• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One is REQUIRED to be online at least once every 24 hours.

lenovox1

When I moved house back in January, it took 3 weeks for Sky to set up our broadband.

Lets say I had an xbox one at that point. For those three weeks, it would have been a goddamn useless paperweight.

THAT is the issue. I'm not ever buying it and I'm astounded that some people still intend to.

I, mean, you could still play Blu-rays on the thing. Isn't Microsoft sweet like that?

Now User A has ... Skyrim. He goes to User B and installs the game to Console B with his own account. Now User B disables the internet connection and plays Skyrim with User A's account for weeks on end, enjoying the game for free with no money spent on it while User A could also be playing Skyrim on his console while logged in online.

After user A purchased a legitimate copy of Skyrim, the publisher's interest in that copy is exhausted, and A may come to any agreement for use of that copy with B that he wishes. Microsoft or any publisher has no right to interpose in the use of that copy between A and B.

I'm still waiting for an answer to the first reply. Did I miss something? Will our families explode if we don't authenticate?
Bring up the Internet Explorer app on your Xbox.

Now sign out of gold, or pull the internet cable out of it.

Thats what will happen.

Microsoft or any publisher has no right to interpose in the use of that copy between A and B.
But the publishers really, really want to.

Cartman86

Banned
You could have logged in on another box with your account and activated the game there. If this console were to stay offline you could keep the sold game on it.

You have to be online (like the 360) if you play your game on someone elses console no? Only that first box can be played "offline".

So that you can't install the game and then give the DVD to your buddy for him to use it since then you'd both be able to play the game at the same time. That way you also can't account share.

Above response.

I'm wondering if it's because of this

"We will have a system where you can take that digital content and trade a previously played game at a retail store," Harrison said. "We're not announcing the details of that today, but we will have announced in due course."

Trading in digital content to a real store. This might require a 24 hour check.

Cartman86

Banned
Since I can't post a thread due to my junior member status, here is the full breakdown + some theory filling in the gaps as to what MS has announced in regards to console operation so far.

Games have mandatory installation and can't be played off discs. Whenever a game disc is inserted and the game is not installed, an Xbox Live connection is required to initialize the install with a one-use key. On the first console you install the game on (main console that is associated with your account) the game will work for any user, and can be played without a disc in the console.

If the game disc is put in a console not mainly associated with your account, the game's install will be a limited one (where only your account is allowed to use it). If another user wants to play the game, they will be required to connect to Xbox Live and pay a fee (which is full price right now according to a statement). If the fee is paid, it becomes available to all users on the console.

Now for the second part. Everytime you log into your account, all the game licenses you have get activated for the console you're playing on (if this is your main console, it allows the game to be played by anyone, if it another, the license only applies to your account). This in turn sends out a deactivate license command to whichever other console had an active license for your games. So if that console happens to be connected to Xbox Live for a bit with whichever account, the games that are licensed to you will stop working right away.

Is this how the 360 works? My understanding is that you could delete your Live profile (or not sign in) on that original box and everyone could still have access. That box is forever whitelisted (unless you do a full license transfer that is allowed once every 6 months). Why not just do this?

Back to a console with an activated license. Once you disconnect from Xbox Live, a 24 hour timer starts on the game's license validity on that console. Once the license is up, you will be locked out of playing the game until you log back into Xbox Live with your account which will bring the licenses back to active status.

This is done by MS to prevent this type of scenario (with their game installation licenses):

Take a game like Skyrim which can take days if not weeks to complete and can be played completely offline for that amount of time.

Now User A has the license to Skyrim. He goes to User B and installs the game to Console B with his own account. Now User B disables the internet connection and plays Skyrim with User A's account for weeks on end, enjoying the game for free with no money spent on it while User A could also be playing Skyrim on his console while logged in online.

The only thing User B misses out on is achievements on his own account, but many people would not mind not getting achievements on their own account if they got to play games for free.

Anyways, with this 24 hour requirement. User B would only have a 24 hour period (rather than an infinite amount of time) to play Skyrim even while his Xbox was in complete offline mode and he was using User A's account offline.

Basically, pursuing disc-free operation has led to the creation of this crappy requirement.

Edit: And now I'm a member, LOL.

On 360 you couldn't do this because User A's account would need to be online at all times to play that game on this foreign console. In fact User B could use their own account to get achievement if they signed into Player slot 1 and User A into Player slot 2. But User A would need to be online still. Which would mean that the second User A went home and signed into their own original Xbox User A's account located on User B's Xbox would be signed out and the game would stop.

35023_street_fighah.gif

Hell yeah, my entire day has been spent on GAF since the 10am pst reveal conference, it just keeps getting better and better... er worse-er.

somebody should edit this gif to accommodate with the 24 hour timing out.

Is this how the 360 works? My understanding is that you could delete your Live profile (or not sign in) on that original box and everyone could still have access. That box is forever whitelisted (unless you do a full license transfer that is allowed once every 6 months). Why not just do this?
That's my problem with his theory, Harrison already confirmed that other accounts on the console the game was initially registered can play the game, implying that scenario is still valid.

Cartman86

Banned
Considering their backpedaling on calling it a "potential scenario" to polygon I wouldn't be surprised if this aspect of it gets thrown out.

Why would MS do this, especially after the Simcity fiasco? Did EA just make enough money and think that people would be okay with more, so Microsoft's gonna do the same?

mozfan12

Banned
This is the dealbreaker for me. I'm digging some of the things about the new Xbox, I actually find it smart that they are veering out to different avenues, even if its not something that directly appeals to gamers but this type of DRM has not worked in any fashion. Forget about selling your console in the vast majority of the world, and even alienating a large part of your core audience here in the states. I can't believe they were so thick headed to do this.

Satchel

Banned
I would not be surprised if I misunderstand considering today.

I THINK the suggestion, is that you can buy the game, install it, then trade that game and still have it on your drive?

Which is kinda cool actually. But I could be wrong because that would mean you own the game forever so that can't be right.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
What happens if you can't sign on within 24 hours?

Tentacles emerge from within the system, and begin penetrating your anal cavity.
It all plays out like some Japanese hentai, which I'm sure will be available day one.

Top Bottom