• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One February update is rolling out

Naminator

Banned
I hope Digital Foundry does some tests to see if there were any performance updates that were rumored, I'm interested in seeing if there is actually any meaningful effect on the framerate.

I hope Digital Foundry does some tests to see if there were any performance updates that were rumored, I'm interested in seeing if there is actually any meaningful effect on the framerate.

I shouldn't work like that. I imagine developers will have to update the game themselves to take advantage of any additional power.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Dead Rising looks so much better from those pics. Be interested to see Killer Instinct as well. ^_^

Put it in sleep mode and wait, just wait, until it wake up by itself to turn off. Then turn it on and it will finish the install :)

I did that, already had mine on sleep mode, and I'm switching back and forth between power saver and that, but once I power it off, it never starts downloading...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wait, can somebody explain to me why Dead Rising 3 looks differently? What changed?

When upscaled from 720p, the console used to apply a "sharpen" filter-- I think Microsoft thought it would compensate for the lack of true 1080p. The sharpen filter didn't actually work and made all games that used it (and were sub-1080p) look super terrible.

Caayn

This is lies. You could play stuff like Rock Band with it, but it utterly destroys an awful lot of faster games.
Of course it's not something you're going to use for competitions. For me it's perfect. I don't notice the added latency and it saves a HDMI port on my TV.

When upscaled from 720p, the console used to apply a "sharpen" filter-- I think Microsoft thought it would compensate for the lack of true 1080p. The sharpen filter didn't actually work and made all games that used it (and were sub-1080p) look super terrible.

Think you are being kind with "super terrible"

Glad it's gone anyway

RoKKeR

Of course it's not something you're going to use for competitions. For me it's perfect. I don't notice the added latency and it saves a HDMI port on my TV.
Sharpening filter has been removed.

Oh they removed it? Damn, interesting. So this will have an effect on all sub-1080p games? Titanfall Beta? AC4?

Interesting!

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Still no update working for me.

Limited or Full Range? Full Range is broken on the console and crushes black for me.

For me it seems these are the options I could use. I wonder if Microsoft just offered Full Range for the TVs which cant set Low Blacks. My parents LCD doesn't have the option but when using Full Range on XB1 games look great otherwise it would look washed out grays.

• Limited on Xbox - Low Level Black on LED = Perfect Picture
  • Full Range on Xbox - Normal Level Black on LED = Perfect Picture
  • Full Range on Xbox - Low Level Black on LED = Crushed Blacks

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oh they removed it? Damn, interesting. So this will have an effect on all sub-1080p games? Titanfall Beta? AC4?

Interesting!

Some developers developed a custom scaling algorithm to get around it. Ryse had its own. I wonder, honestly, if it used some of the GPU power of the console (a limited percentage but still a percentage). Microsoft is probably trying to free up resources as much as possible so I imagine that aside from the fact that they absolutely had to fix this because it was BUSTED, it is a nice little boost to the dev community.

Yea, I'm gonna stick with it hasn't been fixed yet. I still don't see the differences other posters have seen. Maybe I am wrong and hopefully I am, but it looks the exact same to me and for them to not even mention it in the patch notes is curious as well.

Full Range, it's not crushed in DVI mode here.

Try limited and see if it's still crushed.

With HDMI that is.

Still no update working for me.

For me it seems these are the options I could use. I wonder if Microsoft just offered Full Range for the TVs which cant set Low Blacks. My parents LCD doesn't have the option but when using Full Range on XB1 games look great otherwise it would look washed out grays.

• Limited on Xbox - Low Level Black on LED = Perfect Picture
  • Full Range on Xbox - Normal Level Black on LED = Perfect Picture
  • Full Range on Xbox - Low Level Black on LED = Crushed Blacks

My TV supports full range but automatically changes the black levels based on the signal. The XB1 set to full range won't work correctly, though, so I have to set it to limited to work correctly. PS3 and PS4 both work fine in full range.

Ugh I really do not like them forcing me to see how much free space I have. I don't want to think about that stuff when I play video games. I'm okay with them letting micro managers drill down into that stuff, but I'd prefer to never think about available space. Too much AV nerd info. Give me a way to hide that info please.

I like the separation of apps games and queue though.

I would much rather they use that space to highlight achievements and challenges; you know something fun instead of managing storage space which is no longer necessary for most people.

Ugh I really do not like them forcing me to see how much free space I have. I don't want to think about that stuff when I play video games. I'm okay with them letting micro managers drill down into that stuff, but I'd prefer to never think about available space. Too much AV nerd info. Give me a way to hide that info please.

I like the separation of apps games and queue though.

I'm scared to see how much space I have left. LOL

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Killer Instinct :

0ce83a1c-4e72-465e-9733-d6cbe0cc4f2a.jpg

05a19faf-65df-4eb1-8a4b-d71151bc7fff.jpg

05605138-1f30-4624-90dd-5fb8aff9fd50.jpg

bd4df658-5e08-46e5-8b6e-7889c54849cd.jpg

838d3b3a-2dbc-4436-9e80-398a7f8d9958.jpg

ce5d9f2f-fe82-4d34-8f3b-c39201f08663.jpg

be7b1079-64d9-4c78-b9db-32c636e0dafa.jpg

Doodis

Does anyone have two controllers on at once? Just wondering if you get a battery indication for both. I suppose I'll find out later tonight when I get home.

Top Bottom