• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One March Update Impressions Thread [Now Available]

Lucifon

All of this stuff sounds great, these niggles were really wearing down the experience for me. Can't wait for the update to hit. That said it really does feel like the console is exiting beta, so many stupid issues which it should never have launched with.

glad to see the hand cursor being disabled when watching video. I was watching something the other day and Kinect decided while i was eating that my hand wanted it to advance the film 45 minutes.

Also, CoD is a fucking chore to play after playing Titanfall. UGH it's so slow.

think that felt slow? Try going back to KZSF. That game makes up for lack of auto-aim by making people's top running speed similar to your grandmother's. Not hard to kill without autoaim when everyone moves like they need a walking cane. 11th can't get here fast enough.

EDIT: Also, I fucking LOVE being able to change the volume more in the settings when saying Xbox. volume up/down.

how is this done?

nm, i see the pic.

Prine

Banned
This proves to me how quickly they can release and deploy, it's nothing like the 360 days where this type of update would happen rarely. Quick and vast. I reckon we'll get another post e3 conference. They'll probably announce a bunch of partners (sky app please!).

This proves to me how quickly they can release and deploy, it's nothing like the 360 days where this type of update would happen rarely. Quick and vast. I reckon we'll get another post e3 conference. They'll probably announce a bunch of partners (sky app please!).

Same. I would KILL for a Plex app. Because of no Plex, I still have to have my Roku box hooked up and still change inputs on my TV. The people at Plex said it's too expensive to put it on Xbox but that's a lame excuse if you ask me. It's already on pleanty of devices and you have to pay for most of them. I would even pay $20 for a Plex on Xbox One app. If I want the Xbox One to truly be the all-in-one box, then it NEEDS Plex.

(I know you can kind of get it on Internet Explorer, but I hate using the cursor and only 1/3 to 1/2 of the movies on my server work.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!

I'd love a sky app. Don't think Sky are up for it though.

Prine

Banned
I'd love a sky app. Don't think Sky are up for it though.
Really? I was under the impression Sky didn't want to use the integrated TV stuff, but an app to stream sky programs wasn't out of the question.

And yes, Plex app is a must! I have it on my Samsung smart TV, but I'd rather hop to it by saying "Xbox, go to Plex"

Ade

The Sky forums are full of people begging for a Sky App, the responses tends to be "Thats not currently part of our strategy, we're focusing on apps to deliver a Sky experience where a Sky Box is impractical, such as on mobile devices"

The only reason my 360 is on HDMI in is to continue using the Sky app :/

Friction

Sticks should be good as of the Feb update, automatically. If there's a new USB-required update, then that's for something else.

I didn't know the Feb update had the changes to the sticks. I thought that would be in the March one. Do I need to plug my controller via usb to get updated?

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Really? I was under the impression Sky didn't want to use the integrated TV stuff, but an app to stream sky programs wasn't out of the question.

And yes, Plex app is a must! I have it on my Samsung smart TV, but I'd rather hop to it by saying "Xbox, go to Plex"

A Sky Now app they will be fine with, a Sky Go app not so much. They don't want to give people an easy way to watch their channels for free on a big tv.

I think it may only be on 360 as part of a deal for them to use silverlight.

Ade

I didn't know the Feb update had the changes to the sticks. I thought that would be in the March one. Do I need to plug my controller via usb to get updated?

Stick update happened automagically.

The only cable based update you need to do is in the March dash and its purely for the Headset Adaptor, its in the settings menu.

Friction

Stick update happened automagically.

The only cable based update you need to do is in the March dash and its purely for the Headset Adaptor, its in the settings menu.

Thank you for the clarification. Didn't get what auto meant. Magically made it clear. :p

LTWheels

I understand that the reason behind this is that everything is it's own separate app instead of like it is on the 360, ps3/4.

It allows them to do quick iterations without fears of breaking the underlying operating system.

stitch512

Banned
Great update, Dolby Digital is BACK!!! The friends list is no longer a maze and the party system looks like it may actually work. I also update my controller but I have NFI what the update was for.

Now if only I actually knew somebody else on my list who also had the update. Its going to be a party free week for me lol.

One major criticism I have still is that when I opened up a party and joined a BF4 game, it still came up with the little pop up saying 'Game found for your party' and does not go away until you open it. That should not come up until you are invited to a game, seems the party system still does it automatically.

danwarb

A simple thing like the 50Hz for TV check box makes all the difference. I can happily leave it plugged in to the X1 now, for everyone to use.

Also setting volume up/down amount for the voice command.

p3tran

Banned
so, I have a problem....

I updated my controller, BUT I HAVE NO TITANFALL to test it with!!

how about doing something for this microsoft??!

:D

Will there be an online notification for when my friends come on? I don't use my xb1 for watching tv so the frequent sign ins won't bother me plus they could always toggle it.

Ade

so, I have a problem....

I updated my controller, BUT I HAVE NO TITANFALL to test it with!!

how about doing something for this microsoft??!

:D

The controller update is purely for the headset, the deadzone changes came out before the Titanfall beta, so you got to test them then :p

Bgamer90

Banned
Just got it. Really like the organization in the friends app. Much better now.

And yeah, the new changes to "Xbox Volume Up/Down" are good -- more convenient instead of having to say it multiple times.

I never had problems with the hand gestures coming up when watching video on the Xbox One but it was a problem for me with the Xbox 360. Nice to see that they added that in either way though.

But yeah, a very good update overall. Need to try out the new party system.

Not sure if anyone else had this problem...but I'm wondering if the update has resolved it.

If my Bravia TV is already on and I then start the Xbox One, it turns the TV off as part of the start-up process. It's seemingly not clever enough to check if it's on or not.

And disabling of hand gestures is excellent, me and my partner were watching Netflix last night and she was doing some colouring in. The hand was going nuts on-screen.

Not sure if anyone else had this problem...but I'm wondering if the update has resolved it.

If my Bravia TV is already on and I then start the Xbox One, it turns the TV off as part of the start-up process. It's seemingly not clever enough to check if it's on or not.

Course not. Its just an IR command for power. It has no idea if your TV is on, off, unplugged or on fire.

Daffy Duck

Optical Out is working for me, the audio on Battlefield 4 now through my A40's is simply amazing! Just like being there.

For this reason I am over the moon with the update.

Shamelessly stealing these from Reddit, but both of these look like nice features.

Ability to change Kinect to go in multiple increments for volume control

Ability to disable Kinect gestures when watching video

The Kinect gestures were never a huge problem, but every now and then when someone leaned over to get a drink on the table it would think they were trying to do something, so I'll be using that feature for sure.

This will make a lot of people very happy.

m23

One major criticism I have still is that when I opened up a party and joined a BF4 game, it still came up with the little pop up saying 'Game found for your party' and does not go away until you open it. That should not come up until you are invited to a game, seems the party system still does it automatically.

You don't need to open it. Just say Xbox Decline and the notification will go away.

JaggedSac

As a side note, I just said "XBox Turn On" and it worked. Since when has it worked with that? I said it then remembered that was wrong but it turned on anyway.

styl3s

As a side note, I just said "XBox Turn On" and it worked. Since when has it worked with that? I said it then remembered that was wrong but it turned on anyway.
It's always turned on when you said xbox turn on"

That's how i always turn it on when i want to use it.

Top Bottom