• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Hardware/UI Review Thread

SRTtoZ

Microsoft's PR nightmare was so bad, it not only drained the hype, it actually made people think the machine was worse than it actually is.

All points considered, PS4 and X1 are equally matched sans the price. They both have their strengths and weaknesses where you'd expect them from each company.

I fully anticipate MS selling a $350 Xbox One without Kinect and HDMI in. The OS will also by then be superior to PS4's given they are a software focused company.

I'm happy with my PS4. Though I wish Sony had better OS designers.

Sign me up. I'd be there day 1 with a giant fucking smile on my face @ $350 sans Kinect.

Wes

venison crêpe
Seems like it's getting better reviews than would've been predicted 6 months ago. From my brief glance seems ahead of the PS4 on launch lineup but pretty much even between the two otherwise. Set up nicely for an interesting first year.

Saying that, the lack of some of the live TV functionality (if I've understood the system correctly) at start in markets outside of the US seems like a reason for consumers to prefer Sony's offering if they're simply comparing pros/cons?

onQ123

With the hiding of the GPU specs how can we trust that MS hasn't lowered the clock of the GPU with the day one patch?

It seems that no one is allowed to talk about the GPU or they all are just trying to be deceitful.

Whatever the case is everyone involve should be ashamed of themselves it's sickening.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Surprised about the strict voice commands (some sounding like they were driven by business deals like the redbox one lol). The demos always made it look very conversational, but I guess they were controlled demos.

Also seems you can only have two apps open. Tbh, apart from snap, I think both systems here are roughly on par - PS4's double tap to toggle between game and app is a nice workaround for not being able to switch by voice (and hopefully they increase the dictionary for voice controls on PS4 to include apps)

Overall, it seems that reality has arrived and the Xbox is mortal just like the PS4 is, and both need a good 12 months to polish up and show us what they are really made of.

J-Rzez

Some of these scores seem so random compared to the actual reviews, Verge especially stands out. 6 for the design, same performance score as the PS4, etc.

It's certainly odd like I said that the console's bulletpoints are seemingly half way there's and worse, yet it's getting good scores? They're doing a real disservice to the consumer ultimately glazing over this stuff.

Breaking news 150% faster memory is only slightly faster.

Let alone hoping for any discussion on the differences in the GPUs and other hardware in the systems to offload things like streaming/etc. Not sure why it's so hard for reviewers to do their homework for their job. I was hoping "gaming journalism" would get better than last gen but instead it's getting worse.

When you remove the numbers from the reviews though they certainly read like this machine was to be released in holiday 2014. The PS4 is having it's issues right now, but this thing is in worse shape to have the feeling it was rushed out the door a year early.

GavinGT

Banned
Why god? Why? Who allows them to write this?
And why does he mentions a higher CPU in Xbox but not a much better GPU in the PS4.

And the memory is slightly slower? Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Its 2,5 faster!

Not sure where you're reading this from, but that exact text was read aloud on the Gamespot livestream. They cut away to a video of some Australian girl talking. And the very next sentence was something like, "Though both consoles have AMD Radeon GPUS, PS4 has the leg-up with 18 cores versus 12 cores for the Xbox One."

redwolflim

Neo Member
Australia review:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/techn...box-one-worth-it/story-fnjwmj0x-1226764503251

TL;DR
XBOX ONE TOP FEATURES

-Kinect 2.0 movement and voice-sensing unit bundled with the console

-Next-generation graphics delivered by a powerful eight-core AMD chip and 853 MHz graphics unit

-Apps like Kinect Fitness included in the package

-Voice commands control many of its features, including pausing and sharing game content

-Ability to play free or pay TV through the console

DRAWBACKS

-No Australian electronic program guide for use with voice commands

-Not as many apps in Australia as the US yet

-Slightly lower graphics performance than the PS4

-Heavier and bulkier than its rivals

-No major controller revamp

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
With the hiding of the GPU specs how can we trust that MS hasn't lowered the clock of the GPU with the day one patch?

It seems that no one is allowed to talk about the GPU or they all are just trying to be deceitful.

Whatever the case is everyone involve should be ashamed of themselves it's sickening.

I agree, they've clearly been told not to mention the GPU. And here we were thinking this gen would be judged on equal terms.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
40db in idle seems a bit loud. When you're using the machine that'd be more than fine, but if you are watching Tv through it, it'll be like that throughout the day, and it might be noticable enough (eg in the evening) to be a bit irritating.

foamdino

Interesting that no-one has mentioned this yet:
"an Xbox One cold boot takes a remarkable one minute, eight seconds to complete (power-up from standby is a rather more sane 18 seconds)"

That's pretty slow from cold boot - although most people will leave it on standby - it suggests that the HD is fairly slow or running in a power saving mode.

