• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

muzzymate

CTABCSUWEAA797r.jpg

In EvB, I trust.

Kadin

Anyone experiencing issues with Borderlands? Every time I load into a game, my inverted controls are reset and I keep getting the 'you have X dlc downloaded' message which is basically 4 different popups.

The game is saving properly but the options resetting along with the popups continue to happen. Any ideas? I'm hoping it's just a Preview glitch...

kevin1025

Banned
Maybe hopeful thinking, but now that Games with Gold games are going to be BC moving forward, we might get some big releases now, maybe even some of those in the voting list that rank high!

Chitown B

Maybe hopeful thinking, but now that Games with Gold games are going to be BC moving forward, we might get some big releases now, maybe even some of those in the voting list that rank high!

I think the opposite. No incentive for companies to do that. Make their game BC so people will buy it on X1. The month's GWG titles suck in comparison to most other months, and I assume that will keep trending.

Chris1

I had noticed that Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 appeared recently as GoD, but I thought Activision wasn't on board ?
I'd be tempted to double dip on the first one and try the second, even if they're a bit expensive for older games (40€ each !)

They just weren't on the list of publishers at Gamescom but that doesn't mean that they said no. Phil said talks were positive with Activision.

Posted it in the other topic but I've found an MS employee I'm 99% sure is testing BC, here's the games he's played recently:

Assassins Creed 2
CoD 4
Contra
Dirt 3
Fable 3
Frogger
Mass Effect
Mirrors Edge
Red Dead Redemption
Roboblitz
Super Meat Boy
Toy Soldiers Cold War
Undertow

I'm pretty sure we'll see the games in the above list that aren't BC already part of the launch list

TheKeyPit

Banned
Do we have any news on the technical side of backwards compatibility? I'm really interested, because I'm doing stuff with virtualization at my university right now.

Gears of War 2 - Included with Gears Ultimate Edition before December 31st Nov
Gears of War 3 - Included with Gears Ultimate Edition before December 31st Nov
Gears of War Judgment - Included with Gears Ultimate Edition before December 31st Nov

Gears of War Xbox 360 version was also announced for BC as well.

Justinh

I imagine he didn't put it in the "coming soon" section with those games since it is already available for preview members and in the "new releases" section.

Oooh! Streets of Rage is up? Sweet! Hopefully after I'm done updating. Glad Bayonetta was announced. I just bought it off the marketplace yesterday. I already have it on Wii U, but I prefer the xbox controller.

I found Cabin Defenders and Wildfire last year, they are both student games from a MS programming summer camp thing.

Here they are along side a few other bits I've found
CTABCSUWEAA797r.jpg

SoTN? Niiice. I remember thinking I wish I could play it o 360 with a better d-pad and now I can xD

gossi

Do we have any news on the technical side of backwards compatibility? I'm really interested, because I'm doing stuff with virtualization at my university right now.

The haven't announced anything. But XB1 uses HyperV containers, if you're interested.

im_dany

Posted it in the other topic but I've found an MS employee I'm 99% sure is testing BC, here's the games he's played recently:

Assassins Creed 2
CoD 4
Contra
Dirt 3
Fable 3
Frogger
Mass Effect
Mirrors Edge
Red Dead Redemption
Roboblitz
Super Meat Boy
Toy Soldiers Cold War
Undertow

I'm pretty sure we'll see the games in the above list that aren't BC already part of the launch list

Wow I just checked his profile and you're right, I didn't notice him playing COD4 recently.

My wish list:
COD4 & BadCo2 for MP
COD WaW & BO1 & 2 for Zombies coop
MGS HD
Tales of Vesperia
SC Conviction
Mass Effect trilogy
Sonic Racing Transformed
Enslaved
RE4
Silent Hill HD
L4D2
Forza Horizon
RDR
Max Payne 3

c0de

Not really that much, besides that it is an emulator and not virtualization.
Recap of the Xbone design:
It runs 3 different OS at the same time.
1. "application os" this is where the usual apps run on. limited ressources because of
2. "game os" this is the OS where the game runs in. It gets the majority of system ressources and this is managed by
3. the hyper-v part of the OS. Basically this is the one which manages the ressources for both other OS types and is responsible for the scheduling between them.

Xbox 360 BC takes place in "game os". To the Xbone, a 360 game is an Xbone game application that contains an emulator running on x86-64 and the code that runs in there is emulating a ppc and more, so basically an emulator. There is no virtualization involved in emulating the 360 as it is a totally different machine.

The main takeaway for me is that my backlog has come back to haunt me,

Never finished Lost Odyssey or Blue dragon.
Started tales of vesparia and struggled with intro.
final fantasy 13-2 and LR
Fallout 3 and NV
Theres a theme here...

Also the cool action stuff too. Would like to play vanquish.

No time to play as much any more though..

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
They just weren't on the list of publishers at Gamescom but that doesn't mean that they said no. Phil said talks were positive with Activision.

CoD 4

Oh please be true. Saw CoD4 in CEX the other week and was going to buy it but remembered Activision didn't seem to be on board with BC. Might just go and buy it on the cheap if this is true.

Assassins Creed 2
CoD 4
Contra
Dirt 3
Fable 3
Frogger
Mass Effect
Mirrors Edge
Red Dead Redemption
Roboblitz
Super Meat Boy
Toy Soldiers Cold War
Undertow

Why no Dead Rising :(

I imagine he didn't put it in the "coming soon" section with those games since it is already available for preview members and in the "new releases" section.

Oooh! Streets of Rage is up? Sweet! Hopefully after I'm done updating. Glad Bayonetta was announced. I just bought it off the marketplace yesterday. I already have it on Wii U, but I prefer the xbox controller.

Yep, it's in new releases since preview members already have access :)

And sorry Justin it was up briefly but taken down:..I need to edit that

Hasnt CoD4 gotten to the point of unplayable with hackers over the years. Like people would kill you and de-rank you back to 1 or something?

papo

Just a quick question. Back in the day I bought quite a few of the XBLA games on the 360. Games like Shadow Complex. Will those come into play and will I have access to them once they do? I haven't had my Xbox360 in years, but it should still be the same account.

gossi

Just a quick question. Back in the day I bought quite a few of the XBLA games on the 360. Games like Shadow Complex. Will those come into play and will I have access to them once they do? I haven't had my Xbox360 in years, but it should still be the same account.

Yes. Shadow Complex is supported, I have it installed on XB1. It just appears under Ready to Install.

Waaghals

You will have immediate access to all your digital games, provided they are BC. Shadow Complex is currently on the list. I have played it on my X1.

Yep as long as you use the same account that purchased Shadow Complex you will be fine. You just won't have your saves if you never saved them to the cloud

With any game, the publisher has to give the OK for a game to be BC. So it's not all on Microsoft.

You should be able to copy/move them from USB to cloud and vice versa (except for occasional games that don't support it), provided you have access to a 360 of course.

Everything I've found says you need Gold too... is that no longer the case?

hmmm so is it already playable or at least I can find it through my xbox one marketplace?

Right now, only if you're in the new UI preview/beta. Should be a part of the first wave of BC titles for everyone starting on the 12th when the new UI and BC feature goes wide.

Top Bottom