• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One is REQUIRED to be online at least once every 24 hours.

ixk3PMitO9BC7.gif

Lol! This is perfect.

Skyzard

Banned
I just caught up a bit.. says it's not confirmed.

What is confirmed is no backwards compatibility, are they using a different architecture? :S

quest

Not Banned from OT
Does average/majority consumer care?

Remember that GAF isn't a good indicator of general gaming public

If the casual/average gamer did not care about used games. Gamestop would of been dead long ago. So I would say yes they care a great deal about used games.

Quasar

The portion that don't have their consoles connected to the internet would. And doesn't the 360 have like a third of their consoles not connected? And I imagine the same is true of the PS3.

Satchel

Banned

Word of myth will spread. This console may be the exception to the rule. Joe six pack will inevitably find out that they can't play used games, can't borrow or lend games and they will not be happy.

Pennywise

You can be sure about that.
Especially parts of Europe are pretty conservative over these things.

The Japanese used market was mentioned as well.

NA is a whole different topic I can't argue over since I don't know about the publicity there.

Steroyd

Well, at least it doesn't require a persistant connection all the time.

Plus it answers the question of what would happen if you sold your game and how the game would deactivate on the system.

Picobrain

Banned
I said it before and I am saying it again, I WILL NOT buy a console (I don't care is it PS4, Xbox or Nintendo) if they force me to be online so I can play single player games period.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
So when do we find out about changes, if any, to Gold?

I'm assuming a price increase. You know, because reasons.

At this point I assume an increase in price due to more services, a complete elimination of Silver/Free, and a new Platinum level to allow those share features.

Revan

So what exactly happens if it doesn't connect after 24 hours?

Like, say someone goes on vacation, and for the sake of keep power costs low the unplug the console (or power bar that it and thier TV/DVD/Cable Box/etc are plugged into) - the come back after a week and....?

EDIT - or say you are on vacation and something kills the internet access in your area for 3 days due to act of god or whatever and the console cannot connect while in "sleep mode" What happens?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
So what exactly happens if it doesn't connect after 24 hours?

Like, say someone goes on vacation, and for the sake of keep power costs low the unplug the console (or power bar that it and thier TV/DVD/Cable Box/etc are plugged into) - the come back after a week and....?

EDIT - or say you are on vacation and something kills the internet access in your area for 3 days due to act of god or whatever and the console cannot connect while in "sleep mode" What happens?

You simply can't play the game until you connect online and authorise your titles again.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
We were talking about "trips". I not really out overseas employment as a "trip". Trip implies recreation.

It's unfortunate for people with no Internet connections, sure.
Seriously, go read that thread I linked earlier. It's a real eye opener as to how troops on deployment use consoles on their downtime like everyone else.

You don't think that they're actually working/on patrol 24hrs a day, do you?

We know that a game can be played by all the accounts on the console it's registered on, and can be installed and played on a console other than the one it was registered on as long as an account from the first console is logged in, but do we know which account or accounts from the original can be "lent" to another console? Is there a master account with that ability, or can any of the accounts on the first console be used? What if another account is made on the first console after the game is registered; can it then be used to play the game on another console as well?

The bolded stuck out to me,

From the kotaku article cited in the op:

"There are many devices in your life that require the Internet to function," he said. "Xbox One is no different in that it requires, at some point in the beginning and at various times through its on state, to connect to our cloud and to our Internet. That is to deliver Xbox Live functionality, that is to deliver download content to you, that is to deliver some of the innovations around TV and entertainment that we showed today. But it doesn’t require it to be online all the time."

I'm assuming "deliver download content" means/includes ads for your dashboard that are visible even when then console is not online.

Fredrik

Reminds me of what happened to me after my first 360 broke, I had to be online to get full access to my 50 or so XBLA games, every game turned into trial versions when I was offline.

Almost made me stop buying XBLA games. It was fixed later on though. But right now I can't say that Xbox One sounds all that interesting because of this issue. I want to own my games even if the internet is down or years from now if they shut down the servers.

ruh roh? I'm moving house soon, leaving me in a position I'm sure many will be in - without internet. The time I could be without internet could be... a month, I dunno? So for the time i would be without internet, I would be unable to play games? I think not, back to sony I go Mr. Microsoft.

Reminds me of what happened to me after my first 360 broke, I had to be online to get full access to my 50 or so XBLA games, every game turned into trial versions when I was offline.

Almost made me stop buying XBLA games. It was fixed later on though. But right now I can't say that Xbox One sounds all that interesting because of this issue. I want to own my games even if the internet is down or years from now if they shut down the servers.
Don't worry, with Xbox One you won't have to worry about that since you can't play your current XBLA games on it at all!

MIMIC

Banned
Me: What?

LOL? WHAT?

WHAT? For real?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (for a full minute)

So what happens if you don't sign in? They brick your console or something?

Really, is this actually true?

micah

This is "One" console I can live without. I was really hoping for "Infinity" or whatever it was. They need to really define what happens when you don't login with the 24 hour period.

I wonder if the hardware pirates will figure out a work-around.

Top Bottom