• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

Chitown B

Fable II but not 3 or Anniversary? Why? Ms. Splosion Man but not Splosion Man? Why? It's annoying. Do all of each series. ESPECIALLY first party stuff. It's like they're waiting just to trickle them out.

Yeah, that's about the best I can say.
About what I expected, which is to say I hoped for more stuff I care about personally.

Yeah, the list could have been more exciting, but I'd like to believe starting off with smaller and possibly less demanding titles first clears the way for ensuring better-performing releases with every new list and, perhaps, a commitment to more thoroughly tested choices rather than throwing in big names because that's what people want to see sooner than later. I mean, all emulation takes time to mature and increase compatibility and apparent accuracy. Not surprised by the negative (over)reactions, but up until five months ago, virtually no one believed it was even fucking possible. *shrug*

gossi

Here's the November list, for those who haven't seen it yet:

A Kingdom for Keflings
A World of Keflings
Alien Hominid HD
Assassin’s Creed II
Asteroids & Deluxe
Banjo Kazooie: N n B
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
BattleBlock Theater
Bejeweled 2
Bellator: MMA Onslaught
Beyond Good & Evil HD
Blood of the Werewolf
BloodRayne: Betrayal
Borderlands
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
Castle Crashers
Castlestorm
Centipede & Millipede
Condemned
Crazy Taxi
Deadliest Warrior: Legends
Defense Grid
DiRT 3
DiRT Showdown
Discs of Tron
Doom
Doom II
Dungeon Siege III
Earthworm Jim HD
Fable II
Fallout 3
Feeding Frenzy 2
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 3
Gears of War: Judgment
Golden Axe
Halo: Spartan Assault
Hardwood Backgammon
Hardwood Hearts
Hardwood Spades
Heavy Weapon
Hexic HD
Ikaruga
Jetpac Refuelled
Joy Ride Turbo
Just Cause 2
Kameo
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game
LEGO Star Wars: TCS
Lode Runner
LUMINES LIVE!
Mass Effect
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug XX
Might & Magic Clash of Heroes
Mirror’s Edge
Missile Command
Monday Night Combat
Monkey Island 2: SE
Monkey Island: SE
Ms. Splosion Man
Mutant Blobs Attack
N+
NBA JAM: On Fire Edition
NiGHTS into dreams…
OF: Dragon Rising
Pac-Man C.E.
PAC-MAN CE DX+
Perfect Dark
Perfect Dark Zero
Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds
Pinball FX
Plants vs. Zombies
Prince of Persia
Putty Squad
R-Type Dimensions
Rayman 3 HD
Sacred Citadel
Sega Vintage Collection: Alex Kidd & Co.
Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe
Sega Vintage Collection: Monster World
Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage
Shadow Complex
Sonic CD
Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 3
Super Meat Boy
Supreme Commander 2
Southpark The Stick of Truth
Tom Clancy’s RainbowSix Vegas
Tom Clancy’s RainbowSix Vegas2
Torchlight
Toy Soldiers
Toy Soldiers: Cold War
Tron: Evolution
Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon
Viva Piñata
Viva Piñata: TIP
Wolfenstein 3D
Zuma

As expected, it is padded out with Xbox Live Arcade titles.

hurzelein

Holy shit the hyperbole in this post.
They're taking action. They have to negotiate each game individually. There will be 104 Xbox360 games playable on Xbox One on the 12th. It's exactly what they promised. It's nobody's fault but your own if you really thought they'd have 100 heavy hitters available on day one.

Yeah, maybe I'm blowing off too much steam here, but I still think that list is underwhelming. I love Arcade games but come on, there are so many filler games here nobody ever wants to replay.

Chitown B

Yeah, the list could have been more exciting, but I'd like to believe starting off with smaller and possibly less demanding titles first clears the way for ensuring better-performing releases with every new list and, perhaps, a commitment to more thoroughly-tested choices rather than throwing in big names because that's what people want to see sooner than later. I mean, all emulation takes time to mature and increase compatibility and apparent accuracy. Not surprised by the negative (over)reactions, but up until five months ago, virtually no one believed it was even fucking possible. *shrug*

I want to ditch my 360. But until I have confirmation that some of my favorites can be played on X1 then I have to hold on to it. And that's really frustrating. Alan Wake for one.

TechOne

No Soul Calibur 4/5 or Halo Wars? What a garbage list.

