• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One March Update Impressions Thread [Now Available]

muzzymate

If my Bravia TV is already on and I then start the Xbox One, it turns the TV off as part of the start-up process. It's seemingly not clever enough to check if it's on or not.

Course not. Its just an IR command for power. It has no idea if your TV is on, off, unplugged or on fire.

Except some TVs and receivers have discrete power IR commands. My Yamaha receiver does, my TV does not. So no matter what power state my TV and receiver are in when I power on the console, my receiver always stays powered on while my TV will simply switch power states (on to off or off to on). Depending on your Sony Bravia TV @Opus, this may or may not be an enhancement that could be made in the future for you.

I wish Microsoft would just implement HDMI-CEC on the One so this wouldn't be a problem for TVs that support it (most HDMI-CECs have discrete power on and power off commands). Also gets around IR blasters which are just gross technologically.

outsida

I really like the way MS can update this system without having to roll out a big once or twice a year update. This is a good step in the right direction for getting this system where it needs to be.

I'm liking the improvements so far. The UI itself just feels much faster than it did with the February patch. Also, no more black screen with audio (or at least I haven't experienced it yet). Overall very pleased with it.

Course not. Its just an IR command for power. It has no idea if your TV is on, off, unplugged or on fire.

On my harmony, the remote can send to my devices either discrete "power on/power off" commands, or a "power toggle" command. Once I tweaked my remote to do the discrete commands, my harmony is more reliable in these situations.

I would think MS can eventually do the same with the Kinect. If it sends "power on" to the tv when I say "Xbox on", then the TV's current state wouldn't matter and everything would work.

But it seems like they just do "power toggle" now :/

Edit: beaten. And I guess it could depend on the device as well (I know for sure mines can support discrete commands though, due to the harmony setup)

A simple thing like the 50Hz for TV check box makes all the difference. I can happily leave it plugged in to the X1 now, for everyone to use.

Also setting volume up/down amount for the voice command.
Have you tested how it works?
How is it in snap vs full screen modes?

Dlacy13g

Shamelessly stealing these from Reddit, but both of these look like nice features.

Ability to change Kinect to go in multiple increments for volume control

Ability to disable Kinect gestures when watching video

The Kinect gestures were never a huge problem, but every now and then when someone leaned over to get a drink on the table it would think they were trying to do something, so I'll be using that feature for sure.

I am still a TV watcher so I am incredibly happy they listened about the hand gestures during video playback. It was happening just enough to get really annoying for me. Now...with it off I am 100% in digging the integration.

The only last step they need for me is to be able to get access to my DVR content through voice. Lets hope that is something that can come eventually.

Dlacy13g

On my harmony, the remote can send to my devices either discrete "power on/power off" commands, or a "power toggle" command. Once I tweaked my remote to do the discrete commands, my harmony is more reliable in these situations.

I would think MS can eventually do the same with the Kinect. If it sends "power on" to the tv when I say "Xbox on", then the TV's current state wouldn't matter and everything would work.

But it seems like they just do "power toggle" now :/

Edit: beaten. And I guess it could depend on the device as well (I know for sure mines can support discrete commands though, due to the harmony setup)

I have my Harmony One remote set up to only power on the Xbox One but still control my DVR box and certain Xbox One features as well as use the volume from my sound bar . the Xbox One is set to power on all other devices and I can still use voice commands for all elements if desired.

The Flash

Banned
OP has been updated to include changes that have made. If something is missing from any of these lists, please leave a comment or send me a PM

m23

Can someone confirm that you can find matches with other people in games like KI/Ryse while speaking to your friends in party? That is one of the huge issues I have with the party system.

Kinect seems much more responsive for me since the update. It wasn't particularly slow but it wouldn't always sign me in straight away (partly to do with Kinect being on my desk and things being in the way) but since getting the update, instant.

Voice commands responding a little bit better even when I'm speaking quieter (people in bed etc)

Xone9

Banned
both dts and dolby work for me, but dts sounds better and is synced perfect, but dolby has a lag (that im sure i can fix in my receiver).

Onkyo receiver

I just got the update downloaded and installed. Only skimmed through it so far but everything seems very solid. Like February, it's all stuff that should have been there from the start but it's there now and that's what matters.

