• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatible lOT2l: Who would want to play these games?

Vormund

Our good friend Jasiatha seems to have fixed it. Mostly.

While it doesn't appear in the store as yet in Australia, you can access the Hub via your achievements.

From there you can access it via the store, install it and even when you uninstall it, it appears in your Ready To Install list finally.

Yeah he fixed it. =)

Anyway, might give BF:BC another play through too.

Chitown B

Below are the ones id love from my purchase history

After Burner Climax
Bangai-O HD
Ninja Gaiden Black
OutRun Online Arcade
Puzzle Fighter HD
Renegade Ops
RESIDENT EVIL CODE: Veronica X
Rez HD
Rock Band Blitz
SCOTT PILGRIM THE GAME
Serious Sam HD: TFE
SINE MORA
SWOS
Turtles In Time RS

bolded will never happen due to being delisted.

Gestault

Dang, I wish I had BC1 digitally. $15 isn't bad for the normal price, but it would just be a replay for me...

Still, that's a darned good week.

JoeLT

Wish these 360 games weren't so expensive digitally, I cant justify $20AUD for Bad Company but I really want to jump in. Going all-digital can suck

Wow New Vegas is amazing!!
That one

If you have a pc that you play on I'd probably suggest getting New Vegas on that, doom on console, but otherwise New Vegas all the way.
Hmm...I had a PC but it's busted and I don't know how long it will be until it's fixed. I think it can play New Vegas.

I will buy both eventually but I play primarily on consoles. But New Vegas has mods on PC. What to do...

soundtest

Banned
Delisted games have been made BC before.

Nope. Games have been made BC and then shortly been delisted, like the mickey game and forza horizon 1. AFAIK, no delisted game has been made BC after being delisted.

your only hope is that the licensing issues are resolved and then the game is made BC (not likely in most of those cases) or that ps3/360 emulation gets to a place where you can play them on PC.

Backlogger

Wish these 360 games weren't so expensive digitally, I cant justify $20AUD for Bad Company but I really want to jump in. Going all-digital can suck
You just have to wait for sales which takes patience. I haven't purchased any digital titles at full price and I have over 100 at this point

muzzymate

Nope. Games have been made BC and then shortly been delisted, like the mickey game and forza horizon 1. AFAIK, no delisted game has been made BC after being delisted.

your only hope is that the licensing issues are resolved and then the game is made BC (not likely in most of those cases) or that ps3/360 emulation gets to a place where you can play them on PC.

Joust is one that was delisted in February of 2010 but then returned in August 2016, when it became backwards compatible.

Saw this on Reddit. On the Gamestop mobile app when you search for bc<xbox> in the trade in area it brings up a list of original Xbox games that might potentially be backward compatible. Just tested it myself and the following titles showed up. Only works on the mobile app and not the website.
Bloodrayne
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Burnout 3: Takedown
Call of Duty 3
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
Counter Strike
Darkwatch
Doom 3
Fable
Fuzion Frenzy
Grand Theft Auto III
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Half-Life 2
Halo
Halo 2
Jade Empire
Jet Set Radio Future
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Mortal Kombat Deception
Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black
Playboy: The Mansion
Sims 2
Sonic Heroes
Soul Calibur II
Spyro: A Hero's Tail
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
The Punisher

Darkwatch
Fable
Fuzion Frenzy
Grand Theft Auto III
Halo
Halo 2
Jade Empire
Jet Set Radio Future
Mortal Kombat Deception
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black
Sonic Heroes
The Punisher
Great list

Will definitely redip into a bunch of those given the opportunity.

Hope they get a decent number of titles out. Having three generations of games on one box will be awesome.

EmiPrime

Saw this on Reddit. On the Gamestop mobile app when you search for bc<xbox> in the trade in area it brings up a list of original Xbox games that might potentially be backward compatible. Just tested it myself and the following titles showed up. Only works on the mobile app and not the website.
Bloodrayne
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Call of Duty 3
Counter Strike
Darkwatch
Doom 3
Fable
Fuzion Frenzy
Grand Theft Auto III
Half-Life 2
Halo
Halo 2
Jade Empire
Jet Set Radio Future
Mortal Kombat Deception
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black
Sims 2
Sonic Heroes
Soul Calibur II
The Punisher

Why isn't Crimson Skies on there? I wouldn't read too much into this.

