• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

Izuna

Banned
f9ISCPy.gif

bede-x

Just noticed they already made it possible to sort your library between XO and 360/original Xbox games:

It's gonna be so good playing Panzer Dragoon Orta and Ninja Gaiden (they must be coming, right?) on the One X.

bede-x

Wouldn't hold my breath if i were you

Already gave up on anything Ninja Gaiden. It's just not happening.

True, they don't seem to be supporting 360 BC that much. Can't remember a Koei Tecmo 360BC title off the top of my head. Are there any?

That said I'm still not ready to give up hope. Surely, they can't be that shortsighted?

True, they don't seem to be supporting 360 BC that much. Can't remember a Koei Tecmo 360BC title of the top of my head. Are there any?

That said I'm still not ready to give up hope. Surely, they can't be that shortsighted?

I've been sending weekly emails to the company, and I haven't gotten a single response. Honestly, they might be, but I'm not giving up till I get NG and Dead or Alive 4/Xtreme 1

True, they don't seem to be supporting 360 BC that much. Can't remember a Koei Tecmo 360BC title off the top of my head. Are there any

I don't think they don't want BC, they actually are one of the most supportive Japanese publishers on the Xbox One natively. All of their Warriors games and spin offs make it the console and Dead or Alive 5 as well. And they do have one game on there. Fret Nice... so, my guess is they just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

bede-x

And they do have one game on there. Fret Nice... so, my guess is they just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

I had forgotten Fret Nice :)

Well, at least there's a little tangible proof of them supporting the program, so I'm gonna pin my hope on that. Would be such a boon to have NG 1+2 on a modern system.

Zeta Oni

I don't think they don't want BC, they actually are one of the most supportive Japanese publishers on the Xbox One natively. All of their Warriors games and spin offs make it the console and Dead or Alive 5 as well. And they do have one game on there. Fret Nice... so, my guess is they just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

That doesn't mean they will be releasing the games we want to see though.

Look at Capcom and Square Enix for another example.

Pretty much any game that has a chance of being ported to current gen wont be released by Capcom and even then some of their stuff is still absent (Puzzle Fighter, 3S: Online), and all of Square Enix's Japanese output from last gen is oddly absent compared to their western titles (Kane & Lynch and Dues Ex, but no FFXIII Trilogy? No Last Remnant? Etc.)

Not to say they aren't coming, but some of the Japanese support for Xbox One BC has just been odd, to say the least.

That doesn't mean they will be releasing the games we want to see though.

Look at Capcom and Square Enix for another example.

Pretty much any game that has a chance of being ported to current gen wont be released by Capcom and even then some of their stuff is still absent (Puzzle Fighter, 3S: Online), and all of Square Enix's Japanese output from last gen is oddly absent compared to their western titles (Kane & Lynch and Dues Ex, but no FFXIII Trilogy? No Last Remnant? Etc.)

Not to say they aren't coming, but some of the Japanese support for Xbox One BC has just been odd, to say the least.
Capcom not giving an OK for the remasters games is shitty but expected. Honestly, I'd sort of guess the Japanese games over from Square Enix aren't being held back but probably due to all the proprietary engines their using honestly. But yeah other than Crystal Defenders we haven't seen much. It's also worth noting almost all the JRPG stuff from the 360 is missing. No Eternal Sonata, no Tales of Vesperia or Culdcept Saga or Magna Carta 2 - all Namco games but they seem to have no problem supporting the program. So my guess is it's just a balance of whatever is in demand and whatever is doable as well. Things like Bullet Soul are pretty simple, despite next to no one caring. But all those big RPGs, which all have custom engines, probably take time to get working sufficiently well.

Dehnus

Just noticed they already made it possible to sort your library between XO and 360/original Xbox games:

It's gonna be so good playing Panzer Dragoon Orta and Ninja Gaiden (they must be coming, right?) on the One X.

Kung Fu Chaos, Midtown Madness 3, Conker Live and Reloaded, Crimson Skies and Fusion Frenzy based COUCH MULTIPLAYER HERE I COME! :D.

Sigh, if only MS saw the value of Couch MP or COUCH vs Online over "Neckbeard Basement dweller mode" only. I have a Boyfriend, Sister, Friends and other people to play with rather than random strangers that want to insult my mother and my sexuality over a microphone.

Call me strange.... Until then, it's Switch all the time.. everytime! I might get a cheap Xbox One S just for the OG BC though. If they support splitscreen live modes like the original does. OOH PGR 2 vs Online was fantastic :).

Capcom not giving an OK for the remasters games is shitty but expected. Honestly, I'd sort of guess the Japanese games over from Square Enix aren't being held back but probably due to all the proprietary engines their using honestly. But yeah other than Crystal Defenders we haven't seen much. It's also worth noting almost all the JRPG stuff from the 360 is missing. No Eternal Sonata, no Tales of Vesperia or Culdcept Saga or Magna Carta 2 - all Namco games But all those big RPGs, which all have custom engines, probably take time to get working sufficiently well.

Could also be they need to playthrough in each language also bumping up the cert time. Euro versions of the games have 6-8? Languages. Let's not forget that msft did give us Blue Dragon and Lost Odessy and made versions for the store also giving away Lost Odessy for free. They know we want RPGs and they have delivered more than just the ones in COD.

Zeta Oni

Capcom not giving an OK for the remasters games is shitty but expected. Honestly, I'd sort of guess the Japanese games over from Square Enix aren't being held back but probably due to all the proprietary engines their using honestly. But yeah other than Crystal Defenders we haven't seen much. It's also worth noting almost all the JRPG stuff from the 360 is missing. No Eternal Sonata, no Tales of Vesperia or Culdcept Saga or Magna Carta 2 - all Namco games but they seem to have no problem supporting the program. So my guess is it's just a balance of whatever is in demand and whatever is doable as well. Things like Bullet Soul are pretty simple, despite next to no one caring. But all those big RPGs, which all have custom engines, probably take time to get working sufficiently well.

Hope your right.

bede-x

Kung Fu Chaos, Midtown Madness 3, Conker Live and Reloaded, Crimson Skies and Fusion Frenzy based COUCH MULTIPLAYER HERE I COME! :D.

Sigh, if only MS saw the value of Couch MP or COUCH vs Online over "Neckbeard Basement dweller mode" only.

Some of their biggest franchises like Halo (except 5), Minecraft, Gears and Forza Motorsport have couch MP, though not always couch vs. online. I think they're doing pretty well in that area and Halo 6 is already confirmed to be getting split screen as well.

Call me strange.... Until then, it's Switch all the time.. everytime! I might get a cheap Xbox One S just for the OG BC though. If they support splitscreen live modes like the original does. OOH PGR 2 vs Online was fantastic :).

Switch has far fewer games supporting couch MP than Xbox One. It's not even close.

As for original Xbox BC, it will support split screen since it's the same games, but I don't think they'll have any online modes.

Dehnus

Some of their biggest franchises like Halo (except 5), Minecraft, Gears and Forza Motorsport have couch MP, though not always couch vs. online. I think they're doing pretty well in that area and Halo 6 is already confirmed to be getting split screen as well.

Switch has far fewer games supporting couch MP than Xbox One. It's not even close.

As for original Xbox BC, it will support split screen since it's the same games, but I don't think they'll have any online modes.

Nintendo has a far ebtter track record in keeping couch vs online and just couch gameplay. MS is seriously lacking in splitscreen gaming and you know it. You just know that Nintendo, as always will bring the good when it comes to couch MP, Switch is only out a few months and we already have: Arms, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, 1 2 Switch and Splatoon is releasing soon. The entire console is designed for couch MP, with the way the joycons work!

And before that with the Wii U: Almost every Nintendo game had an option that you could play with 2 or more people. With some exceptions like Captain Toad Treasure tracker.

Face it, MS her game is WEAK in the splitscreen department, and not just MS, SONY isn't much better and EA (outside of their sports games) has also dropped the ball here (Almost none of their racing games support splitscreens). You named three titles but forget that the Xbox One is out 4 years already!

Let's see who has more first and second party couch MP once the Switch has been out 4 years. I'm pretty sure Nintendo will own MS and then some. For Goodness sake, even Crackdown is lacking splitscreen, and that game could easily have added it from the looks of the graphics.

Don't get me wrong. I would have loved it if MS had offered me more. They don't and frankly, I cannot justify a purchase.

bede-x

MS is seriously lacking in splitscreen gaming and you know it. You just know that Nintendo, as always will bring the good when it comes to couch MP, Switch is only out a few months and we already have: Arms, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, 1 2 Switch and Splatoon is releasing soon. The entire console is designed for couch MP, with the way the joycons work!

