• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Power Brick revealed

DBT85

The rear USB ports would bug me a lot more. I'd rather have front USB ports.

Theere is no reason it should be either/or. There should be ports on the back for cameras and external HDDs and ports on the front/side for USB sticks and stuff.

I'm still amazed that with the revisions of the PS3 they never fucking added one to the back.

At least with the brick if it breaks you can just replace it, rather than having to send the whole system to microsoft for who knows how much money.

At least with the brick if it breaks you can just replace it, rather than having to send the whole system to microsoft for who knows how much money.

People say that a lot, but since when have video game console internal power supplies been blowing out on people left and right?

Danj

Nope. It's the same as the 360 Slim port. It's far too big to be the figure 8 one. And figure 8 ones have prongs that stick out, not holes.

xbox-360-slim-firmware.jpg

Oh, you're right. I don't own a slim so I've not seen that port before.

Sendou

What's the big deal with a power brick anyway? In my setup they're hidden behind TV and I don't really even care it's there. I actually prefer external over internal one.

I think the reason the brick is external is because the APU is a 40nm process chip instead of 28nm. More heat is generated and more power is required. I'll bet a 28nm design comes later as well as a shrinked down console. The PS4 is using 28nm right now. So far the word is that the ESRAM is the culprit as far as why they went with 40nm.

synce

I wonder how loud the brick will be... You can hear the slim's brick pretty clearly especially at night

What's the big deal with a power brick anyway? In my setup they're hidden behind TV and I don't really even care it's there. I actually prefer external over internal one.

no big deal. people just looking for more reasons to complain. mines hidden on the floor behind the tv

rdrr gnr

I think the reason the brick is external is because the APU is a 40nm process chip instead of 28nm. More heat is generated and more power is required. I'll bet a 28nm design comes later as well as a shrinked down console. The PS4 is using 28nm right now. So far the word is that the ESRAM is the culprit as far as why they went with 40nm.
I thought there was some confusion with that? We know for sure it's 40nm?

no big deal. people just looking for more reasons to complain. mines hidden on the floor behind the tv

It's a pretty big deal when some people have limited room in their entertainment centers. Sony got the PS3 completely right. It never had a power brick and the consumer never had to worry about a cumbersome block being in the way. People keep on saying things like, "Well, the brick prevents overheating," The PS3 never had issues with overheating and the power brick for the 360 certainly did not prevent overheating. Size can be an issue, but the PS3 was never that much larger than any iteration of the 360. This is simply a case of a software company not knowing how to design hardware.

DBT85

I don't think its just a matter of looking for more reasons to complain, as I think there have been people who complained about every power brick on every console that had one, even when they owned the system.

Some people just prefer the less cluttered PSU in the box approach.

I thought there was some confusion with that? We know for sure it's 40nm?

There is still confusion. Most sites have said it's a 28nm process, probably form spec sheets from MS. I think it might only have been Wired & Ars that said it was 40nm and Ars I tihnk got that info form Wired. Wired had an exclusive look at it before anyone else so maybe they got it right, but at 40nm it would be bloody huge and a high price to pay considering it must be the eSRAM that caused it to be 40nm instead of 28nm.

I'd guess that it is indeed 28nm and Wired got it wrong.

Xyphie

It's not 40nm. Jaguar is built on 28nm, GCN is built on 28nm. AMD is not gonna backport those to an older process. Also, based on the die shot we've seen it's easy to deduce it's not 40nm plus a chip with XB1 specs at 40nm wouldn't have the ~100W TDP reported by MS.

I don't think AMD will provide 28nm to Sony at the same time that provides 40nm to MS. Makes no sense to have 2 different manufacturing nodes for the same chip at a fab standpoint. Anyway, I came here to say that you can have different nanometers in a given chip. It's pretty usual to do caches on bigger sizes.

Seriously, the absence of an external power supply would've really been a selling point for me -well, if I suddenly had an amnesia about fantasy league and always online - the 360's one is friggin' huge. Like, I had serious problems in finding a place to put it on/under my rather small desk. And people make a fuss about Nintendo actively researching a way to get smaller console cases >.>

It's a pretty big deal when some people have limited room in their entertainment centers. Sony got the PS3 completely right. It never had a power brick and the consumer never had to worry about a cumbersome block being in the way. People keep on saying things like, "Well, the brick prevents overheating," The PS3 never had issues with overheating and the power brick for the 360 certainly did not prevent overheating. Size can be an issue, but the PS3 was never that much larger than any iteration of the 360. This is simply a case of a software company not knowing how to design hardware.

Honestly, I don't understand how haven't a massive console like the PS3 fat is doing it right in terms of saving space for entertainment centers.

That said, I don't really have a preference either way.

How about a well designed piece of hardware that doesn't fail? Is that to much to ask for?

I know you're being rhetorical but... it is, actually. Consoles are much more complicated machines than they used to be, essentially they are computers now... and computers break. Sure the failure rate will vary, and we have a right as consumers to expect a low rate... but fail-proof hardware? Nope. I believe that's in the past unfortunately.

Top Bottom