97PGHdb.gif

Edit: Ok so Halo Wars is coming soon.

I don't think a lot of you have the correct appreciation for the amount of work and logistics it takes to get just a single game on this list to your Xbox One. Not like it's any fault of yours, MS hasn't made public exactly what the whole process entails.

Yes, the list might seem like they choose easy games, or some less popular arcade titles...but it's no easy undertaking and I think some people need to just think about what the process might entail. Withiut saying anything, just try and brainstorm a little bit and realize what they are doing and coordinating is pretty damn impressive.

Either way, I'm glad to see Activision is on board, and Bioshock is coming :)

I'm happy with the list so far, Dirt, Doom 1 and 2, Monday Night Combat, Mass Effect, Gears series, Vintage Collections, Sonic CD, Joy Ride Turbo... all games I like and want to replay or finish up.

It might even make me finally play Dirt Showdown if I can get it for cheap.

Y0j1mb0

As expected, it is padded out with Xbox Live Arcade titles.

I'm good with this. I bought a shitload of stuff on the 360 that I never beat or hardly touched and now when I get my Xbox One I'll be able to. That and I'm addicted to Hardwood Spades.

Jawmuncher

As opposed to when? Better sooner than later, right?

There are quite a few decent titles on that list, with more come.

Unless December brings some big titles, I don't see too many people being impressed with this list. Especially odd to push stuff like Halo Reach and not even have it there for the first batch.

shanafan

I don't think a lot of you have the correct appreciation for the amount of work and logistics it takes to get just a single game on this list to your Xbox One. Not like it's any fault of yours, MS hasn't made public exactly what the whole process entails.

Yes, the list might seem like they choose easy games, or some less popular arcade titles...but it's no easy undertaking and I think some people need to just think about what the process might entail. Withiut saying anything, just try and brainstorm a little bit and realize what they are doing and coordinating is pretty damn impressive.

Either way, I'm glad to see Activision is on board, and Bioshock is coming :)

Exactly. Who knows why RDR hasn't been announced yet. Maybe Rockstar is planning a remaster next year, and they don't want the game to be BC. Don't need to hate on Microsoft, as they are ones working with the publishers to get BC for everyone's favorite titles.

"Why do they even bother asking people what games they want if all they do is arcade games!! Garbage!!!"

Come on people. Out some thought into stuff.

Like, you think al they do is click a box that says "magically work on Xbox One"

Some of these responses are disgusting.

Cruxist

Damn, no Civ or Halo Wars. Those are the 2 games I really really wanted.

And if Fable Anniversary ever gets brought up, I'll buy it.

Chris1

"Why do they even bother asking people what games they want if all they do is arcade games!! Garbage!!!"

Like, you think al they do is click a box that says "magically work on Xbox One"

Not to mention a massive chunk of Arcade games are published by Microsoft and we've known all their games will be BC. Xbox 360 games with gold is 1 retail & 1 arcade too, so there has to be at least some.

It's not the amount of Arcades I find the list disappointing, it's that there's no big hitters like RDR etc.

derFeef

Yup.

People expectations were way to high for this lol. It's been known a majority of the games were gonna be Arcade titles which isn't a bad thing by the way.

It was never going to be a bunch of retail titles at BC's launch. That's going to come later down the road.

Somnia

LOL @ people saying this list won't get better.

I hope you know companies like EA are saving ME2 and 3 more than likely till Andromeda gets closer, they will make them BC titles and put them on EA Access to build up the hype.

I can already see publishers scheming this way and don't see how others don't see that. It's obvious from Gears, Fallout 4, Just Cause and Rainbow Six including those games as bonus's, they are goign to use the 360 version of games as hype machines for the "new" version.

So yes this list will keep improving big time.

Lettuce

A solid start which will only get better as the months go one...Jesus there is no pleasing some people, we're lucky we have BC at all guys just be grateful!

Other than Monster World the only other arcade game I wanted was Castlevania, boo! I actually thought that was a good chance/reasonable expectation.

Oh well, maybe next time!

Do we know how it'll work with disc based games? Like you put the disc in, it downloads a digital version from the store that will only run when that disc is detected in the drive still? I assume that is how it'll work.

muzzymate

I'm actually quite happy with the list for a first month. At no cost to me, I'll be able to access a lot of previously digital purchases that I had no way to play on current hardware. I'm actually surprised at the number of titles that will soon be sitting in my Ready To Install list.

