• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: over 3 million sold to consumers in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southside Jim

Neo Member
Cool. Great system.

And with both consoles doing so well, looks like the attention will again turn towards exclusives and services.

iceatcs

Well done MS. Impressive number with all that smartphone era around.

Can't wait how is going with PS4. I don't think Sony can do more than 4 millions but closest, like some said it is about production limitations.
But there is an evidence that PS4 made from China and Japan. I can see Japanese production can give the gap but they might have reserve major section for Japan market because of more profit by less ship cost.

Vizzeh

Banned
These should be the known numbers so far

US: 909k (two weeks)
UK: 364k (from launch to end of 2014)
Spain: ~28k (4 weeks)
France: ~50k (2 weeks)
Australia: 67k (? week)

Total: 1,418,000.

It all depends on US, then. If the console sells less than around 1,500,000, then we'll know MS's PR lie. 1,500,000 sold in the first December sound like...an awful lot for a $500 system, though O_O

Until end of 2013* :)

Are those numbers accurate, seems interestingly low in Mainland Europe.

dude819

Those both look like great games that I'll pick up, but that's all I see for release this year that's really interesting and exclusive. Wii U still had W101, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD (all great games) but was also accused of a "game drought."

By that standard, I would call 1 good PS4 exclusive for the year and one XBONE sorta exclusive for the year a game drought.

The difference here is that Infamous and Titanfall will each sell orders of magnitude more than those games combined. Also, there are plenty of games, like Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break and Halo on XB1 and (I don't have a PS4 so have really not paid attention) stuff on PS4 that is coming out on top of all the multiplatform games which the WiiU simply doesn't get.

Already Peggle 2 and Max: The Curse of Brotherhood have come out on XB1 and Don't Starve comes out on PS4 tomorrow.

There will not be a drought. If anything, backlogs are coming sooner rather than later.

Skeff

And have been pretty terrible, aside from 12/15 or thereabouts when they had a big shipment, at reloading retail stock.

I am not saying people don't want PS4's, they do, but it seems Sony was having at tough time getting them out there to be sold.

They sold 280k in the UK in December compared to 250k in November.

They're shipping their just not seeing store shelves for very long, if at all.

Those both look like great games that I'll pick up, but that's all I see for release this year that's really interesting and exclusive. Wii U still had W101, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD (all great games) but was also accused of a "game drought."

By that standard, I would call 1 good PS4 exclusive for the year and one XBONE sorta exclusive for the year a game drought.

Troll post? Xbone and PS4 have way more than one good exclusive coming out. And not to mention all the great third party games coming out next year because unlike the Wii U, PS4 and Xbone don't have to rely on exclusives because they actual get third party support.

gcubed

And have been pretty terrible, aside from 12/15 or thereabouts when they had a big shipment, at reloading retail stock.

I am not saying people don't want PS4's, they do, but it seems Sony was having at tough time getting them out there to be sold.

The world exists beyond the US and you have no idea how much stock they brought to the US. They launched in new territories with a rumored 500k allotment BESIDES replenishing every other market. 3.5 would be bare minimum, it's going to be 4

The Wii U had very little between launch and late summer the following year. You've ignored their release dates:

Pikmin 3: August 4th
W101: September 15th
Wind Waker: September 20th

And if Wikipedia is correct, the Wii U had no retail releases between December 14 2012 and March 5 2013, almost three months.

Gestault

These are really good numbers, and bode well for interest in the console space in general. That said, if I sell ten apples in one day, and my friend sells 100 apples in 15 days, my apples sold faster than my friend's.

As someone who's waiting out the first wave of the new systems, these sales performance statements are fascinating.

We aren't even a week in to 2014 yet. I'm sure there will be at least a few games announced for this year.

Prine

Banned
CBOAT am cry

Great numbers, i just want to hear from people saying the industry was on the verge of collapse due to rejecting Wii U. Say something!

Boke1879

XB1 and PS4 also have huge third party support. Thief, TR, Watch Dogs. Tons of download games, Destiny, Holiday blockbusters. Those will keep the systems selling.

Has Sony announced 3 million yet?

Either way, very impressive numbers by Microsoft. The adoption rates for Next Gen is great, both systems are selling a ton and it's very impressive.

Reminds me, is the Xbox One still considered over stock and not selling? ;)

Dunlop

You really think the Wii U didn't have a game drought in 2013?

Wonderful 101, a niche of niche game
Wind waker HD, not an original game
Pikmin 3, another niche title

Even tough I have a PS3 (and now a PS4) I purchased Skylanders Swapforce on the WiiU to pretty much force my kids to use it :p

The thing had been a paperweight once they were done with Lego City, I couldn't even justify it as a media extender/DVD player to use on another TV lol

Miles X

It all depends on US, then. If the console sells less than around 1,500,000, then we'll know MS's PR lie. 1,500,000 sold in the first December sound like...an awful lot for a $500 system, though O_O

Sells less than 1.5m in the US in Dec? What?

Riky

$MSFT
That's very impressive for a console with such negative publicity before launch and at $499/£425. If Microsoft are at least breaking even on the hardware sale then they have done a lot better financially than the 360 launch.

Portugeezer

Well 3 million shipped would be easy to see.

3 million sold to consumers? I never would have guessed that.

quetz67

Banned
And have been pretty terrible, aside from 12/15 or thereabouts when they had a big shipment, at reloading retail stock

You really still believe that? In Europe they Soldaten More in December than in November and nobody really ever saw them being in stock.

Amazon has the PS4 ahead in 2013 and 2014 sales and that only with the one visible huge restock.

yon61

Shows that the people who were expecting another PS3 situation with the Xbone were frankly on a different planet.

Baki

I would guess that it they sold over 2.7 million in North America & UK with the remaining 300,000 being sold in Europe. This would be the only distribution that would be believable (simply because the European numbers we currently have).

So that would leave the numbers as:

UK: 364K [Confirmed]
Spain: 28K [Confirmed, 22nd Dec 2013]
US: 2000K [Conjecture]
Rest of Americas: 340K [Conjecture]
Rest of the world: 272K [Conjecture]

PS4 currently stands at:

UK: 530K [Confirmed, CY13]
Spain: 150K [Confirmed, 22nd Dec 2013]
North America: 1400K [Confirmed, 29th November 2013]

That's very impressive for a console with such negative publicity before launch and at $499/£425. If Microsoft are at least breaking even on the hardware sale then they have done a lot better financially than the 360 launch.

I think they're profiting on the hardware sales, but I could be wrong there. PS4 on the other hand is losing a fair amount per console but the attach ratio for software might be higher because of the lower price, so maybe that'll make up for it. I'd love to see these numbers.

PBY

Banned
You mean like reducing from 18 countries to just 12 ? Which happened btw...
Does that mean anything though? Seems like they just wanted stock in territories where itd sell. I think it's reallocation instead of some decrease in projected stock.

I can almost smell your salty tears dripping down onto your DS4.

Didn't you know, the DS4 has a built-in salt to power converter? Only way to get the battery to last more than 10 minutes

This is a sarcastic response to hopefully the sarcastic response of a sarcastic post.

I think a "hidden" impressive number is the amount they must have shipped so far. If they are boasting 3million sold, and pretty much every retail store has them in stock and readily available, they surely have shipped around 3.5-4million by now, no?

Also, with the stock seemingly being readily available, too much so in the UK perhaps, when do people see them opening up in new teritories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom