• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One November Preview Info

mike4001_

Im a bit disappointed at how much it dims the colour of the achievement art, makes most of them usable from what ive tried. Gone for a solid blue background colour at the moment

They have a white/grey text.

They must dim it - otherwise it would me much too noisy and also the text could be non-readable.

They have a white/grey text.

They must dim it - otherwise it would me much too noisy and also the text could be non-readable.

Well surely they can come up with a solution to that? Like changing the colour of the text (or letting me choose it?)

Its not a big issue, i'll look around for something else I like, just meant that the ones I wanted to use didnt really look right

JaggedSac

How are images of the dashboard shared in this thread right now? Screenshots. Look in every other thread about a game that's also out on PS4, when people want to capture something from a game, they mostly do it with screenshots. Scoreboards, take a pic. Got weird loot in Destiny, take a pic. NPC stands weird take a pic. Found an easter egg, take a pic.

Look at most screenshots from PC games, you rarely just see action pics, since they are still hard to take even when it's just a single button press.

Screenshots are necessary. Barely anyone clicks a link online to watch a video a random dude made that might totally blow and I think games that come out pre-screenshots are suffering from it. With images you can just embed it, share right away on forums or Twitter or whatever. People instantly see what you're trying to show them.

Fair enough.

Deal with it. You made the choice to go physical, which means you need to compromise. If you want the full XB1 experience, you must go digital and have the Kinect. How do people not know this by now?

Zero sympathy.

You seem angry. Might want to deal with that.

theDeeDubs

Made a background similar to the Xbox 360 dashboard to use when custom images are allowed. Looks nice with various colours. Haven't done the official green yet.

I need a job lol.

Looks great. Will definitely use this some if that's cool with you. Was wanting something not so videogamey and a little subtle but not quite just a solid color.

Made a background similar to the Xbox 360 dashboard to use when custom images are allowed. Looks nice with various colours. Haven't done the official green yet.

Very nice. I wish they'd just offer some options like this. I like a clean look, so I doubt I'll be using any achievement art.

Lmao even the achievement pics are disappointing about Destiny.

Edit: Holy shit backgrounds are so good after staring at black land for so long.

i like how they've really simply turned achievements into a 'prize' that we can now use.
also people are going to produce some gorgeous backgrounds for the xbone when custom backgrounds are available.

njean777

Deal with it. You made the choice to go physical, which means you need to compromise. If you want the full XB1 experience, you must go digital and have the Kinect. How do people not know this by now?

Zero sympathy.

The fuck is this? It isn't something that is impossible to fix and there should not be any "compromise" for anybody.

Alx

The fuck is this? It isn't something that is impossible to fix and there should not be any "compromise" for anybody.

There isn't much to fix though, each set of tiles does what it is supposed to do. One is showing you the game in your drive, the other the most recent used apps/games. If the game in your drive happens to be a recently played software, it will appear on both, as it should.
I think the real issue is the placement of the tiles, that makes the user think the bluray one is part of the recent history. A better divider or other placement would solve that. Actually maybe swapping the snap tile and the bluray tile would do the trick, since snap can't be confused with an app, and it makes sense to associate it with recent/active apps from history.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
We need to be able to use backgrounds for the tiles like WP 8.1, now it can look garish if used incorrectly but some nice styles can be achieved (I’m rocking a 2 tone blue style I created with Theme+ ATM). I’m at work ATM so posting a pic is a bit difficult but here goes; http://1drv.ms/1wohTqQ

xboxonebackgrounds201b6rrf.jpg
xboxonebackgrounds201ysq5l.jpg
xboxonebackgrounds2011vont.jpg
xboxonebackgroundsscr1wq0x.jpg
xboxonebackgroundsscrhcpzg.jpg
xboxonebackgroundsscri6pit.jpg
xboxonebackgroundsscrguq51.jpg
xboxonebackgroundsscrekrs5.jpg

I tried out some others as well. I quite like the blue? :p

Ultimatum

Banned
There isn't much to fix though, each set of tiles does what it is supposed to do. One is showing you the game in your drive, the other the most recent used apps/games. If the game in your drive happens to be a recently played software, it will appear on both, as it should.
I think the real issue is the placement of the tiles, that makes the user think the bluray one is part of the recent history. A better divider or other placement would solve that. Actually maybe swapping the snap tile and the bluray tile would do the trick, since snap can't be confused with an app, and it makes sense to associate it with recent/active apps from history.

lol gtfo, it's clearly an oversight, and all it takes is an extremely simple workaround such as hiding the app (showing second last used app) if the last used app matches the app(game) on disc