BondFancy

My tv is giving me so many issues with the tv commands, it randomly accepts the "xbox, mute and xbox, unmute" commands and then sometimes will turn my tv off or on but not on a regular basis. I've entered it in a hundred different ways. At least with this new update it allows you to remove the device to put it back on. Still didn't fix it though.

CrystalStylez

Neo Member
My tv is giving me so many issues with the tv commands, it randomly accepts the "xbox, mute and xbox, unmute" commands and then sometimes will turn my tv off or on but not on a regular basis. I've entered it in a hundred different ways. At least with this new update it allows you to remove the device to put it back on. Still didn't fix it though.

Did you calibrate it with the volume all the way up? That helps alot.

Was there any reactions? Is it better now?

Yes. I could immediately notice the aiming felt better in Call of Duty. I had previously complained about the analog stick aiming never feeling quite right back at launch. I was so happy to hear an adjustment was being made, and the moment I played post update I could tell it felt better.

Jallopy

In the preview, and the home page no longer shows my pins, or the ads for stuff. Still connected to live, tho. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Resume Games no longer works for me. In the past updates it worked perfect even though it was listed as beta but now its dead in the March one.

Anyone else had the same issue?

Seems to be a nice improvement. Haven't tested the full potential. Also, if you want to chat with people without the update just start a skype party. Works just as good as the regular party system.

sangreal

oh, I totally missed this thread. why am I still posting in the other one?

Anyways, as I mentioned in the other thread, I like the way it shows broadcasts in the store: http://www.thesangreal.net/gafpics/broadcast.png

I also love the new friends app, and the new settings for volume/kinect/etc

I just got a second update. Anyone else the same?

A new update is going to start rolling out. There are a few fixes in this build, including some for issues discovered by the update preview community:

Fix for sign-in failing that requires system restart
IE and Bing not launching in non-English locales
Controller firmware not updating with chat headset plugged in
Messages are too easy to delete by accident since the Delete button is highlighted by default when opening a message (instead of Close button)

xb_rel_1403.140225-2200

sangreal

I also like how if you hit 'view' in friends it will only show online friends and group them by game. Not sure if that was a feature in the old app though

JayNica914

Neo Member
You aren't going to be able to communicate with people who aren't in the beta until the update comes out for everyone else.

I can't even get into a friends game or see their invites on a Ghosts, they get my invites but they are saying it just says launch and nothing happens....Anyone have a work around..

Defect

It's definitely better than before. Faster and better friends/party is great.

Can't wait to see future added features.

The Flash

Banned
It's definitely better than before. Faster and better friends/party is great.

Can't wait to see future added features.

Faster game installs
Screenshot command
External HDD support

all of which have been acknowledged by MS in some form or fashion

"Ability to choose the value by which volume increases or decreases when using the “Xbox, Volume Up” or Xbox, Volume Down” voice commands"

How do you change this? I dug around in the settings, but didn't see anything.

mrg6290

"Ability to choose the value by which volume increases or decreases when using the “Xbox, Volume Up” or Xbox, Volume Down” voice commands"

How do you change this? I dug around in the settings, but didn't see anything.

Someone else asked the same question in the other (invite req filled) thread.

Settings -> One Guide & TV -> Troubleshoot -> Audio

They try and hide it from you for some reason.

I got the update #1 feature for me, Turn off hand gestures while watching video! Mother of god that was annoying.

I also like the new friends list, haven't tried anything else.

Kydd BlaZe

Hmmm...don't know if this has been brought up already, but since I downloaded the update, trying to use the "Xbox, Turn Off" voice command doesn't seem to work.

Everytime I get to where I'm supposed to say "Yes" or "No", neither command registers. I have to use a controller to select either. It sucks.

Hawk269

Hmmm...don't know if this has been brought up already, but since I downloaded the update, trying to use the "Xbox, Turn Off" voice command doesn't seem to work.

Everytime I get to where I'm supposed to say "Yes" or "No", neither command registers. I have to use a controller to select either. It sucks.

Just tested and I had no issues with Xbox Turn Off/Yes. Worked perfectly fine for me.

I love all the little things they have done. The option to increase/decrease the amount the volume up/down commands is so simple, but significant. Also, everything seems a little snappier as well to me.

Top Bottom