Jawmuncher

Those are just the Xbox titles BC on Xbox 360
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/legacy-devices/original-console/play-original-games

Regardless as of right now we have only two confirmed titles for the OG Xbox BC

Crimson Skies
Fuzion Frenzy

----

I would say we probably won't see more than like 5-10 when they launch it later this year.
Especially when you consider they only had Crimson Skies to announce it and FF was a throw away announcement.
I do think they'll have at least a few of the big ones people want at launch though. So Mech Assualt, Ninja Gaiden, and something else.

modsbox

Warning, a bit of a rant. It's so completely dumb that Crackdown 1 and 2 aren't on BC.

Why have BC when beloved exclusive 360 games like Crackdown 1 don't come to it? I don't get it.

I was going to buy an X1X for Crackdown 3 this fall but now that that's delayed, and 1 & 2 still aren't on BC... forget it. I guess I'm a rare person, but I'm not buying another Xbox for Gears or Halo. And Forza? I can play GT instead.

Maybe their next console will be ok?

I sold my Sunset Overdrive white LE Xbone over a year ago and still haven't found myself bummed about a game I couldn't play. That's a bit frightening don't you think?

We're almost 4 years in and in my mind the exclusives worth buying an Xbox for consist of Ori and Sunset Overdrive. Yikes.

I think I'll buy an X1S for super cheap when all the enthusiasts sell theirs to get an X, so I can play Cuphead. Honestly the only thing I like about Xbox right now is their limited ability to keep Sony and their ridiculous policies in check. That's sad.

Synth

Crackdown likely has music licensing issues.

That aside, pretty much everything else in your post has no place in this thread tbh... it's basically another thinly veiled "Xbox has noe gamez" post, using the lack of a single IP being BC as a jump-off.

EmiPrime

Warning, a bit of a rant. It's so completely dumb that Crackdown 1 and 2 aren't on BC.

Why have BC when beloved exclusive 360 games like Crackdown 1 don't come to it? I don't get it.

I was going to buy an X1X for Crackdown 3 this fall but now that that's delayed, and 1 & 2 still aren't on BC... forget it. I guess I'm a rare person, but I'm not buying another Xbox for Gears or Halo. And Forza? I can play GT instead.

I sold my Sunset Overdrive white LE Xbone over a year ago and still haven't found myself bummed about a game I couldn't play. That's a bit frightening don't you think?

We're almost 4 years in and in my mind the exclusives worth buying an Xbox for consist of Ori and Sunset Overdrive. Yikes.

I think I'll buy an X1S for super cheap when all the enthusiasts sell theirs to get an X, so I can play Cuphead. Honestly the only thing I like about Xbox right now is their limited ability to keep Sony and their ridiculous policies in check. That's sad.

Here's the possible reason.

Jawmuncher

Bloodrayne
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Call of Duty 3
Counter Strike
Darkwatch
Doom 3
Fable
Fuzion Frenzy
Grand Theft Auto III
Half-Life 2
Halo
Halo 2
Jade Empire
Jet Set Radio Future
Mortal Kombat Deception
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black
Sims 2
Sonic Heroes
Soul Calibur II
The Punisher

Except that list has Panzer Dragoon Orta, so this other one had better not be accurate.

OG Fable before Fable Anniversary would have me howling though, lol.

Going by that list these are the only titles that seem to be off

Bloodrayne (There is only Bloodrayne 2 on the list)

So maybe there's something there. But I'd honestly lean more on these just being mistakes. Like just as an example the Developers for that playboy game don't even exist anymore. So that game wouldn't become Backwards Compatible unless they did the whole OS sort of thing.

The weirdest thing about that is how they're still up as digital downloads on the 360 though. Just not as BC.
It probably is the music though. More than likely some sort of odd licensing where if they made them backwards compatible they'd have to pay for the licensing all over again or something.
Though that's still kinda odd when they managed to make Forza Horizon BC before it's contract expired.

