• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

You can't truly install XBLA compo discs to a 360. Why would that matter though, we are talking about the One.

It should work, I think. MS has to account for every disc-based distribution tied to each digital release. You'll just need the disc in the drive everytime you want to play it, like X360.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I don't think a lot of you have the correct appreciation for the amount of work and logistics it takes to get just a single game on this list to your Xbox One. Not like it's any fault of yours, MS hasn't made public exactly what the whole process entails.

Yes, the list might seem like they choose easy games, or some less popular arcade titles...but it's no easy undertaking and I think some people need to just think about what the process might entail. Withiut saying anything, just try and brainstorm a little bit and realize what they are doing and coordinating is pretty damn impressive.

Either way, I'm glad to see Activision is on board, and Bioshock is coming :)

I'm grateful that we even get backwards compatibility.
Every 360 GwG-title from now on available on Xbox One, too, is great. This makes it 2 additional games each month for bc + the games they'll add each month(some already announced, Bioshock etc.)

The OP needs an update with that list :)

Chitown B

"Why do they even bother asking people what games they want if all they do is arcade games!! Garbage!!!"

Come on people. Out some thought into stuff.

Like, you think al they do is click a box that says "magically work on Xbox One"

Some of these responses are disgusting.

actually that's kind of what they did say. Spencer said it's an entire 360 emulation, so the games should pretty much just work.

Kadin

There's a handful of games there that I'll gladly play and I have to remember that this is a major free update that I had no idea would ever happen when I got my X1. With that said, I can see why they waited so long to put out the list. A lot of games missing that people would love to see. Ah well, I'll just cross my fingers on soon™.

Demise

Could you folks calm down? Its the FIRST list. As in, there are more coming.

JKXGZAi.gif

Christ on a stick man.

Yeah, but still a terrible first list nonetheless.

BuddyL33

Neo Member
I'm more anxious to see most of my digital downloads become backwards compatible. Currently I think I only have Kingdoms for Keflings and Zuma, or something like that. I'd love to have Lords of Shadow 2 on there and a few others. I keep checking, hoping that they will show up in my list of available to install.

I think MS should have a list of
"we're working on BC on these titles at the moment, expect them within Q1 2016, but no promises, if we can't get the optimization where it would need to be to actually release it"

To get current-BC-disappointed Xbox One owners to shut up and to win the people over, who haven't moved to this-gen yet,

the list should at least have games on it that...
- have no right-negotiating problems because the IP and game is owned by Microsoft themselves (edit: reason here is that, if MS owns it and it's not on the list, it can be taken as an indication that not every game can be made compatible)
- people, who don't spend a lot on new games still play regularly ...like older CoD games or couch-co-op / split-screen games
- are prequels to upcoming or out-now games like Mirror's Edge, Halo Wars, Reach (we know it's coming, but some more visibility, like having it on a list would be nice).

Sulik2

I just want to know if the technical issue with multi-disk games has been solved that Phil Spencer mentioned on Giant Bomb at E3.

I am so happy right now. I never would have thought that Ikaruga would be on the initial list. Glad to see nights there as well.

Somnia

The problem is that some devs are still probably planning on the remaster route, and will not want to damage that route of revenue. For example, I'd take a guess at that being why Red Dead isn't there

If not the re-master route, they are planning on using their games as PR/Marketing for their next game.

I can almost gurantee you we see ME2 and 3 (and 1 probably) added to EA Access & BC leading up to ME: Andromeda. I can foresee this happening with most major sequels and if they have some form of a marketing deal with MS or not they may include their old games with the new game (like just cause, gears, fallout, etc.). Publishers are going to use the gold mine they have available to them.

So as person who bought Doom at launch when it was published by Activision...am I going to have a hell of time getting it on XB1 now that it is published by Bethesda?

This seems like a nightmare conversation to have with a sustmore support rep.I'd pay the $5 to buy it again just to avoid all of that but I don't even think I can do that since it shows up as already purchased.

I have the activision versions too, I hope something can be done for us to play them.

Trago

If not the re-master route, they are planning on using their games as PR/Marketing for their next game.

I can almost gurantee you we see ME2 and 3 (and 1 probably) added to EA Access & BC leading up to ME: Andromeda. I can foresee this happening with most major sequels and if they have some form of a marketing deal with MS or not they may include their old games with the new game (like just cause, gears, fallout, etc.). Publishers are going to use the gold mine they have available to them.

