• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Elite Controller impressions

Gambit61

They are using steel to minimize friction and increase the durability.

Supposedly they wear very slowly compared to normal controllers.

In an interview a few months back with one of the main guys on the project, he said one of their top priorities outside of adding features was minimizing issues like stick drift. The use of stainless steel parts should help prevent wear as well.

The headphone port already works on PC with Xbox One controllers.

Nice, looks like I'll be getting one once they are back in stock and have some more user impressions. Thanks.

TaKeRx

Pro are more for cameras, they have longer battery life but less charges to them. It's up to you, but you will not be able to recharge the pro's as many times as the regulars.

Thanks! Ordered the non-pro batteries. I'm all set now for Tuesday :).

Chorazin

I think I'm more hyped for this than I am Halo 5. Probably because I won't have to download a 9gb patch to play with it on Tuesday.

iNvid02

what are you guys going to play first with this thing? sounds like everyone is jumping into halo, im just going back to the witcher 3 lol

You lot actually made me order a pack of Eneloops, the pro versions with a charger. It'll be interesting to see if they eventually make their way into my Wiimotes as well.

Tons of unboxing vids on YT already, but I actually wanna hear and see the controller in action and here how it performs in comparison to the standard controller. Bring those vids lads,,,

Still on the fence...150 euro's is a lot of money for me.

naitosan

Dammit, wish I could afford one. :( This season is quite busy with games (preordered Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Halo 5: Guardians, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Fallout 4) so I won't be able to purchase anything until January.

Maybe I'll ask for Xmas from my wife. :)

SwolBro

Banned
You lot actually made me order a pack of Eneloops, the pro versions with a charger. It'll be interesting to see if they eventually make their way into my Wiimotes as well.

glad we could make you see the light and realize what a better option it is not to include a solid battery pack you can't remove.

also, don't forget to get the pack with the battery charger included. ;)

Tons of unboxing vids on YT already, but I actually wanna hear and see the controller in action and here how it performs in comparison to the standard controller. Bring those vids lads,,,

Still on the fence...150 euro's is a lot of money for me.

what exactly are you going to be waiting for though? someone with completely different hands and skill sets than you saying "wow these are amazing" or "yeah my fingers just can't click these paddles right"

the controller is of high quality. everything else is going to be up to how you grip it and feel with it in your hands.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
what are you guys going to play first with this thing? sounds like everyone is jumping into halo, im just going back to the witcher 3 lol

I remapped lower right paddle to melee, using default button layout and it is perfection.

It's funny that this is coming out in the same year that competitive Call of Duty (the main destination for Scufs) moves to the PlayStation 4.

That said, Sony needs to really step it the fuck up with their controller. Best design, but terrible build quality. Adding paddles wouldn't hurt either.

what exactly are you going to be waiting for though? someone with completely different hands and skill sets than you saying "wow these are amazing" or "yeah my fingers just can't click these paddles right"

the controller is of high quality. everything else is going to be up to how you grip it and feel with it in your hands.

Jeez ...what's it to you? I wanna hear and see review for a 150 euro device. It that so strange? If so...what are you doing in a review thread?

On Demand

Banned
It's funny that this is coming out in the same year that competitive Call of Duty (the main destination for Scufs) moves to the PlayStation 4.

That said, Sony needs to really step it the fuck up with their controller. Best design, but terrible build quality. Adding paddles wouldn't hurt either.

Don't they give the players Scufs controllers anyway?

Jb

I really wish they would put some in stores. I'd like to try one out before dropping 150 on something that might only feels marginally better than a regular XB1 controller.

SwolBro

Banned
Jeez ...what's it to you? I wanna hear and see review for a 150 euro device. It that so strange? If so...what are you doing in a review thread?

sorry, i didn't mean to come off rude. i'm just i dunno... wondering? from 90% of the reviews so far up on the net or on youtube it's the same thing over and over.

they show us exactly what we already know. no one actually does any type of REAL reviewing, at least not yet. There's no talk about the app, there's no talk about stick sensitivity curves, deadzones, thumbstick feel, paddle clickability, nothing. I know it's early but you'd think people would just go ahead and delve into the controller rather than say "hey look i got one"

disenchanted with the net today. my bad.

mbmonk

False. I believe it was mentioned in an MS video that these could be bound to whatever you want. They are additional buttons on PC.

