• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatible lOT2l: Who would want to play these games?

a0592e62af0e27ef2681e9f5a27cef7c1ba0d118_hq.gif

Flagship

Nice! I hope that and the original on the OG xbox later this year both become compatible. I never did finish it, it was so difficult for me at the time, then when I came back later my save file got corrupt :*-(

Splinter cell Blacklist is my most wanted BC game and had been since this was all announced. That game is hugely unappreciated.

Frodo-Hug-Samwise-Elijah-Wood-Sean-Astin.gif

It would do so much for the framerate/screen-tearing too, not to mention bringing back life to the online modes...

Whatever happened to leaks of Xbox backwards compatibility..I enjoyed knowing in advance and having my hopes higher for a game coming soon that wasn't known by everyone...now we are all out of the loop...please leakers...Evo...someone decode when Saints Row comes to Xbox one..thank you

ekim said a little while back (8 months maybe?) that he couldn't get these ahead of time anymore, his contact/access was no more...

re: OG Xbox Backwards compatibility...

There are definitely many marketing strategy meetings based around this and I'd think there's a few options:
- Wait until it's ready, "surprise, you can play Crimson Skies now!"
- Wait until closer to a key date to bump sales (Xbox One X release/Black Friday/Christmas)
- Wait until there's a huge amount of games ready, and launch 'em all at once for maximum impact
- Send to preview Alpha members after the most current dash is ready/stable

But either way, a lack of communication isn't necessarily a bad sign.

Jawmuncher

re: OG Xbox Backwards compatibility...

There are definitely many marketing strategy meetings based around this and I'd think there's a few options:
- Wait until it's ready, "surprise, you can play Crimson Skies now!"
- Wait until closer to a key date to bump sales (Xbox One X release/Black Friday/Christmas)
- Wait until there's a huge amount of games ready, and launch 'em all at once for maximum impact
- Send to preview Alpha members after the most current dash is ready/stable

But either way, a lack of communication isn't necessarily a bad sign.

The last time I got lack of communication it resulted in MVC:I so i'm cautious.

dLMN8R

I don't know either way, but it could also simply be that Xbox Originals requires the new system update releasing later this year that Insiders are testing now.

The talk about OG Xbox BC reminds me, did we ever get a release date for that new version of the Duke controller?

Releasing that at the same time as some OG Xbox games would make sense.

bede-x

MilkyJoe

Phil Spencer confirmed today that OG Backward Compatibility is still coming this year.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/x...tibility-st/1100-6453999/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

That's new thread worthy...

I hope Jedi Academy is on that list. And I'll finally get to play Stubbs the Zombie.

edit

He also teased that there are still details about backwards compatibility will work on Xbox One X that have yet to be revealed: "There's some stuff we're going to talk about in that space in terms of how compatibility's going to work on [Xbox One] X specifically that I think people will find pretty interesting.

hmmm....???

Södy

Still hope for Burnout Revenge and Ninja Gaiden 2. These games, plus Halo 3, were such a great time for me back in the day!

Phil Spencer confirmed today that OG Backward Compatibility is still coming this year.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/x...tibility-st/1100-6453999/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b
Nice.
"We're close, we're really close," Spencer said when asked for the status of Xbox backwards compatibility. "I have a little dashboard I go to and I can see all the games [and] where they are in getting approvals in the pipeline. I know the games that are coming for the original Xbox but I don't think we've announced them all. We have to do this in partnership with partners, but we're still on track. I feel really good. The games look great."

Spencer also remains confident that the feature will be out before the end of the year, as planned. "Oh yeah," he said about his certainty of a 2017 launch. He also teased that there are still details about backwards compatibility will work on Xbox One X that have yet to be revealed: "There's some stuff we're going to talk about in that space in terms of how compatibility's going to work on [Xbox One] X specifically that I think people will find pretty interesting.

Miker

What are the odds that it’ll recognize your original discs? I would be eternally grateful to MS if I could drop in my copy of Panzer Dragoon Orta and play. I know it won’t happen though :(

Ravi_elite

Banned
priorities ....

i see this jump for xbox originals..... yet where the hell is the original Saints Row?

my community is irritated!!

ganaconda

My guess is they may be able to store the entire game in RAM on the X. That could be one thing that would be X exclusive that could be really cool.

It's more than likely that the OG Xbox games already available on the 360 Store can be purchased on the X1. What's going to limit the releases is that they need publisher permission because they are a new executable and so technically a new version.

This was not a problem on the 360 because they games ran original code on a universal emulator. on the X1 it's an emulator packed in the the game code.

Ah I see thanks!

But yeah I think Phil has said og xbox bc isn't going to be like 360 bc in terms if the number of games

Top Bottom