Tsundere

Banned
Australia review:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/techn...box-one-worth-it/story-fnjwmj0x-1226764503251

TL;DR
XBOX ONE TOP FEATURES

-Kinect 2.0 movement and voice-sensing unit bundled with the console

-Next-generation graphics delivered by a powerful eight-core AMD chip and 853 MHz graphics unit

-Apps like Kinect Fitness included in the package

-Voice commands control many of its features, including pausing and sharing game content

-Ability to play free or pay TV through the console

DRAWBACKS

-No Australian electronic program guide for use with voice commands

-Not as many apps in Australia as the US yet

-Slightly lower graphics performance than the PS4

-Heavier and bulkier than its rivals

-No major controller revamp

Fitness is only available free to Gold subscribers for a year (starting at launch, not from purchase) though.

Biker19

Banned
That's the best summary of the situation I've seen and mirrors my feelings. Sony did an wonderful job creating an amazing gaming system at an awesome price that's sure to be supported by some of the best games. That's a great deal for gamers. I can fully understand why most are in that camp. Years ago, I would be there too.

However, I'm past those years. Been around long enough to have enjoyed my share of game consoles. I'm ready for something that aims toward the future and is willing to gamble at being revolutionary. For as amazing as the PS4 is, it's playing it safe. It's more of what we've already gotten only done much better. It's a PS3 on steroids and that's a great thing. That's exactly what many core gamers want and what will serve them best.

But what intrigues me at this point is something that is willing to take risks and push this industry forward. Three OS's, snapping, cloud, kinect, hdmi input, DVR, and IR blasting for full living room home theater control. Maybe those innovations pay off and become new standards for all consoles. Or maybe they fizzle and die. That's what's so exciting about it.

There are plenty of devices that's already taken over the living room by millions (if not billions) of people (such as Apple TV, Roku, Computer Tablets, etc.), especially if they don't care about gaming. And they don't have to worry about paying subscriptions just to access a lot of apps.

Typomancer

Neo Member
This is the UI that people claim is objectively superior to the PS4 UI?

ku-xlarge.gif

It's full of squares and transition animations.

Such a terrible UI. Metro UI (I refuse to call it “Modern”) is just a mess. They took the concept of the grid way too literally and everything Microsoft touches with their tiled interface turns into a confusing, slow, and repetitious mosaic instead of an ordered system that is clear and fast.

I’m surprised no review outlet seems to be making a big deal about the irreplaceable/non-upgradeable internal HDD. So bad. You can use an external HDD but I think that’s entirely cumbersome/tacky and does very little to alleviate the fact that you’re going to have an awful time if the internal HDD dies (even more bizarre if it’s true that there’s no way to tell how much of the drive is being used).

SRTtoZ

Interesting that no-one has mentioned this yet:
"an Xbox One cold boot takes a remarkable one minute, eight seconds to complete (power-up from standby is a rather more sane 18 seconds)"

That's pretty slow from cold boot - although most people will leave it on standby - it suggests that the HD is fairly slow or running in a power saving mode.

I just timed the PS4 @ 21 seconds, cold boot. A minute seems a tad bit crazy but like you said, maybe its designed for standby.

RayMaker

Banned
I think the bigger point (and question) is why it works so well in some cases but not in others. Is it something to do with differences in OS version (I don't think so, but possible)? Is it due to one Kinect having more time to learn the user's voice? Is it due to timing differences (I'm not sure, the guy in the Gizmodo video seems to be pacing commands similarly to cases where it isn't working as well)?

What's the root issue here? Would be nice if there was some clarification from someone at MS (doubt we'll get that), but without it I guess we'll just have to wait until the thing launches.

It's just confusing to me why there is such a disparity and large variation in user experience. There has to be something that can explain the differences.

The main issue I think, is it has a bit of a learning curve like google voice, you have to know when to speak and when not to.Also many of the reviews have multiple ppl talking and them not knowing the system right. I'am sure after a few days of using the X1 the voice commands will work well because people will know how to use them correctly.

Nozem

eurogamer said:
Functionality over form, then, and the Xbox One certainly has the heft of functionality all over it. To all intents and purposes, this is a full-fledged PC in a box: an Xbox One cold boot takes a remarkable one minute, eight seconds to complete (power-up from standby is a rather more sane 18 seconds), and during this time a refined, console version of the Windows 8 interface is loaded into memory.

What? That is really long. What are the PS4 boot times?

edit: nevermind, answered above.

I guess it's fair to grade it mostly on its media function but what about the games? Why are no points or cons listing those as an downside? It was Microsoft that was still saying that it's a game console first, built for gamers by gamers and all that jazz. Reading these reviews they mostly speak about other things but games.

ku-xlarge.gif

It's not just that. it's all the sub menus, the built in apps, the system popups, etc.. the whole package. plus that GIF shows about 15 pinned things. you don't have to have that many.

Just watched the gamespot stream. Wow voice recognition is utter shit. The guy was repeating commands like 4 times. Pressing buttons is so much quicker and easier is the takeaway form that video.

demigod

Yeah it's pretty clear at this point that most of the games press is fucking clueless when it comes to hardware. Which is sad because they end up misinforming their readers.

If you think the gaming press is clueless, I have a bridge to sell to you. That's exactly what they are trying to do, misinform and deceive their readers. Who do you think their advertisers are?

Matriox

There are plenty of devices that's already taken over the living room by millions (if not billions) of people (such as Tablets, Apple TV, Roku, etc.), especially if they don't care about gaming.

