• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: over 3 million sold to consumers in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good number, but didn't Wii U sell around the same numbers during its first few months on the market? Seems like the numbers throughout the rest of this year are far more significant, especially since these new consoles will have similar game droughts as the Wii U did its first year.

I'm pretty sure the majority of them have absolutely no idea about which is more or less powerful.
I'm pretty sure that the majority of them, like me, went for the good launch line up, announced 2014 games, and extra functionality of Kinect.

I'm pretty sure it's pretty easy to make shit up too

Raide

Good numbers so far. Sony and MS are both out of the blocks. Nintendo really needs to sort something out this year.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Great numbers Xbox. Congrats although no mention of Halo concerns me a bit I must say...I need a Halo fix in 2014. I am not sure I could handle a delay, unless Titanfall lives up to hype.

"2014 will be a promising year with many more great games on the way for Xbox One including “Titanfall,” “Watch_Dogs,” “Project Spark,” “Sunset Overdrive,” “Tom Clancy’s The Division,” “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt,” “Destiny,” “Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare,” and “The Elder Scrolls Online,” among others. More games, more features, more content, more fun – all coming your way this year."

Oh no :( well cant say anything for sure till E3 or maybe gdc.

dude819

Good number, but didn't Wii U sell around the same numbers during its first few months on the market? Seems like the numbers throughout the rest of this year are far more significant, especially since these new consoles will have similar game droughts as the Wii U did its first year.

This Just In: November to February is a "game drought."

Titanfall and Infamous say "no."

Wii U still leading next gen.

Thank god we're already in 2014 and these machines are literally months away from outselling the WiiU. The delusion of some folks through the whole damn past year about how these consoles would flop (because the wii u was a major flop) was getting really annoying.

harSon

Banned

No it didn't.

The Wii U shipped 3 million consoles through the end of December, but only sold through a fraction of that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

They shipped 3 million, which didn't sell through very well, which is why the first six months of this fiscal year added up to around ~460K total Wii U's shipped.

This actually sold through 3 million.

Is that a semantics thing, since NPD isn't from them?

My guess is that it means Microsoft won't do any more estimates of internal sales until then.

That "3 million sold to consumers" figure is not from NPD...it's Microsoft extrapolating given their relationships with retailers.

NPD is still going to release regardless of Microsoft's internal tracking.

badb0y

Fantastic numbers.

Edit: ^ No, I doubt PS4 even has crossed 4 million yet. These consoles are supply constrained and they can only sell what they can manufacture.

@geoffkeighley
Xbox says it won't be updating sales numbers again until Jan 23 w/ earnings announcement. Not sure what that means for NPD numbers.

What can they update on their earnings announcement other than the 2-3 extra weeks from January. They just gave their Q2 number.

Vizzeh

Banned
Still think they should be saying, 'Fastest selling console on average over the course of X-amount of days' - I dont think they would get away with that in the UK advertising with illusive claims. Its still a great feat, numbers sold.

Oriel

Damn, impressive stuff, and ultimately a good thing for gamers. I expect PS4 to sell more, but really we should be hoping both consoles perform well.

@geoffkeighley
Xbox says it won't be updating sales numbers again until Jan 23 w/ earnings announcement. Not sure what that means for NPD numbers.

What? But MS most likely won NPD

This has been super weird with Sony not announcing November NPD numbers even though they were ahead and now MS not announcing until the 23rd

My guess is that it means Microsoft won't do any more estimates of internal sales until then.

That "3 million sold to consumers" figure is not from NPD...it's Microsoft extrapolating given their relationships with retailers.

Agreed. MS can also extrapolate the sold figures from the number of consoles that have actually signed into Live to get the day one update. I would think MS has the exact total on hand they just need to net out replacements.

That's what I figured, thanks. I suppose we'll get the numbers at earnings and then perhaps in conjunction with Titanfall launch in addition to normal NPD releases. For PS4, perhaps soon at CES, then some combination of earnings, Japan launch and Infamous launch.

dude819

hmm? They were at 2.1 million December 1st.

And have been pretty terrible, aside from 12/15 or thereabouts when they had a big shipment, at reloading retail stock.

I am not saying people don't want PS4's, they do, but it seems Sony was having at tough time getting them out there to be sold.

This Just In: November to February is a "game drought."

Titanfall and Infamous say "no."

Those both look like great games that I'll pick up, but that's all I see for release this year that's really interesting and exclusive. Wii U still had W101, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD (all great games) but was also accused of a "game drought."

By that standard, I would call 1 good PS4 exclusive for the year and one XBONE sorta exclusive for the year a game drought.

Vizzeh

Banned
And have been pretty terrible, aside from 12/15 or thereabouts when they had a big shipment, at reloading retail stock.

I am not saying people don't want PS4's, they do, but it seems Sony was having at tough time getting them out there to be sold.

They have had a European Launch and I think parts of Asia and Japan launches to think about :) - Once those launches are over and numbers come out, it will be interesting (not to mention when they can stop feed-dripping supplys after theier MASS launches, but just replenish supplies throughout the world.)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
These should be the known numbers so far

US: 909k (two weeks)
UK: 364k (from launch to end of 2014)
Spain: ~28k (4 weeks)
France: ~50k (2 weeks)
Australia: 67k (? week)

Total: 1,418,000.

It all depends on US, then. If the console sells less than around 1,500,000, then we'll know MS's PR lie. 1,500,000 sold in the first December sound like...an awful lot for a $500 system, though O_O

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Looks like you forgot Europe, major markets received big shipments of PS4 during December.

Boke1879

In one week Sony sold 240k ps4's based on an insider. Not to mention if launched in several other countries. I have no issues believe Sony sold around 3.5-4 million consoles. We'll hear either tonight or tomorrow.

Those both look like great games that I'll pick up, but that's all I see for release this year that's really interesting and exclusive. Wii U still had W101, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD (all great games) but was also accused of a "game drought."

By that standard, I would call 1 good PS4 exclusive for the year and one XBONE sorta exclusive for the year a game drought.

Wat. We still have E3 coming up. We know very little about this upcoming fall lineup. Presumably, we'll get Halo, The Order, Uncharted, Quantum Break and a bunch of other stuff. It's way too early to presume that there's no games to move systems coming this year.

On that note, I'm curious how tomb raider hair edition will do for PS4/XBO.

You really think the Wii U didn't have a game drought in 2013?

Wonderful 101, a niche of niche game
Wind waker HD, not an original game
Pikmin 3, another niche title

JaggedSac

Great numbers Xbox. Congrats although no mention of Halo concerns me a bit I must say...I need a Halo fix in 2014. I am not sure I could handle a delay, unless Titanfall lives up to hype.

"2014 will be a promising year with many more great games on the way for Xbox One including “Titanfall,” “Watch_Dogs,” “Project Spark,” “Sunset Overdrive,” “Tom Clancy’s The Division,” “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt,” “Destiny,” “Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare,” and “The Elder Scrolls Online,” among others. More games, more features, more content, more fun – all coming your way this year."

That certainly is interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom