• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

Each part of the DLC is on the store, but it bundle only. I assume you need to buy the season pass if you want to buy it from the Xbox One Marketplace. The DLC is available for purchase separately on the website or you might be able to find it through the ingame DLC menu on Xbox One.

Borderlands 1 includes all the DLC for free on Xbox One. No additional downloads required.
Funny you all mentioned this. The season pass is on sale this week for $10 for Gold members

I never got around to it back in the day, so there's a sale they would have never gotten from me before :p

Montresor

We need these games to be backwards compatible - these are the only 360 games left in my backlog that aren't BC:

Tomb Raider Underworld
Enslaved
Asura's Wrath
Tomb Raider Legend
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Metal Gear Rising
Deadly Premonition
Arkham Origins
Kingdoms of Amalur

Of this list I think only Kingdoms of Amalur has no chance of happening.

I did this back in the day and it worked. DLC even shows up on English on the Storage menu.

I've tried doing right on the Xbox One through the store and it's not working. Did you do it n the console or through the MS site?

NM just tried the MS site and that's not working either. I wonder if I didn't make the Japanese account right or something.

I like it. The thread title should be updated for E3; just in time for more salt.

(I love my PS4 Pro, but seriously - what the hell, Sony...?)

It's Sony M.O. for when they are missing an important feature.

Remember "Rumble is so last gen"?

And later when they sorted it out they lied about it being a next gen rumble and even got Shane from 1Up inventing stuff like you could tell the direction of stuff happening based on the rumble.

Interesting. I had personally filed Marble Blast Ultra as pretty unlikely due to it being delisted for years. One of my first XBLA purchases.

How I regret never purchasing it.

I played the demo a lot, but somehow would always "ok this is what I'm buying next" until one time I finally decided to take the plunge and wasn't available anymore XD

Izuna

Banned
This thread is for news updates, so it wouldn't make sense to move to community where it wouldn't thrive without then.

Anyway, for some reason GeoWars2 isn't showing up in the Ready to Install list for me. I had no idea it was BC a while ago.

E3 next week. like others have said, I expect some mention of BC crackdown at the show so fingers crossed for next week.

Didn't they give it away to Gold members at one point? Even though I have a disc, I remember getting a freebie DL version at some point. Either that or I'm mad.

E3 next week. like others have said, I expect some mention of BC crackdown at the show so fingers crossed for next week.

Didn't they give it away to Gold members at one point? Even though I have a disc, I remember getting a freebie DL version at some point. Either that or I'm mad.

Originally it was a game that could not be installed from disc on the 360. They fixed that and made it a GWG title.

Zeta Oni

I legitimately can't understand how many people on this site would be willing to let something like this never exist just because it either doesn't get enough attention from most players or the somehow even worse explanation; they belive there's no value in older games.

It's mind boggling to me.

When you decide to watch movies, read books, or listen to music from previous generations, you don't have these issues and afaik, people willing to defend them if there ever were. So why do video games seem to be the only form of media that consistently does?

I have an idea on a super original thread title

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility |OT2| why would anybody play this?

This is the one.

Lothars

I legitimately can't understand how many people on this site would be willing to let something like this never exist just because it either doesn't get enough attention from most players or the somehow even worse explanation; they belive there's no value in older games.

When you decide to watch movies, read books, or listen to music from previous generations, you don't have these issues and afaik, people willing to defend them if there ever were. So why do video games seem to be the only form of media that consistently does?
Do you really actually think that the majority of people think there's no value in older games? Have you seen retro games in the last 5 years? They are more popular than ever. The reason this keeps happening to video games is because for almost every generation until recently, architectures changed so made it more difficult to keep backwards compatibility without a significant cost. Now that Arcutectures are the same, The PS5 should have full backwards compatible with the PS4 and the next xbox after scorpio should have full backwards compatible with the xbox one.

I still hope we will get at the very least PS1 backwards compatiblity on PS4 sooner than later but who knows.

Fox Mulder

This is the one.

it's just more console wars crap. The ps4 doesnt do it, so it must be a shit feature.

I got 100 BC 360 games on my profile, many were completely free because I already bought them years ago. It's great, even if I don't immediately jump to play them right now. I enjoyed BC on the ps2, wii, and 360 too, as I'm always finding old gems or just want to play old stuff in a better way.

Sephimoth

Hoping for something today...

(If not I'm hoping they've been secretly working on getting OG Xbox back compat ready for an E3 announcement)

it's just more console wars crap. The ps4 doesnt do it, so it must be a shit feature.

I got 100 BC 360 games on my profile, many were completely free because I already bought them years ago. It's great, even if I don't immediately jump to play them right now. I enjoyed BC on the ps2, wii, and 360 too, as I'm always finding old gems or just want to play old stuff in a better way.

Technically they weren't "free" as you previously purchased them. You just weren't required to repurchase them to play them on the Xbox.

sorry for the pedantry

DOWN

Banned
This is online users only and based on 930k players not 25+ mil One owners. They mention this in the article too.
And? What reason is there to believe that this is still an inaccurate sample? It's a huge player sample. You need to have online connectivity to even get BC games working so if anything the sample could skew high for how much game time goes to BC games. This isn't the first analysis that pointed out the rarity of BC usage by players.

This is the one.
People aren't saying they are against it existing. They are against the weight given to it regarding discussion of the value of new consoles because it is a narrowly touched feature. All data and surveys suggest it is a widely requested but rarely used feature - not just regarding Xbox One.

amdb00mer

I'm calling another dry week. Hoping for them to make some E3 announcements. I know, I know, but you can't go into E3 with 2 full weeks without releases.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
especially considering the recent fervor around BC it would've been nice to get something today. guess E3 über alles. probably won't get anything Thursday either.

Zeta Oni

People aren't saying they are against it existing. They are against the weight given to it regarding discussion of the value of new consoles because it is a narrowly touched feature. All data and surveys suggest it is a widely requested but rarely used feature - not just regarding Xbox One.

Actually people are saying exactly that.

Admittedly, those people saying that are the minority.

That said, I don't agree with the stance offered here either. It's importance comes from outside of its time spent played, and it's bewildering to see so many on a gaming forum of all places not understand that. Taking a business perspective is fine and all, but using it to downplay a feature that is very pro-consumer and important to the preservation of video game history is when I have to question the intentions behind the words. And there's a lot of that happening in the various BC threads currently.

Keinning

I find it funny that no one pointed out how ArsTechnica pulled out most of their gamertags from a defunct website since before BC was even a thing (meaning tons of inactive accounts, percentage of played time heavily skewered towards one games and only people who stuck for long AND renewed their gold memberships being accounted in the sample size) but hey, what do i know - no one wants BC after all and this thread and all of us are just an illusion

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Actually people are saying exactly that.

Admittedly, those people saying that are the minority.

That said, I don't agree with the stance offered here either. It's importance comes from outside of its time spent played, and it's bewildering to see so many on a gaming forum of all places not understand that. Taking a business perspective is fine and all, but using it to downplay a feature that is very pro-consumer and important to the preservation of video game history is when I have to question the intentions behind the words. And there's a lot of that happening in the various BC threads currently.

This x100.

I'll repeat what I said in the other thread.

I personally believe BC is a more hardcore focused feature. Casual players are going g to pick up a new Console to play the new games. They aren't the ones that care about libraries and gamerscore etc. So taking such a broad sample does nothing.

That's like saying we tracked 1 million people on Xbox. It showed less than 1 percent are using the Elite Controller. Therefore nobody wants the elite controller.

BC will be used Mainly by the hardcore audience and the casual crowd will dabble in it every now and then.

It's how long the hardcore audience is using BC that matters.

Top Bottom