• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: over 3 million sold to consumers in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
You mean like reducing from 18 countries to just 12 ? Which happened btw...

Judging by the allotment sent to larger markets (Spain, Germany), I don't think those 6 countries would have amounted to much more than a 200,000 consoles alotment, and that may be being fairly conservative.

I still think the delay in those regions was a software issue given the rumors pre-launch of big problems there.

Bsigg12

Great numbers Xbox. Congrats although no mention of Halo concerns me a bit I must say...I need a Halo fix in 2014. I am not sure I could handle a delay, unless Titanfall lives up to hype.

"2014 will be a promising year with many more great games on the way for Xbox One including “Titanfall,” “Watch_Dogs,” “Project Spark,” “Sunset Overdrive,” “Tom Clancy’s The Division,” “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt,” “Destiny,” “Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare,” and “The Elder Scrolls Online,” among others. More games, more features, more content, more fun – all coming your way this year."

That's a really solid lineup for 2014 of announced games for the Xbox One. Between first and 3rd parties, and indies, it should be a great year of games. E3 from both Sony and Microsoft should be fantastic.

I honestly expected the $100 difference to hinder the xbone sales more than it has.

We'll see over the next 4-5 months if the $100 difference is a factor. The holidays bring a buy the new thing mentality and people spend some serious money. The upcoming sparacity of AAA game launches over the next few months plus people falling back to good spending practices will show how much appeal the Xbox One carries.

Tratorn

They must have a really strong december in US then, because in Europe it should still be a bit before it hits the 1m mark.

Still, I'm seriously amazed both PS4 and One are selling so fast, at their prices. The most...err, how can I say it...tech-aiming audience is literally flying towards both. This makes me fear how big the drops will be starting from this month, though. This pace is unprecedented, but I can't see it going on for too long.

Who really knows. Holiday sales certainly helped both, but also the last generation just went on way too damn long so people may be just foaming at the mouth for a new console. I'm sure January and February will be good too though. February PS4 will pick up quite a bit of sales due to Infamous and March Xbox One will get a bunch with Titanfall as well. Right now I am guessing it is as much games selling the consoles as anything else they can do.

gaugebozo

Impressive number, but still going with the "fastest selling in November" line. Will be interesting to see Sony's numbers.

Interesting to see shipped numbers later this month. If they shipped something like 3.5 million it would show that at least somewhere the demand is already slowing down. If the shipped numbers are still pretty much same as sell trough numbers it's different story.

Riky

$MSFT
I think they're profiting on the hardware sales, but I could be wrong there. PS4 on the other hand is losing a fair amount per console but the attach ratio for software might be higher because of the lower price, so maybe that'll make up for it. I'd love to see these numbers.

Yeah I think when people just talk in sales in an X1 v PS4 terms they are very much missing the point. As a business if you sell 3 million at a profit compared to 5 million at a loss I know what would be best for your bottom line.

Like you say though would the software sales make up for that, we just don't know.

Culex

Banned
Great numbers! Notable that Microsoft mentions the Xbox One is NOT the best selling next gen console so far.

Gestault

It all depends on US, then. If the console sells less than around 1,500,000, then we'll know MS's PR lie. 1,500,000 sold in the first December sound like...an awful lot for a $500 system, though O_O

Do you think Microsoft would make an outright, falsifiable lie about sales numbers? The legal consequences for statements like that in a corporate environment are damaging enough that it's not something that's really feasible. If anyone would be able to make accurate statements about how many systems have sold in the wild, I'd say it's the company fulfilling the follow-up orders from retailers. I think there's just a lot of built-up demand for this sort of thing.

PBY

Banned
Do you think Microsoft would make an outright, falsifiable lie about sales numbers? The legal consequences for statements like that in a corporate environment are damaging enough that it's not something that's really feasible. If anyone would be able to make accurate statements about how many systems have sold in the wild, I'd say it's the company fulfilling the follow-up orders from retailers. I think there's just a lot of built-up demand for this sort of thing.
We did this whole thing the last time they made an announcement. Some people just always want to find conspiracy where there isn't any.

Those both look like great games that I'll pick up, but that's all I see for release this year that's really interesting and exclusive. Wii U still had W101, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD (all great games) but was also accused of a "game drought."

By that standard, I would call 1 good PS4 exclusive for the year and one XBONE sorta exclusive for the year a game drought.

It had a game drought because it didn't have 3rd party support the ps4 and xbo doesn't have that problem at all.

Copenap

lol at still going for the fastest selling console in November...

But seriously, that's really impressive. Sounds almost too good, would really like to know how this number is put together.

Dunlop

Didn't you know, the DS4 has a built-in salt to power converter? Only way to get the battery to last more than 10 minutes

This is a sarcastic response to hopefully the sarcastic response of a sarcastic post.

lol as a PS4 owner I would gladly take this as the battery life is comically bad with the useless glowing LED there to mock you about it

Sulik2

I am still shocked by how well the XB1 is selling. I expected it to stagger out the gate and be slaughtered by the PS4. Having a better launch lineup is really helping them.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So basically, "that site" was nearly spot-on with XB1 numbers. If they're close to as correct with PS4 numbers, that'd be crazy for Sony.

TheFatOne

One thing I don't understand about this pr is didn't Sony outsell them in the US November? and had one million sold day one? I don't know how they are the fastest selling or am I missing something.

With sales like that, I don't think Microsoft will be very convinced to drop the price any time soon.

At the moment these numbers are a story about supply rather than demand. The real question will be about what the demand will be like once the price insensitive buyers have gotten an XB1. Those price insensitive buyers are a much smaller group than the total potential buying population. However there are more than 3 million of them. When consoles become freely available on store shelves is when the real fun begins.

I get your point, but I would argue that their "fastest-selling console in November" bit is an outright, falsifiable lie.

One thing I don't understand about this pr is didn't Sony outsell them in the US November? and had one million sold day one? I don't know how they are the fastest selling or am I missing something.

MS is using the spin that they had a higher number of units per day sold compared to the ps4, which was out a few weeks before the Xbox.

Sony indeed outsold them in total for the month though.

Krakn3Dfx

I honestly expected the $100 difference to hinder the xbone sales more than it has.

This early on, launch pricing isn't going to have any great negative effect on either system. Even the PS3 at $600 pretty much sold out of stock going into the new year. I would say the next holiday will be more of a test.

Vizzeh

Banned
lol as a PS4 owner I would gladly take this as the battery life is comically bad with the useless glowing LED there to mock you about it

I have 2 DS4's so battery life doesnt bother me, it depends wildly on the game you are playing, I know I havent charges a DS4 for about 7/8 Hrs before and others every 4 Hours worth. I just swap them around on my DS4 Charging station.

Light bar is not going anywhere since it is quite handy so the PSeye can detect you are holding the controller and log you into your appropriate account or Game Profile. I dont mind it at all :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They sold less than PS4, but in shorter time. So they worded that as "faster" selling, as their average per-week sales were higher due to less number of weeks.

Klocker

wow great numbers for a next gen rollout, widely expected to have been much lower

good to see we have competition

TheFatOne

MS is using the spin that they had a higher number of units per day sold compared to the ps4, which was out a few weeks before the Xbox.

Sony indeed outsold them in total for the month though.

Gotcha. Couldn't figure out what metric they were using to make that statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom