• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Power Brick revealed

kortez320

If you are really dissapointed with the size of all this the PS4 is not going to be much better. In fact it probabaly draws more power which means more cooling needed.

Oppo

The external brick is not a deal breaker, it's just inelegant.

It's a way of "cheating" on your console size, and people tend to stuff them behind poorly ventilated AV units, and on carpet. They are sort of asking for trouble.

Man... The size of this overall system is crazy. I'd have to rearrange my whole entertainment center to accommodate it. It better be whisper quiet.

Well IGN has put up a video analysis of the Xbox One hardware on their website and they have said the power supply is internal. So end of thread I guess.

http://m.au.ign.com/videos/2013/05/31/exploring-every-inch-of-xbox-one

They're just looking at a third party making a mock up from pictures. If you look at the actual console, it has the exact same port as the Xbox 360 for it's external power supply.

4714121215_148cf2e37c_b_back.jpg

20130522-163113.jpg

They're just looking at a third party making a mock up from pictures. If you look at the actual console, it has the exact same port as the Xbox 360 for it's external power supply.

20130522-163113.jpg

Off topic, but on the right side of the rear of the X1 console, is that a slot of a Kensington lock?

20130522-163113.jpg
They seemed pretty confident when they said the power supply was internal. Specifically stating there won't be a big power brick this time. If they're just guessing/making it up that's pretty unproffesional. But I would expect no less with all the confusion surrounding this console.

They seemed pretty confident when they said the power supply was internal. Specifically stating there won't be a big power brick this time. If they're just guessing/making it up that's pretty I proffesional. But I would expect no less with all the confusion surrounding this console.

IGN is blocked at work for me. Were they given the console to turn on and play with? Or just the physical box to look at?

IGN is blocked at work for me. Were they given the console to turn on and play with? Or just the physical box to look at?

They went to sketchfab, which made a mock 3D design you can go on your computer and look at. They don't have anything about the Xbox One from Microsoft themself.

They were just looking at a 3D render of the console and explaining all the inputs/outputs. So it wasn't official. But they seemed pretty confident nonetheless.

Wired's inside pic again: http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/news/29/29607/XBOX-ONE_Wired_Motherboard.jpg

look at sockets, where power is externally. dont see the room or connectors for any power module. def not any transformers near the socket on the pcb. (IMO)

So IGN is going off of a render and Wired has the actual console insides.

I think I know who I'm gonna believe.

Geoff Keighley said there is definitely a brick.

A brick of Doritos?

I don't care about power bricks one way or the other - I have become accustomed to them. I'm also quite confident the PS4 will have an external one as well.

I don't care about power bricks one way or the other - I have become accustomed to them. I'm also quite confident the PS4 will have an external one as well.

It's worth mentioning again that no Playstation console (with the exception of PS2 slim and PSone) have had external power supplies

Why are you confident of that? What leads you to think that When Sony has said multiple times that hardware should have an internal PSUs and all their systems are internal? Where is this confidence coming from?

Flo_Evans

This has become quite the reoccurring theme eh? Just because MS is doing something does not mean Sony is doing it too.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I think the complaints here are all much ado about nothing compared to the other real problems facing the Xbox One.

I'm all for the power brick if it means it will keep the system cooler and less prone to failure. Granted, it didn't help with the 360 but had the power supply been internal there the red ringing would have been even worse.

I also don't mind the external brick because it keeps the system smaller. I can just throw the brick under my entertainment center or something.

About the only negative I can throw at it is that this is yet another 'box' that the Xbox One depends on which ties into the whole Xbox One + 1 + 1 + 1 thing but that's really stretching it.

artist

Banned
Man, the first page of denial is awesome;

Didn't IGN say earlier there was no power brick?

Aren't these just prototypes though?

That's the 360 mini adapter.

They already said the power supply is built in.

POWER BUILT IN

Jesus christ. GAF is like a fucking middle school today spreading rumors with total disregard. That's a table full of PROTOTYPES.

Power is built in. Close this thing.

Gee, people are really getting creative trying to conjure up negatives for this thing.

And then bam!

There is definitely an external powerbrick for Xbox One.

Thanks Geoff.

In regards to the current topic of this thread; relevance of power brick. Are the people saying it doesnt matter the same people that said the look of the console mattered?

Also for the people that have an issue with external power bricks, hopefully you're ready to have one for PS4 as well.

I think the complaints here are all much ado about nothing compared to the other real problems facing the Xbox One.

I'm all for the power brick if it means it will keep the system cooler and less prone to failure. Granted, it didn't help with the 360 but had the power supply been internal there the red ringing would have been even worse.

I also don't mind the external brick because it keeps the system smaller. I can just throw the brick under my entertainment center or something.

Hardware manufacturers don't usually make it external by default. They don't think "Lets make this even smaller and cooler by making it external." It's more likely that they needed to make it external to meet the size and heat demands. It is more of a necessity than choice. This is pretty clear when you look at the size of the box and the size of the fans and vents.

It's worth mentioning again that no Playstation console (with the exception of PS2 slim and PSone) have had external power supplies
Hmm, I kept thinking the PS3 slim and super slim had an external supply. I seem to be mistaken then.

Why are you confident of that? What leads you to think that When Sony has said multiple times that hardware should have an internal PSUs and all their systems are internal? Where is this confidence coming from?
It stemmed from my belief that Sony won't design their new system to be as large as the original PS3. Couple that with my (mistaken) assumption that the slimmer PS3s had an external supply and the fact that the high end components of the PS4 will generate quite a bit of heat, and that made me lean the way I did.

This has become quite the reoccurring theme eh? Just because MS is doing something does not mean Sony is doing it too.
I am sensing some kind of hostility here.

Hmm, I kept thinking the PS3 slim and super slim had an external supply. I seem to be mistaken then.

It stemmed from my belief that Sony won't design their new system to be as large as the original PS3. Couple that with my (mistaken) assumption that the slimmer PS3s had an external supply and the fact that the high end components of the PS4 will generate quite a bit of heat, and that made me lean the way I did.

I am sensing some kind of hostility here.

There is no hostility. And the PS4 is likely to generate less heat than the PS3. Both the Xbox One and PS4 are spec'ed to use less power than the original PS3 and 360.

LAMBO

I think it's better to be outside, less heat in the console.

Wow they put the PSU in the PS2 slim wow. I had one with the external PSU.

Windforce

This leaves me wondering how big/heavy will be the console box. Manuals, console, Kinect, controller, power brick, cables.

Kind of hated my 360's power brick, but I guess I prefer a cooler and smaller console if the cost is to have the power brick...

Curious about how Sony will handle this on PS4, of course.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Now they can make the power brick cheaper made than the box itself--so when it breaks down you can send it in multiple times.

Biker19

Banned

This. Like ReaperXL07 said here, Sony's not beholden/obligated to play fair with Microsoft, & vice versa, nor does Microsoft have any control how Sony conducts their business, & vice versa, whatever it's about used games, or something like hardware specifications, etc.

They're both different companies with different cultures & audiences.

Respawn

Banned
If you are really dissapointed with the size of all this the PS4 is not going to be much better. In fact it probabaly draws more power which means more cooling needed.

I love these silly post. Because one is looking like a tank the other should to. A company that has been designing hardware sine WWII all of a sudden has lost their mantra.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Are people really complaining about something you're going to hook up and throw behind your tv never to be seen again?

Scraping the bottom of the barrel are we guys?

You would think NeoGAF would be happy, this means less heat in the box itself.

dejay

Banned
Are people really complaining about something you're going to hook up and throw behind your tv never to be seen again?

Scraping the bottom of the barrel are we guys?

I'm always bummed about the power brick when I unbox one. It's funny because for most people it is a not issue. There are certainly more issues than the presence or otherwise of a power brick. Mind you, I kinda wish the PS3 phat had come with one - it may have reduced the size a little.

This leaves me wondering how big/heavy will be the console box. Manuals, console, Kinect, controller, power brick, cables.

Kind of hated my 360's power brick, but I guess I prefer a cooler and smaller console if the cost is to have the power brick...

Curious about how Sony will handle this on PS4, of course.

This post just made me realise that I'll be unpacking brand new console (or two) in a few months. Nothing like unboxing new toys. I unboxed three new 360s and two PS3s but it's not the same unboxing the same console you've already owned.

Top Bottom