• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Power Brick revealed

SDF playbook chapter 1 page 2... and I quote :

"When all else fails talk about AA batteries and power bricks, or the personal aesthetics of the opposing game console to distract from third party games looking inferior on the blessed Sony console".

I just find it odd since the system is much larger volumetricly. Even if the system has similar dimensions to the original 360, the flat sides all around give it more internal space. Couple this with the fact that it requires much less power to run than the original 360 makes it strange.

Cidd

"When all else fails talk about AA batteries and power bricks, or the personal aesthetics of the opposing game console to distract from third party games looking inferior on the blessed Sony console".

Say's the XDF warrior.

Keep it up you have a bright future.

It's not a good idea to make general fanboyism claims like that. It's often considered to be very unconstructive. You'd be better off pointing to a particular post that seems to be unreasonable.

Dragon

Banned

You're new so I'll cut you some slack but I wouldn't recommend this line of thinking here.

The Xbox One will have:
The console
Kinect
Power Brick

All have to live under/next to people's TVs. It's a lot and worth mentioning.

You're new so I'll cut you some slack but I wouldn't recommend this line of thinking here.

The Xbox One will have:
The console
Kinect
Power Brick

You don't know me or every console owner so I'll clue you in. The 3 current consoles gaming PC HTPC roku surround sound receiver DirecTV bdvr don't sit anywhere near my TV. And you can't see them or their plugs/bricks from my living room.

This "brick" is a moot point. Just like 2006.But everyone should keep up the good fight"

You don't know me or every console owner so I'll clue you in. The 3 current consoles gaming PC HTPC roku surround sound receiver DirecTV bdvr don't dit anywhere near my TV. And you can't see them or their plugs/bricks from my living room.

This "brick" is a moot point. Just like 2006.But everyone should keep up the good fight"
Are you still joking?

Dragon

Banned
You don't know me or every console owner so I'll clue you in. The 3 current consoles gaming PC HTPC roku surround sound receiver DirecTV bdvr don't sit anywhere near my TV. And you can't see them or their plugs/bricks from my living room.

I thought it was kinda funny myself. Sheesh, touchy touchy.

This isn't 2006. Kinect wasn't around in 2006.

The Xbox One will have:
The console
Kinect
Power Brick

Im more pissed about kinect having to sit under my TV. I just hope I'm able to hide it somewhere out of veiw without it locking the console.

Oh and hopefully the PS4's camera isn't mandatory otherwise I'm gonna have cameras coming out if my ass.

The Xbox One will have:
The console
Kinect
Power Brick

So people that have owned an 360 with Kinect should really worry about this? Was there uproar with the Wii sensor bar? Or the Move camera?

We have 3 pages for the XO power brick. It's pretty sad.

I only lurked when the PS360 was launching so maybe it always gets this pathetic around system launches? The usual level of conversation seems to have degraded to one-shot troll posts and 'lol'

Danny 117

Console wars have returned, I see. Dear god.

I couldn't care less about whether the power brick is internal or external. All I care about is the games! :)

Why would I be? Not everyone leaves piles of cables around for the world to see.
You're continuing to exaggerate people's issue. You're building strawman arguments instead of taking on the real one. People simply have an expectation for no power bricks and those expectations not being met are somewhat disappointing. Nobody is saying its a disaster, its just unfortunate and odd they couldn't get it internal.

Im more pissed about kinect having to sit under my TV. I just hope I'm able to hide it somewhere out of veiw without it locking the console.

Oh and hopefully the PS4's camera isn't mandatory otherwise I'm gonna have cameras coming out if my ass.

Eurogamer claims its bundled with every PS4...now why would Sony do that unless it was mandatory...and they put the Move light in the controller...hmmm

Despera

Banned
BrfvR6M.png

Unfortunately, followed by:

iQZ5U8Y.png
This guy's a joke :lol

It's actually an issue if the brick has a fan in it like the 360 ones.

I had two 360 Slims that had power bricks that made an annoying whining sound. Which was the cheapo fan in them.

You could constantly hear it while you were playing games.

Dragon

Banned
So people that have owned an 360 with Kinect should really worry about this? Was there uproar with the Wii sensor bar? Or the Move camera?

We have 3 pages for the XO power brick. It's pretty sad.

I only lurked when the PS360 was launching so maybe it always gets this pathetic?

I would worry. I have a receiver, a PS3, a Wii and a Boxee Box on my main TV. If I replace that PS3 with a PS4 or Xbone and have to add a camera to both, having an additional power brick to hide sucks. I don't want it. I like cleaner hardware. It's bad enough that cameras are probably mandatory.

I don't see it as pathetic to want better put together hardware.

You're continuing to exaggerate people's issue. You're building strawman arguments instead of taking on the real one. People simply have an expectation for no power bricks and those expectations not being met are somewhat disappointing. Nobody is saying its a disaster, its just unfortunate and odd they couldn't get it internal.

Who are these people? Where would they get that expectation? Outside of videogame forums no one cares.

Sean

Banned
Why engineer something well when you can cut as many corners as possible and throw a broken product out the door? Having an external PSU sure didn't prevent RRoD. Power bricks are a sign that the rest of the design was probably done poorly as well.

NES? SNES? N64? GCN? Wii? Wii U?

Nintendo make the most reliable consoles and they've all had external PSU's. Other consoles like the Genesis and PS2 slim (and probably more that I'm forgetting) had external PSU's too. It's not uncommon in the console industry nor is it a sign of poor design.

Eurogamer claims its bundled with every PS4...now why would Sony do that unless it was mandatory...and they put the Move light in the controller...hmmm
There's a difference between bundling it with every console so it's a standard feature and making it mandatory to be plugged in to the console.

You're making some extreme speculations. Including it doesn't make it mandatory. 360s came with headsets, but they weren't mandatory. They've actually said they aren't sure if they will bundle it in and will give more details on that later.

miked808

So the Xbone has the same CPU as the PS4, a weaker and less power hungry GPU and DDR3 ram which doesn't run as hot. If Microsoft had to go with a power brick and Sony does not I must say that would be curious to me. Doesn't make much of a difference but still.

Cidd

Personally I don't care if the power brick is internal or external as long as the system doesn't sound like a jet fighter preparing for take off I'm fine.

Snubbers

Macho men can deal with such difficult things..

I barely break out in a sweat with my laptop PSU, so this should be no problem..

I have to say, that's a weird expectation. No doubt people clearly have it, but if I inventoried all the electronics in my home, I'd bet easily half of them have external bricks.

clav

Has to be external considering how many power supply failures the original Xbox had.

I bet most of you don't feel comfortable opening up the console to replace it if it were internal.

External power brick is a positive.

Yup baseless. Eurogamer report. Sony building move light into every controller. Totally baseless.
Rumors are rumors. We don't know. You don't seem interested in having a very constructive conversation. You seem to have an agenda of turning a thread about facts about bad Xbox One stuff into a thread about rumors of the PS4 and speculate those rumors are going to lead to a bad policy.

Regarding the Eye being mandatory : we knew the Kinect was going to be mandatory from multiple leaks from developers long before the Xbone reveal. You'd imagine if it were the case with the PS4 too then that would have leaked also.

We already know that Vita remote play isn't a feature for games that don't use the Eye. So if there are games that make no use of it, why would it be mandatory to have it connected at all?

Rumors are rumors. We don't know. You don't seem interested in having a very constructive conversation. You seem to have an agenda of turning a thread about facts about bad Xbox One stuff into a thread about rumors of the PS4 and speculate those rumors are going to lead to a bad policy.

No just questioning the intent of those who claim its bad at all. Wild expectations of how hardware should be designed seems like weak sauce for this complaint.

"When all else fails"?

Have you been living under a rock for the last few weeks?

Top Bottom