Alx

lol gtfo, it's clearly an oversight, and all it takes is an extremely simple workaround such as hiding the app if the last used app matches the app(game) on disc

But in that case your history would be wrong. Which would be even more a problem if your game is still active in memory (and thus instantly available), but doesn't appear there. One shouldn't break a functionality for aesthetics, and display false information just to avoid displaying the same picture twice (which isn't an issue per se)

Ultimatum

Banned
But in that case your history would be wrong. Which would be even more a problem if your game is still active in memory (and thus instantly available), but doesn't appear there. One shouldn't break a functionality for aesthetics, and display false information just to avoid displaying the same picture twice (which isn't an issue per se)

oh I see, I didn't realise it worked that way, but is the option to launch the app useful? why not just have the resume option?

the issue should be addressed though, you can't pass it off as just aesthetic, it's clumsy design

Aeqvitas

Really like this update. So far I have found Ryse and Titanfall have the best art for backgrounds. Hopefully more games start stepping up.

Need to decide what to showcase now...

iMax

Seems to be a strange bug where if you choose a matching profile and background colour (not that you'd want to), the 'recent apps' section under the active app completely disappears.

Alx

I just did a quick and dirty edit of the "double Forza" capture to see if swapping the snap and bluray tiles would be less annoying. I don't know if it is convincing, but here it is anyway :

At least it's not worse. :p
I dont know if the position of the second Forza tile makes a difference, but I rather like the snap there.

They need to make the squares see thru. What's the point of background pictures if you can't even see any of the art? I updated last night and that's my complaint. Have a nice pic of Lebron guarding Swaggy P and you can't even see anything hardly.

Lol... pointless to have pictures on there when you can't see the background anyways.

Pathos

Banned
Seeing Ryse art makes me miss it so darn much.

Sequel plz :(
Yeah I'm going to choose a ryse achievement background. Ryse might not have been a "great" game but I loved the time period and had a good time going through the game
Sucks that the sequel got cancelled

Lima

also, keep in mind the full rgb output is still broken

Oh my fucking god how long until they fix this shit.

Fuck screenshots and all that other shit this should be #1 on their list. Seriously it's been almost a year now. I think they just don't care.

malfcn

I'm sure they will do some transparency if possible.
When are they going to start selling or adding more gamerpics (and themes)?

And I wish they would bring back more awards?
That was wasted on 360.

JeffG

When are they going to start selling or adding more gamerpics (and themes)?
Sounds like that will be tied to a Media Player update.

Edit: Ok not themes. The ability to use custom pictures as the background is tied to the Media Player update

MaulerX

it brightens up for some reason if you go over to the pins tab

also, keep in mind the full rgb output is still broken

Yea, mines is bright on "Pins" and "Home". Then dims on "Friends" and "Store". Maybe it dims on purpose on those sections do that the text is easier to read?

On a side note, with the addition of the Achievements leader board, and now the Achievement wallpapers, Microsoft has officially rekindled the inner Achievement whore in me. Lol

mcrommert

Banned
So are they planning on fixing the annoying presence of there being two tiles for a game if you have it on disc? I feel like it's a remnant of the old OS, where it expects everything to simply be installed and not require a disc. It's kinda annoying.

Example being Forza 5:

imJEQ881IJRvA.jpg

Zero sympathy.

Okay so that might be a bit harsh...unfortunately though he is right. There is no way to do it the way you want. You have to show what is the drive and also what is recent...they have to do it this way.

Ade

Okay so that might be a bit harsh...unfortunately though he is right. There is no way to do it the way you want. You have to show what is the drive and also what is recent...they have to do it this way.

To be fair, some games are physical only...

Broman1978

Sorry if this has been answered already but wasnt we supposed to be able to use our own pictures as background from ex an USB drive or PC etc? I seem to "only" be able to choose Achievement Art.

sangreal

Sorry if this has been answered already but wasnt we supposed to be able to use our own pictures as background from ex an USB drive or PC etc? I seem to "only" be able to choose Achievement Art.

not available yet; coming as an update to the media player preview

Alx

It will be made possible through an update of the media player (it will probably have a new menu similar to the achievements app).

RiV0FHf.jpg

Just updated it here, and those are two of the customizations I quickly made here and liked the most:

God damn, I didnt know that change that black background could be SO refreshing!

LOL the blue background looks like Windows 8

The bitmap backgrounds make it look like the 360. I'm guessing you can't use custom bitmaps for the backgrounds yet? As soon as they allow that I'm finding some way to put Holiday 2008 as my Xbox One background :)

Zero sympathy.

What is this shit? Are you for real? This is so bizarre it almost comes off like self-parody.

Top Bottom