• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Elite Controller impressions

Falchion

Shout out to this becoming a battery thread. Guess I'll have to try out Eneloops since so many users swear by them. I love having the plug and play kit though. If my battery is low when I'm done playing I just plug it in when I turn off my system and it's ready to go next time.

shandy706

Same. MS has a bad track record with quality control on their controllers. If the warranty on this thing is 3 months, there's no way I'm buying one. If it's a year or more, I'll grab one.

Wat?

Every single Xbox controller I've owned since 2001 still functions fine.

That's across 15 controllers. 1 OG Xbox controller, 4 OG S controllers, 6 360 controllers (2 PC), and 3 X1 controllers. I've never heard of them having QC problems.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Not only are eneloops more practical, but I personally love swapping the batteries in the controller. Reminds me of when I had to swap batteries for my toys and RC cars when I was a kid. I remember I got an RC toy car one Christmas and that thing was a behemoth that needed 8 AAs and even then would only last like 20 minutes. But it was a tank on any terrain, even in the snow.

I hope sony is taking notes.

I bet they are...especially since Microsoft sold out already. KUDOS to MS for giving folks that spend hundreds if not thousands of hours with a controller in hand a premium option. The market for for these kind of products is obviously large enough to justify the investment.

nib95

Banned
Look at that, they gave you a choice. Eneloops are better. I get to use those. You get to use what you want. Everyone wins. Choices are great.

Give me a choice by throwing one of them in with the controller for free, and letting me buy the other if I prefer it. Having both as additional purchase options is stupid. The point is I shouldn't have to spend additional money for a rechargeable controller, especially if it costs $150...

Given me a choice by throwing one of them in with the controller for free, and letting me buy the other if I prefer it. Having both as additional purchase options is stupid.
Why would it be free? Honestly I would pay Sony for the option to remove the battery.

Have to agree with all those taking issue with no Rechargeable batteries being a con.

I have a controller with a play and charge kit but I just replaced it with eneloops because plugging in a controller and being tethered to a console is so dam annoying.

I literally spent extra money just so I do not have too.

Torment

Banned
Wat?

Every single Xbox controller I've owned since 2001 still functions fine.

That's across 15 controllers. 1 OG Xbox controller, 4 OG S controllers, 6 360 controllers (2 PC), and 3 X1 controllers. I've never heard of them having QC problems.

Agreed, I have never once had a problem with an Xbox Controller and I have owned 11.

FordGTGuy

Banned
http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2015/1...ont page)&utm_content=1&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Pros
Feels great
Great companion app
Beautiful build and design
Tons of customisations

Cons
Price
Non-rechargeable batteries

How is "Non-rechargeable batteries" a con when you can put rechargeable AAs in the controller?

XJKqWbq.jpg

Lemonte

I play Trackmania2 Canyon on pc with 360 pad and in 3-6 months, depending how much I play, left stick becomes too loose and inaccurate. I would gladly pay premium for elite controller if this wouldn't be a problem anymore.

So, how good are these Eneloops? I see people mentioning them all the time, but are they really that good? How long do they last?

They are so good that in another thread about Xbox controller battery options, the entire first page recommended Eneloops.

On Demand

Banned
I bet they are...especially since Microsoft sold out already. KUDOS to MS for giving folks that spend hundreds if not thousands of hours with a controller in hand a premium option. The market for for these kind of products is obviously large enough to justify the investment.

Sony can't even get the build quality of the DS4 right, as good a controller it is. They shouldn't even attempt to make a premium controller. Any kind of problem with quality at that high price, they're fucked.

MCD

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHKSL1O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Currently using this with all my X1 and X360 controllers. Not only they last long, but they hold their charge even after leaving them for months.

But if you fancy something official and more convenient than battery chargers, then get the official play and charge kit:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DBDPOZ4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The battery is almost as good as the Eneloop.

For more Elite level status, there is this one from Power A:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015FDQSRU/

Dunno how good it will be though.

Gambit61

I wonder if stick drift will be an issue on these, every 360 controller I have eventually got it. Do Xbox one controllers in general have this issue? Also I wonder if Microsoft will enable the headphone port for PC users.

FordGTGuy

Banned
do eneloops come in the box?

no?

then you have your answer, right?

A con implies that it isn't capable, it is easily capable.

So no that doesn't answer my question.

Those of us buying Elite controllers have most likely already bought Eneloops so yes... we have Eneloops or a rechargeable battery pack.

I wonder if stick drift will be an issue on these, every 360 controller I have eventually got it. Do Xbox one controllers in general have this issue? Also I wonder if Microsoft will enable the headphone port for PC users.
They are using steel to minimize friction and increase the durability.

Supposedly they wear very slowly compared to normal controllers.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
My preorder was dated for Nov 6th, so I canceled. I may pick one up down the line, especially if it's as rugid as its said to be. But its not a good time of the year to spend 150 on something I don't really need.

Looking forward to hands on impressions

SpecX

The battery argument is hilarious. I'm not mad they allow you to use your own rechargeable batteries or let you put whatever type you want in there, I think that's great and gives people a choice. What I do hate is you pay $150 for this controller and they can't even throw in the official battery pack. I think for the price and how this is an "Elite" controller, they should at least throw in the rechargeable battery pack they sell and still let you decide if you want to use your eneloops or another brand.

Bsigg12

In an interview a few months back with one of the main guys on the project, he said one of their top priorities outside of adding features was minimizing issues like stick drift. The use of stainless steel parts should help prevent wear as well.

The headphone port already works on PC with Xbox One controllers.

timlot

Banned
I believe Sony doesn't include a usb charging cable with their regular $60 controller. Yeah, they give you one with the console, but for $60 you would think they would throw in a cable to charge the damn thing.
End of my console warrior rant..

Eneloop batteries work great, but I've always use a Nyko charging base. Got on sale for $12. Controller is always ready and charged.

Tadpole

Lol at price as a con. If the price for this is a consideration then it's not intended for you. It's made for people that would pay serious dough for a premium controller.

Isurus

Sounds excellent. Glad I preordered.

+1 to eneloops. Been using them for years and they are great. I much prefer them as opposed to an internal battery. Huge pro there for me.

Stevey

I'd also like for this controller to have adjustable tightness on the sticks. The tighter, the better. 360 had it nice.

Yes.
This is my only complaint with the standard Xbox One controller- not quite enough resistance for me.

Guys and gals, my hype level for this is unreal. I mean, playing Halo 5 on this alone will be fantastic. Then I add in all my PC games! So stoked. I've never invested in a fancy controller before but after playing Destiny on both PS4 and Xb1 for over 1000 hours, I definitely can justify the price for the amount of hours spent gaming on the crappy stock controllers.

Top Bottom