• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One and Machinima: Be nice or neutral, and don't tell anyone we're paying you

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Can you assure me with 100% certainty after this incident that every streamer on youtube is disclosing their endorsements?

No, but they should be, and should be called out on it until they are, satisfied?

Should they continue to lack the disclosure, they should be come down hard on by the FTC or other relevant bodies.

qko

the question makes no sense. I can't guarantee that everyone in the US won't murder someone tomorrow hence murder is okay. Cool makes sense

"Can you assure me with 100% certainty after this incident that every streamer on youtube is disclosing their endorsements?

"Can you assure me...": Are you certain you can tell me
"...with 100% certainty...": that you are 100% sure
"after this incident": in reference to the MS/EA incident,
"that every streamer on youtube": that every person that streams video game content on youtube
"is disclosing their endorsements?": is letting their viewers know of their endorsements that may cause a conflict of interest?

Are you certain you can tell me that you are 100% sure in reference to the MS/EA incident, that every person that streams video game content on youtube is letting their viewers know of their endorsements that may cause a conflict of interest?

Now that I've rephrased the question, can you finally answer yes or no?

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I sense a chewbacca defense.

♫May it be as the pattern has chosen
Oh, wheel of time
Turn the wheel of time
It keeps on spinning
There's no beginning
There's no end, wheel of time
There's no beginning
Just keep on spinning
♫

Round and round we go.

Freki

"Can you assure me with 100% certainty after this incident that every streamer on youtube is disclosing their endorsements?

"that every streamer on youtube": that every person that streams video game content on youtube
"is disclosing their endorsements?": is letting their viewers know of their endorsements that may cause a conflict of interest?

Are you certain you can tell me that you are 100% sure in reference to the MS/EA incident, that every person that streams video game content on youtube is letting their viewers know of their endorsements that may cause a conflict of interest?

This is the strangest fucking strawmen I've ever read on this forum...

I've got an interesting question. Why does it matter?

qko

You're the one ducking the question as you still haven't addressed the actual point of the outcry.

No one asked if I understood the actual point of the outcry. I feel if you boil down to it, when the content ID matter occured, there were many Gaffers so upset about how youtube was putting these poor streamers out of their livelihood, many who may have been already under these kinds of terms and conditions we are uncovering this week.

I see a lot of people going to xb1m13 tagged videos calling them sellouts and a lot of the authors of the videos responding "hey, I'm just trying to get paid".

A lot of people are super pissed off at MS and Machinima for asking streamers to not to disclose the conditions to get paid, but what about the streamers who probably would not have disclosed these conditions anyway?

Jomjom

Banned
A lot of people are super pissed off at MS and Machinima for asking streamers to not to disclose the conditions to get paid, but what about the streamers who probably would not have disclosed these conditions anyway?

Err... then it would be on the streamers if they were told to disclose, but decided "NAH! I LOVE MS I'M GOING TO BREAK FTC REGULATIONS AND RISK LIABILITY TO MYSELF BY NOT DISCLOSING MY PAYMENT TO HELP THEM OUT!"

The point is MS and Machinima didn't just ask they demanded that they not disclose and therefore, they broke FTC regulations, regardless of what streamers would or would not have done. That is why the blame is on MS and Machinima.

No one asked if I understood the actual point of the outcry. I feel if you boil down to it, when the content ID matter occured, there were many Gaffers so upset about how youtube was putting these poor streamers out of their livelihood, many who may have been already under these kinds of terms and conditions we are uncovering this week.

I see a lot of people going to xb1m13 tagged videos calling them sellouts and a lot of the authors of the videos responding "hey, I'm just trying to get paid".

What do you suggest we do? Because it's impossible to ensure everyone does everything legally, but that doesn't mean that when companies like Microsoft/Machinima have been caught red-handed they get a free pass.

Skeff

I think you need to take a step back and think about it.

WHADDA COMEBACK!

You should probably focus on the scores of people taking the time to discuss this with you, and not the silly oaf constantly mocking you (yours truly, of course)

But yah my advice is pretty good, you should just stop talking

Jomjom

Banned
What do you suggest we do? Because it's impossible to ensure everyone does everything legally, but that doesn't mean that when companies like Microsoft/Machinima have been caught red-handed they get a free pass.

That defense totally works for me when I go to rob someone.

"Hey you can't prove to me that the person I was robbing from didn't obtain that money illegally anyway! Therefore I am innocent!"

qko

I for one welcome tighter regulations that would involve massive fines like for TV and radio broadcasters, but I know that is a VERY unpopular and controversial route since a lot of be like their internet free from all type of regulations.

Osiris

That defense totally works for me when I go to rob someone.

"Hey you can't prove to me that someone in the world would not have happily given me that money anyway! Therefore I am innocent!"

You should have seen the look on the coppers face when I pointed out to him that he couldn't prove that everyone else wasn't also four times over the limit whilst driving back from the pub.

He didn't only let me go, he let me drive his squad car home too, as mine was kinda embedded in a few pedestrians.

Green Yoshi

Three months ago: There is a segment of GAF that hated that streamers got stripped of monitization. Claims of "why is Nintendo mad? Its free advertising!"

Now: there is a segment of GAF that hates that streamers got monitization. Claims of "Can't trust youtube streamers now, they are sellouts to the highest bidder!!!"

c78.gif

I don't think that anyone wanted these people to get their money directly from Nintendo instead of from the advertising clips, that are shown before their videos start.

The point of the outcry is it's shitty when you have what appear to be ordinary people getting paid to advertise to you, without you knowing they're getting paid to advertise to you.

ok if it makes you feel better, no I cannot guarantee that. As my previous response should imply.

NOW WHAT ON GODS GREEN EARTH DOES THAT MATTER?

qko

The point of the outcry is it's shitty when you have what appear to be ordinary people getting paid to advertise to you, without you knowing they're getting paid to advertise to you.

Which is why I asked the question that everyone jumped down my throat about. Are you completely sure that streamer you think is playing a fun game of FIFA or Dead Rising 3 isn't doing it because they are getting paid $3 per view from the makers of the game/console? Seems that created a storm because everyone wants to think it's the sole responsibility of the corporation and not of the streamer as well. There were plenty of streamers that were happy to take the bait (and are being quite arrogant and proud of it) and should justly be included in the penalties as well, in my opinion.

Every move they have made since about 2008, I keep wanting them to tank harder every year. Okay, I guess I have been wanting them to eat dirt since my launch 360 died in June of 2006 just after buying Forza 2 and 'S blaming the RRoD on me mousing my 360. And this is coming from someone who bought a launch Xbox and a launch Xbox 360. If I have more time at some point in the near future, I am considering picking up a Wii U over this thing. Keep digging that hole Microsoft.

Which is why I asked the question that everyone jumped down my throat about. Are you completely sure that streamer you think is playing a fun game of FIFA or Dead Rising 3 isn't doing it because they are getting paid $3 per view from the makers of the game/console? Seems that created a storm because everyone wants to think it's the sole responsibility of the corporation and not of the streamer as well. There were plenty of streamers that were happy to take the bait (and are being quite arrogant and proud of it) and should justly be included in the penalties as well, in my opinion.
OMFG that fucking TAG! Phenomenal.

Chobel

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

C'mon guys, keeping the fun to yourselves while the rest of us are in the Sessler thread.

Is there anymore to it then that? Do they discuss the nondisclosure part at all?

I really don't want to give Machinima ad money directly

they skim it with the other rules and then quickly go to saying that everyone does this "look look GAF reported on EA too, also product placement in movies and stuff"

"Oh and please still watch our vids we are not biased even though our parent company might do this we have stated our sponsors every time"

No discussion on how it is different from the rest

Chobel

Is there anymore to it then that? Do they discuss the nondisclosure part at all?

I really don't want to give Machinima ad money directly

Machinima said:
Partners should have been told to make it clear but they're promoting the Xbox One videos while still keeping the details of the agreement confidential up. For some reason that part was left out the contract. Our team is looking into what happened with this particular contract

That's it.
------

they skim it with the other rules and then quickly go to saying that everyone does this "look look GAF reported on EA too, also product placement in movies and stuff"

"Oh and please still watch our vids we are not biased even though our parent company might do this we have stated our sponsors every time"

Yeah, the video was fucking pathetic.

That's it.

Thanks guys. So fluff piece is a fluff piece

That's too bad

Figures. What a joke.

Top Bottom