• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

Novocaine

I could see them doing a bonus for Crackdown 3.

But I don't know who would play the game when he also got CD3 ;-)

Preorder Crackdown 3 now and receive Crackdown 1 and 2 free!

Or at least that would be nice so I could get to try the first game before the new one releases

pacman85

Preorder Crackdown 3 now and receive Crackdown 1 and 2 free!

Or at least that would be nice so I could get to try the first game before the new one releases
Yeah they really need to do it that way. Once you get Crackdown 3 who is going to want to go back and play the first 2? But, give them out well in advance of 3 and you get people all aboard the hype train to play the third after diving back into the first 2 for the first time in years.

peppers

Fuck preorders. Giving Crackdown 1 for free for everyone during E3 week seems an even better move. With their recent track record (Lost Odyssey being the most notable example) I wouldn't be surprised.

Justinh

It's one of my favourite games from last gen but I got the impression some Cell fans didn't like it much

I liked it a lot too, although I guess I'm not too much of a Splinter Cell fan either. I only really played Chaos Theory before. I wish they stuck with the control scheme they used in Conviction for Blacklist.

Oh...

Editor's Note: We incorrectly listed a few games as supporting Backward Compatibility on Xbox One. This was in error. We've updated the story below and apologize for the confusion.

Hopefully it actually does pop up tomorrow.

edit: Yeah, just tried the disc for Conviction. "this game isn't playable here." Hopefully tomorrow.

B4D1E

What a great day. Finally a Splinter Cell game playable on Xbox One. I sensed something yesterday when those 3 titles were added to the sale.

I'm sure Blacklist will come after E3 when a new Splinter Cell game is announced!

Edit: I cheered too soon, I hope it will be for tomorrow...

zoodoo

What a great day. Finally a Splinter Cell game playable on Xbox One. I sensed something yesterday when those 3 titles were added to the sale.

I'm sure Blacklist will come after E3 when a new Splinter Cell game is announced!

Edit: I cheered too soon, I hope it will be for tomorrow...

What sale?

etta

my hard graphic balls
I think it's more likely that Xbox Wire slipped and revealed it early than making the mistake of saying some titles that went on sale are back compat. Every week there are sales on Xbox 360 games, have they mistakenly said those on sale are back compat?

extra spicy

Neo Member
I think it's more likely that Xbox Wire slipped and revealed it early than making the mistake of saying some titles that went on sale are back compat. Every week there are sales on Xbox 360 games, have they mistakenly said those on sale are back compat?

Yes, several titles have been listed in error prematurely after which they eventually became backwards compatible including Oblivion & CoD: Black Ops 2 (MW3 was also listed mistakenly at the same time as Oblivion...).

These Splinter Cell titles will likely become BC especially considering Ubisoft is relatively supportive of the program.

I installed Assassin's Creed III prior to it being available on GWG with my disc and it now says I still need the disc despite claiming the free offer.

I noticed that there is another Assassins Creed III in my ready to install list creating two entries for the game. One is the disc version the other is the digital version.

Is this the first game on Xbox One where another download is required to use the digital copy after installing from the disc? They should be the same since the disc just downloads the digital version.

eZcd5wO.jpg

WaveRider

Neo Member
I installed Assassin's Creed III prior to it being available on GWG with my disc and it now says I still need the disc despite claiming the free offer.

I noticed that there is another Assassins Creed III in my ready to install list creating two entries for the game. One is the disc version the other is the digital version.

Is this the first game on Xbox One where another download is required to use the digital copy after installing from the disc? They should be the same since the disc just downloads the digital version.

I had the same issue with Forza Horizon. The disc version is smaller in size than the downloaded one for some reason.

Could be, but they were just plain wrong before too, saying that Snakepass would be a play anywhere title when it wasn't.

So it could go either way;

Can they accidentally make every game compatible? or would they get into trouble?

They should totally make a mistake.

I think they can, but they would get in trouble, IIRC despite needing Publisher approval for legal reasons it's Ms that publishes the game at BC entirely.

im_dany

My Bioshock copy installed from disc is different from the digital one that's up on Game Pass.

im_dany

Is there any reason at all to play the Xbox One version of Stick of Truth over the 360 one via BC? they are both 1080p i think

Different achievements list if you've already played the original, and the lack of option for the X1 version to import 360 saves if you already owned it.

robotrock

Banned
The Xbox One version runs at 60fps. The 360 version runs at 30fps.

Does this actually look or feel any different than the 360 version though? I've got the PC version and it's locked to 30, because I assume that was the look they were going for. Do the animations become more fluid at 60?

Does this actually look or feel any different than the 360 version though? I've got the PC version and it's locked to 30, because I assume that was the look they were going for. Do the animations become more fluid at 60?

Imho it was some cartoon people occasionally jigging a sword or making a fart cloud...I'm not sure it will matter (graphically)?

It's a great game and a lot of fun, but I personally wouldn't worry, or pay for, the 60 FPS.

That said I can't notice the difference anyway and I've spent 3 years playing Destiny at 30 so my opinion is probably pointless :)

amdb00mer

I think they can, but they would get in trouble, IIRC despite needing Publisher approval for legal reasons it's Ms that publishes the game at BC entirely.

You are correct. However, I think MS could at some point bypass most of the publishers and make all games BC, just disable screenshots and streaming for the non-approved titles and make the non-approved ones require the actual disc, no digital download version. However, MS will never do this as it would hurt their relationships with publishers and developers.

sangreal

Can they accidentally make every game compatible? or would they get into trouble?

They should totally make a mistake.

they more or less did that in the past. then people started tracking down the download links by following ms employee profiles etc. so they turned it into a whitelist after people found RDR

EffEmmGee

I'd like to see Wheelman go BC, though I'm guessing it has licensing issues, due to all the DLC being pulled from the Store, and even my purchase history.

Top Bottom