• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One February update is rolling out

muzzymate

For everyone complaining that the new update method is dumb, I remember seeing just as many complaining about being in the middle of a multiplayer match when a 360 update would hit, knocking them offline.

This update method is much better for the general population. Now missing a "Check for Update" button for those who can't wait, yeah, that's dumb.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
No update for me yet. Tried restarting last night multiple times. Been playing titanfall most of the day. Live in WV.

Rat Salad

Banned
I'm in central California and have had the X1 on Instant One for over a day now,no update. I went ahead and stuck the update on a usb and it updated the console in no time. Compared to jail breaking phones and tablets this was beyond easy. Nice to have battery and hard drive indicators now. "You gotta enjoy the little things" </zombie land> :)

The big graph showing your space left on the drive looks good. I've used almost 30% of my drive,it says I have 258 gigs left. Will be trying the games out in abit,especially Dead Rising 3.
----------------------

Ok played some Dead Rising. Game looks abit brighter now,and less jagies,but abit blurry in some spots. I definately like the softer/newer look after the update. Looks cleaner,colors blend better.
----------------------
Killer Instinct,looks about the same to me. Maybe the contrast has changed? I dunno. It looks looks like the brightness is a tad higher. As for 'crashed blacks'...that sort of stuff I could give a shit about,the game has always looked great. Now it looks a tad better,so the drama over crushed blacks,well I still think its overblown but whatever. But for those who care about that,yes the game looks abit brighter now.
---------------------------
Nice update. Gonna go fool around with the UI some more.
---------------------------
(Edit) Holy shit I can't believe it..... The fycking console finally hears me when I say Xbox On. That was such an annoyance when it never worked,which was like 99% of the time for me. Nice to hace this working. Abit of a momentum starting towards March I guess,looking forward to the next update. Goes without saying,this should have all been there day one, yet theres abit of peace of mind that were heading in the right direction now,things are running smoother. Nice update.

This happened to me since day 1. Apparently, it's called HDMI handshake. Only fix is to switch the channel in your receiver or on/off.

But for me this happened after the console was on, and outputting image prior...

It first happened on Netflix, I was in the middle of an episode and suddenly the image went black...

The other time it happened I had that issue with BF4, where it would not complete the loading to enter a match, when I pressed the guide button to try closing it the image blacked out, but I still could control it, and hear the volume...

Caayn

Another observation: HDD has 57% used, and 157.1gb free, my maths might be off here but that means theres around 365gb useable in a 500gb HDD. How much is lost in formatting? 30/40gb? Whats happening to the other 100gb? Surely the OS/Kinect isn't using up that much :S
No that's correct. From the advertised 500GB you get about 391GB that you can use. The rest of the space is reserved by the OS and lost due to the GiB vs GB method of counting. This is how the Xbox One hard disk is partitioned: (Data comes from an unused Xbox One, never turned on)

Temp Content: 44 GB capacity, 27.1GB available

User Content: 391.9 GB capacity, none used.

System Support: 42.9 GB capacity, 34.1 GB available.

System Update: 12.8 GB capacity, 11.8 GB available.

System Update 2: 7.52 GB capacity, 7.47 GB available

So I turned my One on today and some green bar was loading up. Was that the update? I still dont see any battery meter and friends is still pretty tedious to get to.

EvB

I discovered something yesterday

Highlight an app/game tile hold L+R+ back to see system information about each app/game.

No, but I believe a firmware update for a controller requires you to do a particular process with a USB cable.

My controller drifts in titanfall both pre and post update, never have had that in another game

That USB thing is only for the stereo headset adapter. The controller doesn't need a firmware update for the analog stick update (otherwise they would have noted it). Presumably all that is handled by the Xbox OS and that is what was updated.

MCD

But for me this happened after the console was on, and outputting image prior...

It first happened on Netflix, I was in the middle of an episode and suddenly the image went black...

The other time it happened I had that issue with BF4, where it would not complete the loading to enter a match, when I pressed the guide button to try closing it the image blacked out, but I still could control it, and hear the volume...

OK. This is different than my issue.

Could be the update but just in case, try to change the HDMI cable. It might be related.

Wurdfurd

My X1 is being overly stubborn and refuses to get the update. Is this confirmed to be 100% rolled out or is it still in waves?

Edit: fuck my bone heard me bitching about it
through the power of kinect
and started updating!!!

48 hours later and still no update.

Jesus Christ, it would be funny if it wasn't so depressing. How hard can it be to push an update to just a couple million consoles?

Goddamn ridiculous.

Sioen

48 hours later and still no update.

Jesus Christ, it would be funny if it wasn't so depressing. How hard can it be to push an update to just a couple million consoles?

Goddamn ridiculous.
Got my update but yeah the way it does the update is retarded, they should fix the update process in another update.

xexon

Banned
Hey guys,

I dont currently own a Xbone but was thinking of picking one up again.

Can anyone confirm Kinect hearing your voice any better?

I returned mine because of problems with my kinect.

Ive hear chatter that this is true.

Thanks

PS I know about calibration. :)

Kinect works for me about 95% of the time. The only thing that doesn't work every time is Xbox on.

