• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

thundr51

Check out the CronusMAX device to use 360 controllers on Xbox One.

Got a Titan One, so I really wasn't asking for myself as it's a non issue. A guy I work with wanted to know as he has a old Soul caliber stick and is STILL trying to avoid buying another one. Honestly, there's nothing that I would use a stick for on xbone...except DOA5U but otherwise waiting on VF5...which will HOPEFULLY come soon.

Cmon people VOTE!

Syriel

So we can do streaming to windows 10 even if we're playing 360 games?
Awesome if we can, would make things a lot easier

Yes. The XBO sees the 360 games as native apps, so treats it just like any other game.

Also, since game streaming doesn't disable the local display, if you happen to have your PC in the same room as your system, you can start the stream, use your 360 controller (hooked up to the PC) and just play the game on your TV as normal that way. The XBO will just see it as a XBO controller.

I mean, I wouldn't suggest buying a PC just for that, but if you need a spare controller in a pinch and have a laptop or other PC already in the same room, go to town.

List is alright (not amazing, but alright) to me because it's heavy on arcade titles. They're really the only thing I'm interested in BC for since:

A) I'm likely to have owned them digitally
B) I'm not likely to go back and play or replay last gen AAA titles
C) Arcade titles tend to be smaller/quicker experiences that I am likely to pick up for a quick play even today.

That said, I really hope they get Rez in sometime soon.

Chitown B

Lol yes.

"This is actually the same emulator running for all of the games. Different games do different things, as we're rolling them out we'll say 'oh maybe we have to tweak the emulator.' But in the end, the emulator is emulating the 360, so it's for everybody." - Phil Spencer

mike4001_

Lol yes.

"This is actually the same emulator running for all of the games. Different games do different things, as we're rolling them out we'll say 'oh maybe we have to tweak the emulator.' But in the end, the emulator is emulating the 360, so it's for everybody." - Phil Spencer

They can probably tweak that parts of the emulated CPU/GPU get more/less resources.

So if a game uses CPU-part 'A' heavily they increase this to 110% and reduce another one to 90% the game rarely uses.

Resulting in squeezing out the last 1-2 fps for a game.

gossi

They can probably tweak that parts of the emulated CPU/GPU get more/less resources.

So if a game uses CPU-part 'A' heavily they increase this to 110% and reduce another one to 90% the game rarely uses.

Resulting in squeezing out the last 1-2 fps for a game.

They have profiles on each emulated title, to enable forced vsync, that sort of thing. But it's the same 360 OS and HyperV hypervisor running the shop.

The performance loss is generally a few fps per title, as per Digital Foundry (and my own capturing). Otherwise it's largely the same, with HDD access quicker on XB1.

Lol yes.

I'm loling at the fact you think it's as easy as flipping a switch.

derFeef

I was ready to play some NBA Jam or Pacman DX, but sadly those are not available yet even on the Preview NXOE :-(

NBA JAM!!

So is this going to become the OT?

Or is there an OT planned?

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility |OT| Back to the future of 2005

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility |OT| Being stuck in the past isn't so bad

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility |OT| 360 reasons to travel back in time

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility |OT| 360 reasons to go backwards

Kolma

I would be more excited for BC on Xbox One except my 360 works fine.. I know I won't play these games again except for maybe starting them up once going "oh that's neat" and then not touching them.

And lastly, how Xbox 360 BC support was with Xbox Original.
Not all games worked, and those that did had issues...

That said, all the BC games from Rare Replay have worked phenominally and I am super excited to play Lumines Live some more (hopefully Qubed version with DLC works fine)

derFeef

Isn't NBA Jam on offer at the moment?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/P...-Edition/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584111ec

Could have sworn it's usually £9.99 but is showing as £3.39.

Wow, it seems like it. Everyone get it so we can play, hah.
Did not know there are addons. If I download them now via the website, do those become available via BC too?

Like, there is an "unlock all" thing for 4 bucks which I want to buy to just say fuck it and enjoy the game. WIll this work?

