• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Power Brick revealed

I remember glancing at a post, maybe I'm just remembering it smaller than the PS3 which it is.

My Bad. Either way it's about the same size as a 360 and smaller than a PS3 but it doesn't detract from wonderful contributors such as:

It's closer to the original ps3 than it is to the original 360. Let's try to be objective please. It's not a small console, unless you think the ps3 phat is also a small console.

And external power bricks are more prone to fail since they don't have any cooling and are stuck inside a tiny enclosure.

Sorcerer

Xbox one doesn't need a power brick at all.

It can run on the power of the sun, but Microsoft decided to put solar power behind a pay wall and raise the price of live if you want it.

Dammit, I had almost forgotten all the odd power brick talk when the 360 came out, where people talked about the size and weight like they were expected to wear it on a chain around their neck while playing.

Raist

Banned
I remember glancing at a post, maybe I'm just remembering it smaller than the PS3 which it is.

My Bad. Either way it's about the same size as a 360 and smaller than a PS3 but it doesn't detract from wonderful contributors such as:

It's really not "about the same size".

It's about the same size as the first xbox though.

Considering that the PS3 has varying height, how have they measured the H?

Highest point I assume.

No one would be stupid enough to put the power brick inside the console in this race. That's ~35Watts of heat that gets dumped into the system and an extra ~20 in^3 of space.

The launch PS3 had it inside and it was way more power hungry than the PS4. It was a universal power supply too (110v/220v), which was very nice for importing.

It's closer to the original ps3 than it is to the original 360. Let's try to be objective please. It's not a small console, unless you think the ps3 phat is also a small console.

And external power bricks are more prone to fail since they don't have any cooling and are stuck inside a tiny enclosure.

I have never had a powerbrick fail on me with any electronic device. And I'm not saying it's small, but it's about the size of what we've seen the past 7 years sans the Wii.

It's really not "about the same size".

It's about the same size as the first xbox though.

It's barely longer than a PS3 and less height. Plus, this was the post I remember:

Okay so I measured the XboxOne based of the USB port on the side. A USB port is about 1.3 ~1.4 CM wide. With that knowledge I came to know that the XboxOne is about 25cm depth and 30cm wide.

Now for comparison the:
PS3 Phat: 32.5 cm (w) x 9.8 cm (h) 27.4 cm (d)
PS3 Slim : 29cm (w) x 6.4cm (h) x 29cm (d)
X360 Phat: 30.9 cm (w) x 8.3 cm (h) x 25.8cm (d)
X360 Slim: 27cm (w) x 7.5cm (h) x 26.4cm (d)
Original Xbox: 32cm (w) x 10cm (h) x 26cm (d)

Now from my calculations I get these dimensions for the XboxOne: 29.5cm (w) x 7.5cm (h) x 24.7cm (d)

Note that the scale difference between the left and right picture is about 2.111*

5D9MdIh.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58701913&postcount=545

Which puts it smaller than the OG 360. We don't have official size specs right now though so speculation is all we can do until somebody with a measuring tape actually holds the thing.

Size is not the problem, it's an average between the 360 and the PS3 and the hyperbole about its size is not warranted, it's just idiotic.

Hedja

This thing just got more huge than it already is.

Mandatory installs -> External HDD
Huge mandatory Kinect 2.0
Enormous console
Cable box to use its main feature (watching TV)
Massive power brick

Probably need an AA recharger nearby too for the controller.

What's next? "All-in-One". Right.

How are people confused whether or not the XBone has an internal or external power supply? The power connector they showed at the unveil is literally EXACTLY the same as the one on the 360 slim.

4714121215_148cf2e37c_b_back.jpg

20130522-163113.jpg

Sean

Banned
It's actually become my hobby surfing here nowadays. People tripping over themselves spinning everything MS does as a negative when some of the announcements are to address what the same people are bitching about in the first place.

I've been a member for a while but I must not have been here during the last console launches because this place feels like a completely different site.

GAF was like this during the last console transition too (except the forum was a lot smaller then).

I remember people photoshopping yellow stripes on the 360's power brick to make it look like the ghost trap from Ghostbusters (lol), people shitting on the graphics capabilities and calling out "Wall Guy" from Perfect Dark Zero, freaking out over the $399 price announcement, all sorts of things. Then Sony announced $599 and people started piling on them too. I'm sure some of those threads are in the forum archive.

After a while this craziness will die down.

Drek

OMG LOOK AT THE POWER BRICK THATS GOING TO SIT BEHIND MY TV THAT NOBODYS GOING TO SEE! LOL BONE!!

You're grasping at straws when?

Sit behind the TV putting out heat, yes.

A well designed console accounts for all that in it's own cooling footprint. Shoving the power supply on an external brick is cost cutting design that passes the (relatively small but still real) buck to consumers.

It also makes minimalist interior design a bit more of a problem since you need to hide the brick somewhere.

In short, it gives consumers nothing in return for the company getting to bail out on more efficient heat design.

Eh. It's not a big deal. As long as the console is reliable it won't bother me. But I would prefer it to be internal. It's just neater.

Pretty sure it's a prototype and that the PSU is built in... the tear down shots show a console that is about 30% smaller than it should be... You can tell by the inputs in the shots on the back. The inputs stretch to cover the entire tear down, but when put together, the inputs cover about 60% of the unit, so it's likely that at least 20% of that remaining amount is PSU.