My fan is stuck at 100%, errrrrrrrrrrrr really loud.

ringing ms tomorrow, worst update ever

edit: blu-ray drive is going really loud even at home screen, no disc = silent, disc = headache

condering mainly play ki and spartan assault, kinda annoying, anyway i pulled bf4 out my xbone one

Majanew

Banned
Got the update around 1am ET ... and I downloaded Titanfall.

Titanfall is the first FPS I've played with the Xbox One controller. I've been wanting to try an FPS on it (bought BF4 on PS4 and I hate COD) as I wasn't sure if the sticks would be too loose for my liking. Nope. Feels fucking good man.

Yeah I hope soon on the XBO controllers on the PC. My plan is to wait until next year to get a new gaming PC when there is some leap with RAM and SSD internal drives are reasonably priced in the 500 GB plus range. I'll jump to PC as my primary platform if I can play on my couch.

derFeef

I ... ugh... I hope the party system/invite friends is actually working after the march update, it's infuriating right now.

TS-08

Thanks for the info.

I got the X1 on Valentine's, and I will agree with the other poster. Xbox on is the only command I've had repeated trouble with, although I've found it will typically work if said a bit louder than the other ones.

T.O.P

Banned
My fan is stuck at 100%, errrrrrrrrrrrr really loud.

ringing ms tomorrow, worst update ever

edit: blu-ray drive is going really loud even at home screen, no disc = silent, disc = headache

condering mainly play ki and spartan assault, kinda annoying, anyway i pulled bf4 out my xbone one

even with a hard reset? :/

E92 M3

I find fixes to party and game invites much more needed so I say it's more significant.

Hopefully we get even more surprises in the patch notes. At the end of the day I just feel the 360 had everything so well integrated. Hopefully MS can return to that mantra. Having everything as apps feels disjointed and slow. I want quick, snappy loading.

Also, we need some kind of wall paper. Looks like the abyss in the background.

A little off topic question: is it worth hooking up my cable box to the One if I leave it on often to record?

Is it finally possible to change the language without changing the region?
Nope! ...thx for the patches, really MS... but could you now finally untie language from region settings, MS? That's the ONLY thing I'm asking for, PLEASE. I want to play my games in english. It would cost a programmer probably about 20 minutes to make that work...

I own Dead Rising 3 for over 2 months now and am about 2 hours into it, because I never feel like changing region, language to us/en, then reboot, play and set it back after playing. It's super annoying (I mean the game is BANNED in my country, I bought it in GB and am forced play it in my countries language, wtf?!). OR make an in-game language selection mandatory for game developers, I'd be fine with that too.

So, now that update is out, does it bring new perspective on new features you guys want?

Since the console now gives access directly to your save data, it would be nice if it exposed some sort of version control, so in case a file got corrupted, or accidently deleted, you could still recover it from a selected time frame.

Regarding save data too. Why does the bone waits until the app is opened to sync it? It's stupid! Keep it synced all the time, even when the console is on sleep mode.

After this update I noticed a gestures tutorial that I never noticed before (not sure if it was new or not), and learned about the press and hold for menu. Whish we had faster selecting options. Prior to launch Ms talked about finger taping for selection. My finger is clearly visible from Kinect's depth view. It would be even better for navigation if they made selection gestures more fine grained, like a simple finger tap for selecting, two fingers tap for menu, etc... At least give these options if the person is near enough for these gestures to be reliable.

It would be nice to have an option to automatically install all content that I own for games and apps that are already installed. And again, this could be checked while in sleep mode, so whenever I redeem a code anywhere that content is automatically downloaded.

OK. This is different than my issue.

Could be the update but just in case, try to change the HDMI cable. It might be related.

I see. If it ever happens again I'll try that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Anyone else having issues with games crashing before the title screen after the update? Both Max and Crimson Dragon did it a couple times.

Redshirt

Banned
I haven't experienced any issues. My XB1 has been rock solid; although I've mostly been playing Titanfall.

We need external hard drive support! Please, please let that be in the March update.

Anyone else having issues with games crashing before the title screen after the update? Both Max and Crimson Dragon did it a couple times.

Fifa has done it to me, but Fifa has done it a few times before so I've always considered that an EA thing...

Just checked and still no update.

This is getting pretty bloody annoying. Why on Earth didn't they include a check for update option or push the update to everyone at the same time?

Jesus Christ...

jem0208

When they bring out some kind of special cable that allows it. $30 at selected retailers

You can use a normal Mini (or Micro, can never remember which one is which :S) USB cable and it sends the data down that instead of wirelessly.

So no, you won't need to spend money on a cable.

People were telling me it was going to happen in 2014. Like, early 2014. I'm wanting to replace my 360 pad with it.

They said it would be out for the Titanfall release IIRC.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Just installed the update, but now my kinect doesn't auto sign me in and when I try to manually sign in, it says to try again later. I can sign in just fine on xbox.com and the status page says there are no issues. Anyone have any ideas. Only started doing this after the update.

NicolasVH

Neo Member
Got the new update and can't shut down my Xbox One with voice controls anymore. :(

'Xbox Turn Off' still triggers the confirm dialog. However, my Kinect doesn't want to respond to my 'Yes' confirm command anymore. I tried thousands of times, it just doesn't go. 'No' works fine by the way.

Really not kidding, my Kinect just refuses to shut down the Xbox One.

Top Bottom