• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One has Bluray drive, 8GB ram, 8 core CPU 500GB HDD, 3 Operating systems

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's no further tech detail in the first press release MS has put out, at least.

This is almost Nintendo levels of spec-vagueness. I think that says a lot, especially when what is confirmed lines up exactly with leaks.

Also, 40nm? Is that not a bit strange? I thought these were targeting 28nm (?) Maybe the eSRAM stuff isn't ready for 28nm?

8gb
5 billion transistors.

Very vague, I think it will pretty much conform to the rumoured specs. Honestly, funny to give transistors as a major part of the specs. I guess they had one aspect they trumpet over PS4 and decided to put that down. If they were ahead in flops they would have put that rather than transistors I reckon

That does makes me wonder where are all those transistors. PS4 was 3 billion or something.

Durante

All hardware leaks basically confirmed true.
Yeah, unless new information is released at E3 I think that's almost certain. Including the stuff about the GPU/memory subsystem which was not officially confirmed -- I believe that if it was better than the leak they'd mention that.

PS4 ~3 billion transistors
HD 7970 4 billion
Xbox One ~ 5 billion

Whatever that means.
It means it has a significant amount of embedded memory - not exactly news to anyone who read the leaks.

McHuj

There's no way they made a 40nm 5B APU. I think that's just an error in the article. A 5B chip in 40nm would be north of 600mm.

lherre

Accurate
20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-014-660x440.jpg

20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-015-660x440.jpg

It appears the cooling system is like the slim x360.

JaggedSac

Wired said:
Perhaps most intriguing, however, is that Xbox One gives game developers the ability to access Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing platform. That leads to a few obvious and immediate applications: All your downloaded and installed games and achievements are synced to the cloud and can be accessed and played without interruption on any Xbox One you sign in to; stable, dedicated servers for every multiplayer game rather than the notoriously fragile practice of hosting matches on one participant’s console; even multiplayer matches that can grow to 64, even 128 participants, rather than the usual limit of 16 or 32.

Wired is claiming MS is letting devs host matches in their cloud platform now, wonder if that is speculation or legit.

Would the ps4 being more powerfull matter if the xbox one was say $100 cheaper? That 8 gigs gddr5 can be awfully expensive to produce.

netBuff

Denial? wut?

True, but they can't be using DDR3 as VRAM, it's far, far, far too slow for it.

Yes. Could be for better yields maybe.

They can and they will, the leaks (now seemingly true) pretty much confirm this: The PS4 is going to have a significantly more powerful GPU (+50%) as well as a much more potent RAM solution (GDDR5).

This is the truth, everything else is denial.

OP is missing the most important spec: 5 billion transistors!
I think it essentially confirms a less powerful box - if they were pushing more power they would have crowed about it.

Interfectum

cant wait to see brave 3rd parties come out and compare the two systems side by side. we could easily have another PS2/Xbox situation (but in reverse)

Eric_S

I just read a live blog and didn't listen in live, but there there was a mention about cod doing four more calculations per screen? If that is true(?) then that (assuming an identical framerate) would be in line with the 1.2 tflop rumor.

8 gbs of ancient ram? Going with PS4 next gen. Not even going to bother with the sexbox this time around. And that's after having an original sexbox and a sexbot 360. But after the shitty Thompson drives, the red rings, and them trying to take my FREEDOMS. I'm done with Microsoft. I don't care for Halo or Forza and their disinterest in my hobby makes me an unwanted consumer.

Though if they get Flight Sim back and Age of Empires 4 I may be interested yet again.

The 3 OS's basically confirm it being an RAM hog.

That 3GB of ram for the OS seems very plausible now.

Also, mods locked my eat crow thread even though I made one for PS4 after that was revealed.

Top Bottom