EmiPrime

The weirdest thing about that is how they're still up as digital downloads on the 360 though. Just not as BC.
It probably is the music though. More than likely some sort of odd licensing where if they made them backwards compatible they'd have to pay for the licensing all over again or something.
Though that's still kinda odd when they managed to make Forza Horizon BC before it's contract expired.

I don't fully understand it either. Maybe the earlier games from last gen involved licensing contracts that weren't as forward thinking as games from later on.

modsbox

Thank you for this. At least some sort of rationale for it. To not make Crackdown 1 & 2 available on BC and also not do a remaster/remake... it just didn't make sense to me.

It's sad what happened with this franchise. The first was so promising and many people are looking forward to a good sequel, but they just can't seem to get it done. X1X launch system-seller would have been a great platform, but after the E3 videos I can see why they delayed it.

EBE

With every BC game, people are screaming for MW2 now. MW2 is the new BO2.
Don't get me wrong there are other games I'd sooner see, like Ninja Gaiden or Fable Anniversary, or Crackdown, but lately I've gotten a real itch for the MW campaigns

poodaddy

Soul Calibur II
This is puzzling to me. For what reason would one want the original Xbox SC 2 when the objectively superior HD online version is already available via BC? Also, Halo 1 and 2? Couldn't you just play them through the Master Chief collection and just switch to the retro graphics? And Fable 1? Wouldn't it be less effort and make more sense to simply make the Anniversary edition available via BC? And both Ninja Gaiden and NG Black? Isn't this kind of a wasted effort as Black is the superior version? And MGS2....same situation, why not just make the HD Collection BC?

As I said, it's just a bit puzzling.

amdb00mer

Really? Do we need all this rhetoric? You start out mentioning crackdown 1 and 2 and then go on a rant about how you don't feel the Xbox One is worth owning and then you mention you can just play GT. Seriously, there are plenty of other threads for flame wars, leave this one and head to one of those.

Synth

This is puzzling to me. For what reason would one want the original Xbox SC 2 when the objectively superior HD online version is already available via BC? Also, Halo 1 and 2? Couldn't you just play them through the Master Chief collection and just switch to the retro graphics? And Fable 1? Wouldn't it be less effort and make more sense to simply make the Anniversary edition available via BC? And both Ninja Gaiden and NG Black? Isn't this kind of a wasted effort as Black is the superior version? And MGS2....same situation, why not just make the HD Collection BC?

As I said, it's just a bit puzzling.

Soul Calibur 2 wouldn't have much use beyond the fact that someone possibly already owns the OG Xbox version, and so wouldn't be forced to buy another version to play it again. This reasoning honestly should be extended to the entire library (so lump MGS2 in here as well)... just because there's a better version existing, doesn't mean someone should be forced to rebuy it. That line of thinking is how PS2 on PS4 situations happen. We've kinda been over this point numerous times regarding 360 games becoming BC when there's already an XB1 version.

Halo CE's retro graphics are actually notably different from the original game's, and not generally in a good way. If someone did want to play Halo CE looking how it used to, I would imagine they'd prefer the OG Xbox version, even at the expense of resolution and framerate.

Fable 1? Dunno. We have no idea how much effort any of this takes. I can imagine that if their OG Xbox emulator is sufficiently evolved, then near any OG Xbox game is probably easier than the average Xbox 360 game, simply due to the performance deltas between each console and the XB1. OG Xbox was also already an x86-based console like the XB1, as opposed to PowerPC based. Still though, Fable Anniversary still not being BC yet (or even being released only on 360 in the first place) doesn't make a lot of sense.

Ninja Gaiden Black is basically a GOTY edition of Ninja Gaiden. If one works the other is likely to work at exactly the same time. There's likely zero effort involved to get one running over the other.

Damon

Shit didn't even realise bad company 1 got backwards compatibility!

Guess I'm gonna buy gold and jump into some multiplayer, not touched my Xbox one since last year.

My favourite console bf mp experience was bc1

DJwest

Any hope for Alpha Protocol and Tales of Vesperia? I'm buying an Xbox One S and the backwards compatibility was one of the biggest reasons lol.

Top Bottom