. The topic is about MS' fuck-up; the only reason Sony gets brought up in the first place is as a knee-jerk defensive reaction to criticism of fanboys' favored corporation.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Mr. Kotaku dude, add in that it's limited to $1.25M total payout.

It was 1.25M views, not dollars, they screwed the pooch but it only cost $3750 :p

Microsoft should know they're doing something horribly wrong when they're marketing the Xbox One as much as they are, yet they still feel the need to do this. Anyways, this is just one more reason for me to avoid the garbage Machinima puts out, not that I really needed it in the first place.

0ed.gif

Here we go again folks!

Would be underwhelming if this was the shitstorm cboat was talking about, but based on bishop's reaction, I'm guessing it isn't.

IvorB

So the total budget is what, $3750? The campaign is probably already over. Bad and crummy all around lol
Whoever sells out for that little cash is an idiot...

The campaign yet lives. All those videos would still be online. Good way for MS to get bang for their marketing buck.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Technically, the agreement doesn't require you to be nice. It just means that, obviously, Microsoft aren't going to pay you $3 CPM if you make a video that starts going "LOL 720p, beta tested in the future, PS4 for the wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!" So it really needs to be tested to see if this violates any FTC rules. In theory, you should just be able to get your payout by playing an Xbox One game, mentioning that it's on Xbox One, and then basically talking about any old subject over the top. I've seen a lot of people do it. One guy basically played Super Mario 3D World while talking about why he took his Xbox One back.

Beelzebubs

You ever get the feeling that this will backfire horribly for them and most Youtubers will just avoid saying positive things to keep their credibility?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I feel bad for the genuine fans— they won't be able to a drop a single positive mention without escaping accusations unscathed. Good jon, MS.

Burbeting

Banned
Can't say I'm really surprised at this revelation, but yeah. Stuff like this is really unethical, and should be called out on.

Hopefully MS answers soon enough on peoples questions about this practice, and does it clearly, instead of trying to crawl their way out of this mess (after the disaster known as X1 reveal, I'm starting to think they won't answer :( ).

CCIE

Banned
MS is desperate - and a desperate MS will do ANYTHING in order to ensure success. History shows us that much

Steel

Banned

Woah. I completely thought people that were saying microsoft was bribing people to say good things about the X1 were just tin foil hatters.

Whelp. Time for me to go eat crow.

jaded_up_

Banned
the bolded is exactly what I just said, way to totally misconstrue my post.

Not particularly seeing as you were trying to justfity it with "but, again, I have faith in MS legal".

"it's cool, it's legal guys. MS attempts to weasel into a favourable position are totally legal. Just give them your money already, it's all legal. Look at the effort they've gone to undermine you! They care!"

So gaming sites (aside from ones like Kotaku who already have and are generally pretty good with this stuff) are probably going to do their jobs for once and actually report on this, right? "Don't trust people on YouTube, keep reading us instead" has to be too good to pass up.

Tripon

The funny thing is...

If Nintendo had done this I would've been okay with it and even happy to see them acknowledge their fanbase on Youtube. Hahaha...

*sigh*

What? Nintendo does do this with youtubers, and disclose the source. They just released a skit with FreedieW, and the Whatcha' playing this week, Ash? crew.

ProJared, Jirad of the Completists, among others have gone on record that they received review and free games from Nintendo when warranted.

The fact that MS is insisting on anonymity is an intentional decision on their part.

KoopaTheCasual

Lol at people defending this or saying they "don't see the difference" between this and a banner ad? I can't even fathom how dense you must be to not understand why this is an extremely questionable/shady practice. They use the term "influencers" for Christ's sake!

PBY

Banned
Not particularly seeing as you were trying to justfity it with "but, again, I have faith in MS legal".

"it's cool, it's legal guys. MS attempts to weasel into a favourable position are totally legal. Just give them your money already, it's all legal. Look at the effort they've gone to undermine you! They care!"

well, way to totally ignore my point.

jayu26

What's wrong with faith? Their legal team is very good. I know this. If I had to bet, I'd bet on their legal team.

I still think the policy is gross.

You do not understand the connotation of word "faith" in that sentence then I can't help you man.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Woah. I completely thought people that were saying microsoft was bribing people to say good things about the X1 were just tin foil hatters.

Would you like it raw, rare, medium rare, medium, Medium well, or well done?
I don't think they will. Unless legal charges are brought on them. But for $3,000? Who cares?

Give them an inch and they take a mile?

PBY

Banned
You do not understand the connotation of word "faith" in that sentence then I can't help you man.

I have FAITH in their legal team to draft a legal contract.

Thats all I was saying. You're bringing other connotations to my post, and I can't help you there.

nib95

Banned
Well shit, he better be getting paid for that.

Edit:

Get upgraded

Man, my sister just got back from NY, and I was disappointed in your notes. The designs are not bad, but they feel like monopoly money, and there's barely any difference between the $100 bill and $1 bill. In the UK the £50 note is a fair degree larger than the other notes.

Our £20 vs your $20.

IMG_3195.JPG

Feorax

So now a huge chunk of positive feedback about the XB1 and it's games from here on in will be treated with extreme skepticism.

Good job MS.

fantomena

If I understand this correct, what MS is doing is bribing YT channels for showing positive commercial about the Xbone WITHOUT showing it actually is a commercial? In normal ads and commercials are we being told they are ads and commecial, but not this?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Chances are there's also message board and social media astroturfers around as well. It's not limited to youtube. Marketing is a heck of a thing these days; have to really try and channel it out and focus on the facts without subliminal coercion.

MS just doomed every legitimately positive YouTube video for at least the near future to be viewed with suspicion and the comments will be sure to highlight this issue. Scummy, possibly illegal and executed incompetently.

There's no easy fix to the gaming industry's problem.

Publishers (magazines, websites, etc.) preview and review games while producers (publishers, developers, etc.) control access to the games. Writers will lose their audience without timely coverage - something they can only get if they keep game makers happy.

Rock, meet hard place.

Goldmund

The fact that this happened on such a small scale and budget is almost more troubling. It's as if the responsible parties only think in commodities and services, that speaking positively about you (or whom you represent) is quite naturally and correctly done so with financial gain in mind, which needs to be addressed contractually.

Top Bottom