• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Dashboard Leak - Version 2

SPDIF

idk how everyone else feels but imo that dashboard looks freaking terrible!!! I hated the new dashboard update for the 360 and they are moving more and more towards something worse and trying to make it like Win 8 and the stupid windows phone interface, i mean does anyone really like it? Idk where they are getting that these are good ideas from lol

A lot of people like Metro yes. What don't you like about the new dashboard?

Remember, Kinect will help navigation immensely. Being able to say something and it comes up is huge.

Also, it works excellently with a controller on a console. Been using it on the 360 for a while and I really do like it. I like it more than most other console UIs I've used.

For a desktop though...I've been using windows 8 and, while it works, it really isn't the greatest.

EDIT: also, what are those things on either side of the guide button? They look like LCD screens.

Naked Lunch

My 360/PS3 take a hella long time to load games - the insta load showed in this vid will be very welcome. I like how the main game in the tray - or games being loaded is displayed in a big box unlike the tiny box on 360. The dash looks great.

Boltman

Neo Member
I saw a screen cap in the original thread of a white label on the console but it was whited out because he had the flash on during the recording.

I noticed that as he pans out it clears up a bit and you can see the writing on the white label. I was wondering if there was anyone that could possibly screen cap it at that moment and maybe zoom it in a bit to see whats written on there?

Mr. X

I saw a screen cap in the original thread of a white label on the console but it was whited out because he had the flash on during the recording.

I noticed that as he pans out it clears up a bit and you can see the writing on the white label. I was wondering if there was anyone that could possibly screen cap it at that moment and maybe zoom it in a bit to see whats written on there?

Time stamp?

Bsigg12

Also, it works excellently with a controller on a console. Been using it on the 360 for a while and I really do like it. I like it more than most other console UIs I've used.

For a desktop though...I've been using windows 8 and, while it works, it really isn't the greatest.

EDIT: also, what are those things on either side of the guide button? They look like LCD screens.

They are the IR lights in the controller that Kinect can see. Kinda like the 3 purple dots on the Kinect, the camera the kid is using is able to pick up the IR emitters.

I believe its just the designation stickers that say it is a Dev or beta unit and what number it is.

I love Metro on my Lumia ... it just doesn't appeal to me on a non-touchscreen UI.

Had a Lumia 900 since May of last year. Metro is nice, but not being able to have an actual wallpaper behind them (if you only want a few tiles on home screen) gets very aggravating after awhile. Im sick of looking at either a white or black background with a bunch of tiles covering it. It's not aesthetically pleasing to my eyes!

I absolutely hated how the 360 was set up when it came to Wallpapers (which i could never get onto the system) and setting the tiles up. The 360 UI was waaaay better than the XMB, but when it comes to customization the PS3 blew it away. I could save any image from the web browser as a wallpaper and even download entire new themes right from the PS3 itself. For being an OS company, Microsoft has some kind of weird beef with people changing the look of their UI. Its maddening to me.

Ushae

Banned
Just saw it, obviously its beta and incomplete.

But I'm well impressed with the speed of the UI. Really like the system can multi task your game, will be using that feature a lot. Cant wait to get an official video from MS

Bsigg12

Cool, but then why aren't they on the front of the controller?

That whole plastic thing is clear but dark enough for a human eye not see through. If you watch, when he shows the back, you can see the light coming through on the top on the controller as well.

TheStevo

Banned
Looks solid, and quite snappy. Ads are toned down and off to the right, not bad.

Edit. Apparently I don't know the difference between right and left.

I'm kind of a fan of this dashboard. Curious to see the version consumers will see in the fall though, ads and all. I suspect they'll be more prominent than we're seeing here.

Well it looks okay. Okay, because I hated metro on my Windows 8 so much that I reinstalled 7.
Minimizing the running game and scrolling through the UI was cool from a graphical stand point though.

(Still a bit sceptical about PS4's UI, too, btw.)

Cels

Yup, cause it spread like wild fire. The top 25 xbox one news stories today on google are about this video.

apparently the other video on the kid's channel (which by the way uses his real name) contained footage of the family so it's gg for whichever employee this xbox one kit went out to

I believe its just the designation stickers that say it is a Dev or beta unit and what number it is.
The sticker is blurry, but it looks almost exactly like the UPC/SKU/serial barcode stickers that come on retail Microsoft product (which I see daily at work).

Bsigg12

The sticker is blurry, but it looks almost exactly like the UPC/SKU/serial barcode stickers that come on retail Microsoft product (which I see daily at work).

Those wouldn't be on the top and front of the box.

phpnqmmhu.jpg

Look at the back left, this is from a pocket lint.com gallery of a dev unit.

Those wouldn't be on the top and front of the box.

Look at the back left, this is from a pocket lint.com gallery of a dev unit.

I think the front sticker on the box in the video was a QR code, and I seem to recall seeing somewhere that the QR codes were put on boxes given out for broader internal testing. I could be remembering that wrong, though.

DrZeus

Between this leak and the displays going up in the MS stores has me starting to feel the launch hype. I don't have one of these preordered, but Phil Spencer said I can walk in launch day and buy. I might consider it. Or I might get a Wii U to go with my PS4 preorder
...seriously

Josman

I thinkit looks great, it has "pins" and then sections like games and tv on the uper part separated. But one question, can people upload videos and photos to their profile like the facebook-style feed on the ps4? If not they should add it with an update as a "friends activity" section on the upper part.

JMalerich

Neo Member
Absolutely love how quick it seems. The 360 dboard lag is getting a little crazy. The only thing I'm not a fan of is how green it is. Everything looks too similar. Really hoping they reveal more footage on the new OS. Pretty cool stuff though.

Ghazi

I feel so bad for that kid's parents/family, that's ridiculous. I don't understand why he'd feel fine doing something like this, it's obviously a no-no.

SenkiDala

I don't get it, why this dashboard is so awful for you?

Too many "little squares"? It's "messy"? But in fact the PS4 dashboard really looks like same:

Well except it's blue... It looks like same, or like a smartphone app.

Anyway I like both of them, but it's still funny to see that everytime there's a news about MS, the comments will be negatives.

Top Bottom