• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Elite Controller impressions

My fear is the life on these things, my launch day controller formed a stick issue and it makes me worry that my new controller currently will do the same, I always take care of my gear too.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'd also like for this controller to have adjustable tightness on the sticks. The tighter, the better. 360 had it nice.

By swapping to the taller or shorter sticks you will be adjusting the tightness; Basically how levers work.

Adding some sort of mechanism to adjust this would cause an insane amount of issues as the part was used and wore out.

So, how good are these Eneloops? I see people mentioning them all the time, but are they really that good? How long do they last?

Eh, they're alright. They say that they're supposed to last a year sitting in a drawer after a charge, but I do not find this to be true. They die pretty dang fast when they're not being used. I bought a pack of 64 Rayovacs to use when I'm waiting for my Eneloops to recharge which really defeats the purpose.

Troy

Banned
My fear is the life on these things, my launch day controller formed a stick issue and it makes me worry that my new controller currently will do the same, I always take care of my gear too.

Same. MS has a bad track record with quality control on their controllers. If the warranty on this thing is 3 months, there's no way I'm buying one. If it's a year or more, I'll grab one.

papo

I pre-ordered the 1Tb bundle that comes with the elite. It seemed time for an upgrade and getting it + selling the old system will net me these package for about 300. Seems about goo d to me.

alterno69

Banned
I hate having to change batteries in my controller, i don't get what's so bad about having a controller with an internal battery, i never have to worry about it on my PS4 even with the "terrible" battery, in two years i think i've had a controller die on my maybe once.

I hate turning on my Xbox One and having to scramble to find charged batteries.

KevinG

Same. MS has a bad track record with quality control on their controllers. If the warranty on this thing is 3 months, there's no way I'm buying one. If it's a year or more, I'll grab one.

It's a year. According to Amazon.

E92 M3

By swapping to the taller or shorter sticks you will be adjusting the tightness; Basically how levers work.

Adding some sort of mechanism to adjust this would cause an insane amount of issues as the part was used and wore out.

I understand, but my worry is if it will be enough.

The Flash

Banned

Rootbeer

Banned
Cancelled my order about a month ago... I really, really want one but I decided to wait for impressions from actual users. This thing is just too expensive for a controller to take a gamble on it especially when there are innovative gamepads like the Steam controller hitting market that might be better buys.

Hope I can order one later this year... after I do a lot more reading and video watching :)

The polygon video makes this sucker look SHARP as fuck though.

ElNino

Eh, they're alright. They say that they're supposed to last a year sitting in a drawer after a charge, but I do not find this to be true. They die pretty dang fast when they're not being used. I bought a pack of 64 Rayovacs to use when I'm waiting for my Eneloops to recharge which really defeats the purpose.
I don't have that problem. I have Eneloops that have sit in my cupboard for a year and then when I pop them in they worked great with at least 75% charge.

In the Xbox One controllers, I go a month or so in between charges with my son using them almost daily. They also have been sitting in Wiimotes and Xbox 360 controllers that sometimes go months between use, and still work fine when they are needed.

Is it beefy and heavier than the little toy ones they currently have? I loved how the 360 controller felt like a tank. I could squeeze the shit out of it and not hear it squeak. No fuck way in hell am I spending $150 for it, but If it's heavier, and doesn't squeak, I can see myself pick it up when it drops to $139.99.

Troy

Banned
I hate having to change batteries in my controller, i don't get what's so bad about having a controller with an internal battery, i never have to worry about it on my PS4 even with the "terrible" battery, in two years i think i've had a controller die on my maybe once.

Internal batteries lose charge. Changing them sucks. The best way to do it is MS' way of allowing you to use your own batteries or to add the equivalent of an internal battery that's easily changeable.

I don't get why publications complain about rechargeable batteries. Especially considering the amazing battery life from the Xbox controller. I find it way more convenient as well. I've got to keep my ps4 chargers on a dock at all times.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Then you don't have enough eneloops.
Always have 4-8 charged at all times in my home to swap into various electronics.

alterno69

Banned
Internal batteries lose charge. Changing them sucks. The best way to do it is MS' way of allowing you to use your own batteries or to add the equivalent of an internal battery that's easily changeable.
I've read this argument since the day the PS3 was announced and i still don't think it holds true, i never had to replace a PS3 controller cause a battery stopped holding the charge, and i had it since launch.