That's my thinking as well, for example, Ubisoft is giving Xbox One owners previous Rainbow Six games with copies of Siege. They don't need to spend a dime.

muzzymate

Will check later.

Just logged in remotely to my Xbox and they are not currently appearing in the "Ready to Install" list. It's either later today or the 12th (more than likely the 12th).

Edit: And the Xbox.com page has been updated from "today" to "starting November 12"

arhra

I think MS should have a list of
"we're working on BC on these titles at the moment, expect them within Q1 2016, but no promises, if we can't get the optimization where it would need to be to actually release it"

One problem: the entire internet would stop reading at the end of the bolded section and ignore the rest, then flip their shit if things didn't work out exactly as they'd hoped by the end of January.

tomhan

I actually like the list of backward compatible games....for selfish reasons. Rainbow Six Vegas is one of the few FPS games supported and as that was my favorite multiplayer last generation I'm hoping its inclusion in the list will spark a resurgence of the multiplayer.

Chucker

Lots of SEGA, lots of Namco, and Ikaruga.
Good enough for me. I'll be juggling between H5, FO4 and Destiny anyway.

m14

Someone should tell Amazon UK, seeing as they very recently put the price of Halo: Reach up to £29.53, when it was previously about £10...

EvB

I've put together another list from several sources, I have also compared the list to released games and marked whether the games have been on Games with Gold, as I suspect they will be amongst the first.
What you'll notice with this list is that there is a smaller number of retails titles, but with a couple of heavy hitters.

Curiously, there are almost exactly 100 games on top of the already released games...

CTUTp2TWIAE_412.png

https://twitter.com/EvilBoris/status/663458130974670848

Pretty good hit rate here on the final list if I don't say so myself. I'm genuinely suprised by Red Dead not being there. The number of correct ones pretty much confirms it in my mind that it is up and running

Demise

If only there were a system where you could play those games amirite?

Kidding.

But seriously, I think we'll all live.
q3vVHGH.gif

Yeah, but the only sole reason i'm waiting on Bc compatilibity is to get rid of my 360 I just keep for Vanquish, Bayo, Catherine, DMC collection and such.

The girl is cute.

Fenix Rage has to change its name because of a legal battle. Apparently Bethesda has argued that the word "Rage" is their property and can't be used lmao...

TwIsTeD

If Black Ops 2 and/or Red Dead Redemption made the first cut the amount of moans would have been reduced - it's the Internet so regardless we would all complain

Why are you lying to yourself? The inital list is bad, why should it get any better?

I reckon the announced titles will the peak of what we see in the next 12 months, but apart from that there will be not a lot of other big titles. If you subtract all the garbage then there is maybe like 10-15 good games, most of them Arcade.

Really thought MS is doing good for the last few months, but this is the same old "lots of talk/marketing, little effect/action" bs. Same reason why I hate Major Nelson.

Holy hyperbole Batman. Take that mess out of here. What reason do you have to believe they won't add more and better games? Microsoft has been doing better for quite some time. Sure this initial list isn't that great, but they clearly are still working on getting publishers to get more games on the list. Give it some time before you go declaring B/C a bust. It hasn't even released yet.

thundr51

I know this is probably a stupid question, but, since this is supposed to be a virtual 360 any chance 360 controllers work?

Good list, I own a lot of those XBLA games and haven't touched them.
Still would have appreciated some more fighting games though.

Yeah, but the only sole reason i'm waiting on Bc compatilibity is to get rid of my 360 I just keep for Vanquish, Bayo, Catherine, DMC collection and such.

The girl is cute.

Alison Brie!

Honestly, I've not turned on my 360 in...a while...it may actually be dead. I'm really looking forward to backwards compatibility as well.

I'm grateful that we even get backwards compatibility.
Every 360 GwG-title from now on available on Xbox One, too, is great. This makes it 2 additional games each month for bc + the games they'll add each month(some already announced, Bioshock etc.)

The OP needs an update with that list :)
Been at work, will update it first thing when I get home and include store links for every game announced today :)

actually that's kind of what they did say. Spencer said it's an entire 360 emulation, so the games should pretty much just work.
Lol no.

Top Bottom