• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Elite Controller impressions

jet1911

Choice that ends up costing you additional money, and therein lies the problem. Microsoft ought to include a rechargeable option with the controller and then give you the choice to pick another of your own accord and of your own expense. But instead if you want something rechargeable, you either have to buy a pack of Eneloops and a wall charger (roughly $20), or a Play and Charge kit (roughly $25), and that's the shitty bit. The fact that Microsoft is too cheap to throw in a Play and Charge kit even with their $150 controller says a lot.

Beats having to buy a nee controller like I'll have to do with my DS4 because the connector used to charge the battery is broke. 75$ down the drain :/

Tempted to buy but for the price, I'd rather try the steam controller first.

I hate the shoulder buttons on the standard xbone controller to begin with, the hit or miss PS4 game pad button mapping in games so I've just been using my trusty 360 pad.

I assume the elite controller has the same shoulder buttons as the standard xbone controller? I find them way harder to actually push than the 360's shoulder buttons.

Do you have the new version with the 3.5mm headphone jack? Because they changed the LB/RB on those, and pretty sure the Elite has the updated buttons.

They are hands down the best AA and AAA batteries I have ever used.
After having eneloops, I grew to dislike internal batteries in controllers. Internal batteries are absolute dogshit in comparison.

Eneloops completely changed my stance on rechargeable batteries.

I only wish my ps4 didn't have a stupid internal battery. I spend most of my game time tethered to the system because of the pooor internal.

Alx

I think the ir sensor was removed from regular controllers aswell.

Was it ? I just bought a lunar white controller, and it still had the leaflet that told me I could sync it by letting the kinect see it (although that didn't work, but I blamed the prevuew dashboard for that)

kingwingin

Isn't the IR sensor used in the same way as the Wiimote... to track movement and position?
I may be wrong but I thought I heard it somehwere

Was it ? I just bought a lunar white controller, and it still had the leaflet that told me I could sync it by letting the kinect see it (although that didn't work, but I blamed the prevuew dashboard for that)
I think you can shine a flashlight on it and see if its there

TSM

After using rechargeable AA's it's hard to get used to internal batteries. Instead of spending 10 seconds changing your AA's you instead get to either play tethered to a cord or have to have a second controller ready to go. You also never have the issue of replacing the proprietary battery when it eventually craps out.

TheYanger

Choice that ends up costing you additional money, and therein lies the problem. Microsoft ought to include a rechargeable option with the controller and then give you the choice to pick another of your own accord and of your own expense. But instead if you want something rechargeable, you either have to buy a pack of Eneloops and a wall charger (roughly $20), or a Play and Charge kit (roughly $25), and that's the shitty bit. The fact that Microsoft is too cheap to throw in a Play and Charge kit even with their $150 controller says a lot.

Except that lots of us already have 'solutions' sorted out, so they're not charging us for shit we don't want. That's choice. If they bundled the costlier option in that would be a lack of choice - yeah we could choose not to use it, but we couldn't choose not to buy it.

AlterOdin

Yeah, you can do that even with the 'standard' controller too.

Just download the new Xbox Accessories app from the store.

Ok, cool. Was intending to use it with my PC, and would be great to have a southpaw profile and a regular profile mapped controller's "profile storage" (the 1 and 2 switch-thingy).

Head.spawn

Here is another really positive review.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/10/22/xbox-one-elite-review/

The only real negative that I haven't seen anywhere is this:

Not a huge negative for most people, fair play for him pointing it out though.

Same with the White Lunar as well. It's sorely missed. It took me a while to find out where that little button was, it was like I was 16 again, fumbling around pressing all over the place, missing the point.

I'm guessing this is going to be the same with all controllers going forward.

But the market claimed they didn't want Kinect, so this is where we are now.

A million doesn't sound like a lot, though.

Maybe 1 million isn't mind bogglingly impressive; but the '0-wear' certainly is IMO.

Justinh

I really love how hyped and excited this guy is in his review, especially when he starts using the paddles lol.

lol, i paused it to grab a soda, came back, and this is what it looked like.
KB8Dryo.jpg
I think I'm going to love this guy...

Watching that IGN stream now.

edit: real quick, this dude plays a little bit of a mission from the halo 5 campaign, so keep that in mind if you're avoiding all spoilers

Karamsoul

I see the option for the controller for adjusting stick sensitivities using the app, but the real question is whether we can adjust the stiffness of the sticks physically on the controller itself. The too-twitchy sticks on the current Xbox One controller are REALLY off-putting for me and many others - prefer the stiffness of the Xbox 360 sticks.

Anyone who has tried the Elite controller - have they resolved this concern? Or is there a way to make the sticks physically more stiff?

Still looking for an answer for this. Can anyone comment?

What is the sensitivity of the triggers when the hair trigger is engaged?

The trigger sensitivity option in the Accessories app, seems to be for the triggers when the hair trigger is NOT engaged.

So if the trigger default is 0-100, what is the hair trigger setting?

Top Bottom