Sorry, but can someone explain how this will actually work? For example: I pop in my Gears 3 disc, it installs and I can play it? Can I download Gears 3 DLC to Xbox One and if yes, how?

derFeef

Sorry, but can someone explain how this will actually work? For example: I pop in my Gears 3 disc, it installs and I can play it? Can I download Gears 3 DLC to Xbox One and if yes, how?

It will recognize the disc and then it will download a BC version of Gears 3 to your Xbox One. If you launch it, it will launch the 360 OS and then the game within it. Not sure about DLC - I want to know this as well.

Kordelle

You put the disc in your XB1 and download the game from XBL.
Since you have to download the whole game from XBL I think all availible DLC is included in the File and the DLC you own will be unlocked for you.

MaulerX

How about:

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility |OT| 360 and One reasons to go backwards

Dr Dogg

Wow, it seems like it. Everyone get it so we can play, hah.
Did not know there are addons. If I download them now via the website, do those become available via BC too?

Like, there is an "unlock all" thing for 4 bucks which I want to buy to just say fuck it and enjoy the game. WIll this work?

No idea as I'm not in preview, christ I only jumped back aboard the good ship Xbox on Friday so I'm still in the 'wow everything is shiny and new' phase, but I've seen some folks mention that DLC for Mass Effect and Borderlands show up but wasn't there from the start. Might be the case that it's available of the bat or might need work I guess.

gossi

No idea as I'm not in preview, christ I only jumped back aboard the good ship Xbox on Friday so I'm still in the 'wow everything is shiny and new' phase, but I've seen some folks mention that DLC for Mass Effect and Borderlands show up but wasn't there from the start. Might be the case that it's available of the bat or might need work I guess.

Correct. Mass Effect had no DLC support at first, but now does. I was the person who posted about this at the time, with photos.

ekim

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility |OT| Anyone want to buy an Xbox 360?

I see the price of dirt 3 listed at 24.99

These won't be the prices will they? I am hoping for 9.99 or less for old 360 games to be honest but I would only be dreaming. I already own them on disc so I don't want to pay so much to have them digital for my x1.

MS needs to consider this if they want to move a lot of games.

I may only buy one game if they treat them as new and current prices from the 360 (which I'm sure they will)
I already have most of these games from sales on ps3 though.

Xbudz

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility |OT| One step forward, 100+ steps back.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility |OT| We have a feature for you, it's called Xbox 360.

These won't be the prices will they? I am hoping for 9.99 or less for old 360 games to be honest but I would only be dreaming. I already own them on disc so I don't want to pay so much to have them digital for my x1.

I may only buy one game if they treat them as new and current prices from the 360 (which I'm sure they will)

The prices should be the exact same as anything listed on XBLM for X360 since it's a unified store and the publisher decides. If they want more sales, it's up to them to lower prices or put it on discount during a weekly sale. Until the 15th, Dirt 3 and its VIP Pass are free to download and keep forever even past active Gold membership, like all X360 GwG titles. If you already have the disc, you can just use that, though. I thought you were a Gold member given your recent posts complaining about Halo 5, though...

im_dany

Microsoft doesn't make the prices, publisher does. If digital is not cheap enough go for used discs, as long as it's recognized by the console it'll work. You don't even actually need the disc except for verification, since the game is downloaded from XBL.

Posted this in the other BC thread, but maybe someone just following this thread might know: Has there been any word at all as to whether the DLC disc from the Fallout 3 GOTY edition is going to work? I don't own it, but was thinking about picking it up for $10 during the holiday sales. I have it on Steam, but you have to jump through some hoops to get it to run whenever you do a fresh install, and I'd like to have the whole thing on XB1 so I can just pop on whenever and mess around. If someone owns the disc could they check that out for me on the 12th? I'd appreciate it.

Edit: I see someone's already asked the question, haha.

Nheco

I would be more excited for BC on Xbox One except my 360 works fine.. I know I won't play these games again except for maybe starting them up once going "oh that's neat" and then not touching them.

And lastly, how Xbox 360 BC support was with Xbox Original.
Not all games worked, and those that did had issues...

That said, all the BC games from Rare Replay have worked phenominally and I am super excited to play Lumines Live some more (hopefully Qubed version with DLC works fine)

Banjo Nut's and Bolts has an almost unplayable frame rate imo

Top Bottom