This is from the official MS page for the Elite controller:

Customize your experience even further with an easy-to-use app*. Adjust trigger min/max values, thumbstick sensitivities, button assignments, and more, so the controls are exactly the way you want them. Assign any of 14 inputs to the ABXY buttons, paddles, D-pad, triggers, and thumbstick clicks.

Link: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/controllers/elite-wireless-controller

It doesn't sound like they can be remapped to keyboard inputs, etc on PC.

sorry, i didn't mean to come off rude. i'm just i dunno... wondering? from 90% of the reviews so far up on the net or on youtube it's the same thing over and over.

they show us exactly what we already know. no one actually does any type of REAL reviewing, at least not yet. There's no talk about the app, there's no talk about stick sensitivity curves, deadzones, thumbstick feel, paddle clickability, nothing. I know it's early but you'd think people would just go ahead and delve into the controller rather than say "hey look i got one"

disenchanted with the net today. my bad.

No problem... and thanks for your reply.
I know what it can do, seen all those vids over and over... but the real review, while playing games, is still missing...that's what I'm looking for.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This is from the official MS page for the Elite controller:

Link: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/controllers/elite-wireless-controller

It doesn't sound like they can be remapped to keyboard inputs, etc on PC.

Sure that is how it will be with consoles.

You really think the PC community will let it stay that way?
If they can get the touchpad on the PS4 controller working for PC and the Gamecube controller working for PC, they can get these paddles mapped.

mbmonk

Sure that is how it will be with consoles.

You really think the PC community will let it stay that way?
If they can get the touchpad on the PS4 controller working for PC and the Gamecube controller working for PC, they can get these paddles mapped.

Possibly. Your replay made it sound like this was already possible. When you tell someone their claim is false, it supposes that functionality is already available. You made no qualifier about "you can't right now" etc etc.

Also, there is the possible problem with the size of the onboard memory. It might be designed ton only hold 14 possible values for a button. Expanding that to hold 100+ values for keyboard bindings might not be possible.

PC modders are amazing so maybe the can pull it off.

The elite controller is expensive compared to your average controller but no publication so far has acknowledged that the primary market isnt your average gamer. Its a controller for Hardcore or Pro players. In that area this controller is actually very reasonably priced. I wish one article address that once.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Possibly. Your replay made it sound like this was already possible. When you tell someone their claim is false, it supposes that functionality is already available. You made no qualifier about "you can't right now" etc etc.

Also, there is the possible problem with the size of the onboard memory. It might be designed ton only hold 14 possible values for a button. Expanding that to hold 100+ values for keyboard bindings might not be possible.

PC modders are amazing so maybe the can pull it off.

The controller doesn't have to store things in memory when playing on PC (unless MS forces it through their software). That memory circumstance can only happen if a person wanted to store the profiles on the controller.

If the controller has buttons that register in MS software as separate buttons, then they can and will be seen as separate inputs on PC. Use the in-game options to map to the different buttons and it should be good to go.

The only problem is if the MS software forces the user to go through the internal memory profiles. In that case we would wait a couple weeks for custom drivers to be released which don't require that limitation.

naitosan

Can some explain to me why in this day and age you need batteries for a controller ?
This has been explained many times by many people. :p

1. Internal battery is way too short (look at DS4).
2. Rechargeable batteries are vastly better and lasts much longer. Saves money too.
3. More choices.
4. You still need to plug in to recharge on both anyway so nothing is lost. (Even better, you can replace on fly if you have charged batteries ready)

Can some explain to me why in this day and age you need batteries for a controller ?

Because we all agreed that that's better?

In this day and age we also don't drink rat poison because we all agreed that it's better not to drink rat poison.

Simple stuff.

krang

You can choose disposables. You can choose rechargeables. You can choose a recharging pack. If any of those die, you can replace them quickly.

Choice, basically.

Top Bottom