No, I really don't "know it". Depending on how much third party support both companies end up getting, we'll see in the end which system ends up with the most local multi player support, but judging from their last systems, 360 and Wii U, in pure numbers Microsoft's console had more games available with local MP. Maybe a case could be made if you count Wii BC games, but then that's basically counting two systems.

Face it, MS her game is WEAK in the splitscreen department, and not just MS, SONY isn't much better and EA (outside of their sports games) has also dropped the ball here (Almost none of their racing games support splitscreens). You named three titles but forget that the Xbox One is out 4 years already!

We were talking couch MP in the post I quoted, not split screen specifically, but even if we limit it to that XO is still ahead of Switch by quite a wide margin. I mentioned four games, three of which are series with multiple installments, most of which have couch MP. I don't think Microsoft is particularly weak in that area.

Let's see who has more first and second party couch MP once the Switch has been out 4 years. I'm pretty sure Nintendo will own MS and then some.

Sure, we'll see. Nintendo usually have limited third party support and they have no backwards compatibility, but I suppose if they sell well, they could end up with more couch MP than XO. Wii U didn't and it's certainly not a given at this point.

For Goodness sake, even Crackdown is lacking splitscreen, and that game could easily have added it from the looks of the graphics.

Very few open world 3D games add split screen multi player, due to how difficult it can be streaming and keeping seperate parts of the world in memory. One of the few that does is Minecraft, incidentally a Microsoft title :)

Don't get me wrong. I would have loved it if MS had offered me more. They don't and frankly, I cannot justify a purchase.

You should of course buy what you want, but claiming it's Switch "all the time, every time" due to all the couch multiplayer it offers in comparison to One, seems odd considering XO has far more games with couch MP than Switch. As I said, it's not even close. Maybe that will change over time. Maybe.

Izuna

Banned
What is that kick your doing?

Normally I go for crouching HP as my anti-air normal but that looks way better. Sorta looks like a close standing HK, which I never knew could be used like that if so.

Yeah, it makes fighting Chun and Blanka easier. cl.st.HK twice.

b.MP works in most situations and you can Okizeme after b.MP xx Dash, cl.st.HK

Wanna play tonight?

Zeta Oni

Yeah, it makes fighting Chun and Blanka easier. cl.st.HK twice.

b.MP works in most situations and you can Okizeme after b.MP xx Dash, cl.st.HK

Wanna play tonight?

Yeah ill be home later from work, I had my profile set to appear offline last time in case you tried inviting me so that wont be an issue this time.

I am flabbergasted how dead Ultra SF4 is on Xbox...

I figured it will have a nice community seeing as many didn't like SFV and Ultra SF4 was the definite edition of 4..

The game is beyond dead online! :-(

CRAIG667

I figured it will have a nice community seeing as many didn't like SFV and Ultra SF4 was the definite edition of 4..

I've played over 20 matches online over the last couple of days and not had to wait more than 60 seconds to find one either.

Where are you?

UK here.

FZW

So its official, we passed the 400 mark. SFAE is the 401st BC game available for the Xbox One. A little over 2 years since the launch of BC in the preview program, we are now at 401 games.

Its incredible when you think about it, 200 games a year. At this rate by the end of next year we will be half way through the 360 library.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah ill be home later from work, I had my profile set to appear offline last time in case you tried inviting me so that wont be an issue this time.

I just sent a friend's request at that time. Streamed for an hour then went to work haha.

I'm gunna try finish from errands but I'll see if you're on when I can :D

It isn't dead. I played constantly for hours lol

Definitely isn't dead from my experience. Was playing through Arcade mode and had to turn off my availability, due to all the challenges I was getting.

vsMIC

really nice to play usf4 again on my main console! i guess now, sf3 online edition will follow soon...

not many games left i need to have, rez and ninja gaiden 2.

So, I was listening to Ryan's interview to Warren Spector and now I want to play Epic Mickey (alongside Human Revolution and Mankind Divided). How likely is Epic Mickey to be added to BC?

Wasn't the game originally published by Disney? I'm pretty sure they would still own the rights; Epic Mickey 2 is still being sold on digital platforms.
so, there is a chance for EM2 to be added to BC?

I've learned to expect nothing from Capcom. They will sell you remasters of DMC collection and Asuras Wrath, and you will like it because you bought them after a price error in the store.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I had kind of just assumed that Mortal Kombat (IX?) was BC, and was surprised when I put it in the one last night to play some story mode.

What the hell? Get on that WB!

Top Bottom