Edit: Just calculated that a little more than 25% of my digitally owned 360 games are on this first months list. That's way better than I anticipated, quite honestly. Very happy and hope that percentage up even higher in months to come.

Jinaar

Not a great list, SHADOW COMPLEX being the only game I own and still need to pass and really want to play it after enjoying the hell out of STRIDER recently on the PC.

I am sad about not getting HALO WARS or REACH but since HALO 5 is out, why flood the market with more HALO at this moment. I can wait a month or more.

blakep267

I think this is a solid list. Between borderlands South Park, and the gears games, I just added 4-5 extra games on top of my November gaming list.

Demise

No bayonetta, no Vanquish, no Catherine, no Red Dead, no Mark of the ninja, no DMC collection, no Halo Reach, no Forza...

P3mM7.gif

They teased us with this list for months now. Seriousely they can eat it.

HUELEN10

Holy shit, NiGHTS Into Dreams will play AMAZING with the stick tension of the One controller.

HYPE!

Also, I got a retail copy of Crazy Tazi, what do?

EBreda

Beyond Good & Evil HD = awesome
Call of Juarez Gunslinger = pretty good
Condemned = amazing
Crazy Taxi = shame about the soundtrack, great game still
DiRT 3 = gooood
Fable II = yeees
Entire GoW saga = great
Ikaruga = awesome
Just Cause 2 = yes!
LEGO Star Wars: TCS = not bad at all
LUMINES LIVE! = unexpected, hopefully all music videos are bundled! amazing title
Mirror’s Edge = superb
Monkey Island 1 & 2 = thank you
NBA JAM: On Fire Edition = awesome
NiGHTS into dreams… = yes thank you
Pac-Man C.E. & DX = hnnng
R-Type Dimensions = great!
Entire Sega Vintage Collection = hell yes!
Entire Sonic Genesis/CD = yess!
The Stick of Truth = wow!
Tron: Evolution = cult favorite of mine!

Great list to start with!

Z_Y

So as person who bought Doom at launch when it was published by Activision...am I going to have a hell of time getting it on XB1 now that it is published by Bethesda?

This seems like a nightmare conversation to have with a customer support rep. I'd pay the $5 to buy it again just to avoid all of that but I don't even think I can do that since it shows up as already purchased.

derFeef

But its only retail release was the Dreamcast Collection compo disc. They all show as separate arcade games, so it should work?

edit: what happened there.
It should, if you installed the arcade title on the 360. I guess the disc won't work?

Obviously just speculating but not even a mention of RDR in the "Don't worry we know." coming soon thing could mean it'll be a while/not even on the cards.... or that it's coming in Jan I guess but I always tend to be pessimistic. :p

My brother will be disappointed no DMC Collection in the first up list, it's what he really wanted. Where the heck is Capcom? :(

Could you folks calm down? Its the FIRST list. As in, there are more coming.

JKXGZAi.gif

Christ on a stick man.

Totally. Everyone decrying is a terrible list are just the worst. Out of 104 games I bet there's at least 5 every single person is sorta interested in.

Look at it like this, releasing all their big games in month one would be dumb for two reasons 1. You'd harm sales of current Xbox one games and 2. It'd be like when you pirate games, you have such a huge amount of choice that you touch each for 5 mins to never return.

I hope they spread this out long term, maybe have offers and deals such as buy X game now get$10 off the next game in the franchise in 3 months time.

If I worked at Microsoft now and saw this thread id be thinking why did we bother. So instead of being a negative vocal (minority ?) group let's be positive about it. The alternative is they don't do this and the Xbox 360 Eco system dies with it.

I'm really excited for the months that follow and hope basically everything comes across somehow.

Nice job Microsoft, keep doing stuff like this!

Z_Y

i admit i overreacted, theres atleast 3 games ill already play this friday

i know its not easy for MS

I agree my initial reaction was off base too. I just assumed ALL first party titles would be there day one. Not like I don't have a backlog from hell anyway. BLOPS coming soon is the big news. Hope that all CODs eventually make it over.

I personally have no interest in it but I'm shocked the thing isn't launching with Reach.

Figured it would be one they championed, LOOK GUYS ALL TEH HALOS ARE HERE NOW etc.

Obviously coming soon, just one of the few I assumed was a shoe-in for launch.

Top Bottom