Edit: Every modern electronic equipment that uses batteries has an internal rechargeable battery these days, i can't think of anything besides the Xbox controllers in my house that require me to change the batteries myself, except for my Mac keyboard and mouse, which i also hate, i'm getting the new ones with internal battery as soon as they're available in Mexico.

Edit: I actually bought two play and charge kits from MS, one for my 360 and one for the One, they both died in less than a year.

DannyButtermen

Neo Member
Wow, this is looking better than I initially expected.

In my opinion, I also find the lack of built-in batteries as a Pro, especially if you have Play and Charge kit/Eneloops as mentioned. I would be worried a built in battery would drain too quickly with all that's going on in this controller.

Looking forward to picking one of these up.

Non rechargeable batteries is a HUGE pro, at least for gaming controllers. It's so much easier and faster to swap out my eneloops than having to plug in my controllers in the middle of my gaming sessions.

Plus, at the moment, my USB cables aren't long enough for me to sit on my couch. And then it's no longer wireless. And they die eventually and you have to replace the whole thing.

I'm stoked!!

quest

Not Banned from OT

For me personally I rather deal with batteries than having to have a charge cable at each of my gaming seats. The xbox controllers give you more options which is ideal. Want to use batteries great. Want to use charge and play kit that is basically a replaceable internal battery great.

Probably a dumb question, but if I switch the A and B buttons, will games that show button prompts detect that?

Basically, if a game says "Press A to jump" would it instead show "Press B to jump"?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Cons
Price
Non-rechargeable batteries

FFS, I'm sure it is great to be able to throw away your $150 controller because the batteries died. It would be nice if they included the charge kit with this controller but other than that it is a definite plus that the controller can use normal AAs, Eneloops and anything else.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
So, how good are these Eneloops? I see people mentioning them all the time, but are they really that good? How long do they last?

I bought my four Eneloops three years ago. They last about 15 hours of playtime in the Xbox One controller, normal AA batteries last a little longer. Of course rumble intensive games like Forza 6 drain the energy a little faster. I recharge my Eneloops about every second day (switch the pair that was charged with the empty one) and haven't had a substantial loss in battery life over those three years (which amounts to about 500 recharges). They cost me 10 Euro including the charger so yeah, Eneloops are incredibly good. But there are Chinese fakes on Amazon and eBay, those are no good. Best buy offline.

texore

I'm really hoping physical Microsoft stores will have this stocked. I didn't preorder because I have $50 in gift cards I wanted to use.

I bought my four Eneloops three years ago. They last about 15 hours of playtime in the Xbox One controller, normal AA batteries last a little longer. Of course rumble intensive games like Forza 6 drain the energy a little faster. I recharge my Eneloops about every second day (switch the pair that was charged with the empty one) and haven't had a substantial loss in battery life over those three years (which amounts to about 500 recharges). They cost me 10 Euro including the charger so yeah, Eneloops are incredibly good. But there are Chinese fakes on Amazon and eBay, those are no good. Best buy offline.

Eneloops loose 30% over a year or so, extremely good for a battery you might end up using every day.

Plus they don't drain half as fast as a normal rechargable when not in use, they hold on to power for months, my high capacity duracells will drop all charge after about 3 weeks.

Spasm

I don't have that problem. I have Eneloops that have sit in my cupboard for a year and then when I pop them in they worked great with at least 75% charge.

In the Xbox One controllers, I go a month or so in between charges with my son using them almost daily. They also have been sitting in Wiimotes and Xbox 360 controllers that sometimes go months between use, and still work fine when they are needed.

This is my experience as well. My Eneloops are over 6 years old, and still give me about 25 hours of gaming per charge. Not bad for $29.

Edit: Full disclosure, I have a charger with a refresh function that works miracles on keeping these thing tip-top.

These impressions don't really add me much we don't already know. Would like to see an actual breakdown.

Can't wait 'til Tuesday!

I don't know what he's talking about here, I dislike going back to the 360 controller after using an Xbox One controller for a while.

I don't know what he's talking about either.

"Bumper buttons are finally, actually usable"

Did they ever try the new 3.5mm headphone jack model of the controller?

The reviewer probably never tried or knew about the controller revision. Oh well though, at least we know the Elite is the best controller ever made basically. I wouldn't expect anything less for the price.

Top Bottom