This is my issue with the Xbox One. I don't have cable and use Netflix/Amazon/Hulu for content, puchase newly broadcasted shows that i'm interested in by iTunes, and I'm set for TV based content. I don't want to watch Netflix while I play a game because I want to pay attention to either whats happening in game, or whats happening on the show.

This leaves me with motion gaming and voice commands that differs itself from the PS4. Motion gaming has a long way to go for me, and for me to want it, the game needs to be BETTER because its motion based and a better experience than with a controller/M&KB. Voice commands that other companies are using are meh at best and I was under the impression that the xbox one would be the new standard of voice commands (maybe I'm at fault for being under this impression). This console is obviously not for me, and some folks are genuinely excited about it, but its just that, not for me.

zpiders

One quite massive drawback that I don't think any reviewers have mentioned is the fact that almost all its media features are behind a paywall. Thats quite a big drawback for a lot of people who mainly want it as a media device and game on it occasionall.

Matriox

Messed up my edit for previous post: The device will get better, there's no doubt about that. As of right now this isn't offering anything I don't already have for my household.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think both systems would have been better served launching next year, but the issues will surely be cleaned up as we go along. Whatever. It is what it is and I want them both. Xbox One first, though.

Fuck that. We've had a LONG generation, and don't we mostly want to play games? We can work around a few UI hiccups while they fix them, that's what early adopters do. Both machines are still significant improvements over their predecessors just from fast app switching and background installing

hawk2025

The main issue I think, is it has a bit of a learning curve like google voice, you have to know when to speak and when not to.Also many of the reviews have multiple ppl talking and them not knowing the system right. I'am sure after a few days of using the X1 the voice commands will work well because people will know how to use them correctly.

Google Voice doesn't have a learning curve.

This is worlds apart from Google Voice.

Do keep in mind that as per Adam Sessler, reviewers have had the console for over a week.

demigod

ku-xlarge.gif

Yeah it's funny, they obviously don't have Windows 8. I bought a laptop this year and got rid of that shit(win 8 UI) from day 1.

I have a stupid question.

Why are all of these reviews comparing CPU speeds? I thought the ps4 CPU speed wasn't official with rumors estimating the final clock at 1.8.

Meanwhile gpus aren't mentioned. What is going on here? Why mention CPU speeds at all when one isn't official while neglecting to mention GPU speeds when both are official. Can someone explain this to me.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That Kotaku review is quite rough. Without even touching on competitive shortcomings, mostly.

The whole 'Xbox on' thing just toggling the power button on your tv whether it's on or off is funny.

Yondy604

Banned
Wait wait wait a second, the xbox 1 does not have a stream Twitch tv type option with it's console?.

Please tell me this is a joke?

do they have to repeat the GPU specs? it was already announced some months back it had been tweaked by a few ghzs, by an official PR statement. if the press doesn't comment on that, does it make it look suspicious? come on

btw, did PS4 reviews talked about the final PS4 CPU specs? I'm just asking because I don't know

USC-fan

Banned
My fastest Standby to Menu was 5~ seconds using a 1TB SSHD (was probably cached onto the SSD portion that attempt).

Just now I tested both scenarios:
- Cold boot: 15 seconds
- Standby: 11 seconds

Yeah no ways those number in that chart are correct. Unless he not auto login.

Rourkey

forbes said:
The verdict. A new console may live or die based on its initial games, and here is where the Xbox One trumps the PlayStation 4. Both Ryse and Forza Motorsport are the kind of graphical showcases that should move consoles throughout the holiday season.

Microsoft and Sony are positioning their consoles as multi-purpose entertainment hubs for the living room, and some consumers may make their decision simply based on price. (After all, the PlayStation 4 is $100 less.) But if Microsoft can iron out some performance quirks around voice recognition and Snap, the decision won't be too hard: it's far easier to glimpse the future potential in the Xbox One, starting with 10 seconds of time and the simple two-word voice command: "Xbox on."

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/11/20/xbox-one-review/

HariKari

So a few hiccups but overall it's scoring slightly better than ps4? Well done MS. I can't wait

It should be noted that the main 'edge' given to the XB1 won't be available to people outside of North America. And it's really not hard to see the press being dishonest about the specs. Last gen was close. This one? Not so much.

It's really not in anyones' best interests, personally or financially, to poopoo half of the console market. No surprise here.

I really couldn't care less about Kinect or whatever TV functionality the XB1 has over the PS4. That's my mindset as a potential customer. So take that away and it's not a close competition, for me. Even if I had some sort of blind hatred for Sony, it would be hard to justify the XB1 as the better gaming box. Your mileage may vary.

madmackem

So i guess no one will be hooking up gaming machines to the hdmi in, eurogamer saying there was noticeable lag means it would be unusable for games.

Yondy604

Banned
Shit, some people are really catching feelings in here.

Sorry the One didn't crash and burn like you wanted it to guys.

I don't think anybody said it would crash and burn, I actually think the reviews have been pretty accurate with predictions, only the awful voice recognition is the shocker.

Top Bottom