Sit behind the TV putting out heat, yes.

A well designed console accounts for all that in it's own cooling footprint. Shoving the power supply on an external brick is cost cutting design that passes the (relatively small but still real) buck to consumers.

It also makes minimalist interior design a bit more of a problem since you need to hide the brick somewhere.

In short, it gives consumers nothing in return for the company getting to bail out on more efficient heat design.

"gives consumers nothing"
"cost cutting"

Fox Mulder

I would prefer to have internal power supplies, but many consoles dont.

I wonder if MS would ever do it again after the first xbox had power supply problems and the heating issues of the 360. Maybe they'll actually make a console that doesnt have some crazy flaw.

Is an external power supply really a big deal?

I understand the anti-Xbone mentality of gaf, but really? it's not that serious.

throw that bitch on the floor and be done with it.

Shambles

How about a well designed piece of hardware that doesn't fail? Is that to much to ask for?

Why engineer something well when you can cut as many corners as possible and throw a broken product out the door? Having an external PSU sure didn't prevent RRoD. Power bricks are a sign that the rest of the design was probably done poorly as well.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This thing just got more huge than it already is.

Mandatory installs -> External HDD
Huge mandatory Kinect 2.0
Enormous console
Cable box to use its main feature (watching TV)
Massive power brick

Probably need an AA recharger nearby too for the controller.

What's next? "All-in-One". Right.

lol please. SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Hyperbole everywhere.

I think the biggest issue with the power brick is if it gets lost or damaged, its much more costly to replace. A 360 Slim power brick at GamStop is $40 used and very rare to find. A PS3 power cord is $5 new and very easy to find.

I think this is where Sony's edge in electrical expertise helps. I'm sure the PS4 will have an internal power supply because they always say that matters to them. They even bothered to get rid if the PS2 Slim's power supply in a later updated version.

pixlexic

Banned
I don't get it? You guys s don't want a power brick ? what if your psu hardware burns out? Would you rather have the ability to go to the store and replace it or send your whole console in for repairs?

Um... so?

I hate having to fit the thing behind the TV, I suppose, but this is probably one of the least offensive things about the new Xbox.

dcard

HOLY SHIT IT HAS A POWER BRICK AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN MAKE IT WITH THE GOLDEN RATIO!!!!!!

I just envision all of you haters frowny faced and clumsily fumbling around with the brick like you're on an infomercial. The best gaming rig in my house is a big ass dusty tower that sits under my desk. I don't know about you guys, but when I play games I look at the fucking screen. Sheesh.

I think the biggest issue with the power brick is if it gets lost or damaged, its much more costly to replace. A 360 Slim power brick at GamStop is $40 used and very rare to find. A PS3 power cord is $5 new and very easy to find.

I think this is where Sony's edge in electrical expertise helps. I'm sure the PS4 will have an internal power supply because they always say that matters to them. They even bothered to get rid if the PS2 Slim's power supply in a later updated version.

Now you're reaching, how would you lose it?

If it gets damaged, send it off for repair etc.

RaidenZR

HOLY SHIT IT HAS A POWER BRICK AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN MAKE IT WITH THE GOLDEN RATIO!!!!!!

I just envision all of you haters frowny faced and clumsily fumbling around with the brick like you're on an infomercial. The best gaming rig in my house is a big ass dusty tower that sits under my desk. I don't know about you guys, but when I play games I look at the fucking screen. Sheesh.

Some of us don't have infinite space in our living room/media centers/tv area.

I'm seeing a lot more hyperbole from the "OMG SO WHAT IF IT HAS A POWER BRICK!" than the crowd complaining it has a power brick. People complaining about it just sound like they are saying "well that's disappointing...". Lets try to not act like anybody is fervently upset over it.

Now you're reaching, how would you lose it?

If it gets damaged, send it off for repair etc.
I'm not reaching. I work at GameStop and we get lots of people in these situations. The damage isn't always the system's fault. Sometimes people's dogs chew the cable, for example. And people lose stuff. I don't get how that one is reaching. If you move, you're bound to lose something. I'm not saying this is something that will affect most people. I just think they should have been able to do away with this and its a little disappointing that they didnt.

I'm not reaching. I work at GameStop and we get lots of people in these situations. The damage isn't always the system's fault. Sometimes people's dogs chew the cable, for example. And people lose stuff. I don't get how that one is reaching. If you move, you're bound to lose something. I'm not saying this is something that will affect most people. I just think they should have been able to do away with this and its a little disappointing that they didnt.

Fair enough, I understand now you have explained it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I don't get it? You guys s don't want a power brick ? what if your psu hardware burns out? Would you rather have the ability to go to the store and replace it or send your whole console in for repairs?
What about option 3? Order the part on ebay and replace it.

The only reason the power brick worries me is because it seems like they may have made it external due to heat issues. Wasn't there rumours MS were having some form of hardware issues which was putting them behind schedule? I just hope this isn't 360 2.0.

Other then that its a little messy but who cares. If you've got enough room for a console that size you should be able to find some room for that power supply. It isn't even that big. But I can see why people would prefer it to be internal.

Top Bottom