• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One practically unusable without day one update

Vashetti

Banned
Apparently the day 1 update is you literally downloading the entire OS.

That's why the console won't function otherwise.

alterno69

Banned
This will be an issue in places like Mexico, i know a lot of people with current gen consoles who have never even configured the wifi link. I expect lots of headaches day one.

Even if we already knew this, i still think it's moronic to ship a console that can't play games out of the box period.

this is going to be a fucking disaster at launch

With as much as Microsoft has touted "infinite power of the cloud" and their Hundreds of thousands of Azure servers, it would be absolutely embarrassing if it really is a disaster at launch.

I would be shocked if Xbox One users had any major issues downloading the update at launch. I think the issues will be limited to your own download speeds.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Juh? So people are to unbox their console in the store, and set it up there? lol wut? Am I interpretting this wrong?

Because shitlords don't understand, buy it, and go home. Then they bring it back to the store instead of figuring out what's wrong, and the poor GS employee has to talk to their ass while it patches. Which will SUCK for the employee.

Arulan

I posted this in the dashboard thread but I think it's still relevant.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...4d2ff0-487d-11e3-95a9-3f15b5618ba8_story.html

During a private 45-minute presentation showcasing the console’s media and entertainment capabilities, about 10 of 45 voice commands issued had to be repeated by a Microsoft spokesman — some as many as four times. Kinect didn’t immediately detect such orders as “Xbox, watch ESPN” and “Xbox, Bing movies with Sandra Bullock” during the demo.

Moosichu

And why would anyone skip day-one updates to the launch games? This seems to be a really dumb distinction to make, as if it seriously matters to anyone buying a next-gen console on day-one. I mean, who wouldn't update when every internet-connected device you can buy today pretty much offers day-one firmware/OS updates?

But on PS4 at least you can start playing as soon as it is plugged in while it downloads the update in the background... That is the main difference.

Put it this way, even if PSN's download speeds are as slow ass as people claim the PS3 version of PSN is, or the servers crap up constantly because everyone is trying to connect at the same time, I can still have the update running in the background while playing games on the PS4 while I am at the whim of how smooth or rough the download would go on XBL before I can even play any game.

Yeah, I guess waiting twenty to thirty minutes would kill someone somewhere in the world over this incredibly minor delay and standard procedure when hooking up and using brand new CE devices and software. Always gotta be some kind of mole hill turned into a mountain around here, I guess.

Skeff

Assuming the file size is somewhere around 1.5gb, here are the estimated download times per connection speed:

Times are in HH:MM:SS

Code:
1.024 Mbps			03:15:18
1.544 Mbps 			02:09:32
2.048 Mbps 			01:37:39
10 Mbps				00:20:00
25.6 Mbps 			00:07:48
34 Mbps				00:05:52
45 Mbps				00:04:26
51 Mbps				00:03:55
100 Mbps			00:02:00

So about a 20 minute wait of not doing anything for the average user.

With as much as Microsoft has touted "infinite power of the cloud" and their Hundreds of thousands of Azure servers, it would be absolutely embarrassing if it really is a disaster at launch.

I would be shocked if Xbox One users had any major issues downloading the update at launch. I think the issues will be limited to your own download speeds.

yeah, would be pretty surprised too knowing a bit about Azure. But hey, launch woes happens to everythign.

PBY

Banned
This is stupid. Don't know the engineering challenges involved, but this seems like a bad way to ship a product.

Donos

Because shitlords don't understand, buy it, and go home. Then they bring it back to the store instead of figuring out what's wrong, and the poor GS employee has to talk to their ass while it patches. Which will SUCK for the employee.

Alot of stores do really easy and dumb shit for a premium. "We do the complicated firmwareupgrade for your Android Phone for just 29.99". You always have some Granny just paying that.

And why would anyone skip day-one updates to the launch games? This seems to be a really dumb distinction to make, as if it seriously matters to anyone buying a next-gen console on day-one. I mean, who wouldn't update when every internet-connected device you can buy today pretty much offers day-one firmware/OS updates?

We had this arguement months ago, some people don't like the idea of an unplayable console being sold. We'll see what happens come launch day when you can't use the machine without a patch, see if it's a press story

LTWheels

this is going to be a fucking disaster at launch

Is it?

If you think about the number of consoles that will be sold on day 1, 1.5m?

Xbox Live currently handles millions of 360 connected downloading an update.

It's not like 8m people are all trying to play Sim City or Diablo all at the same time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Alot of stores du really easy and dumb shit for a premium. "We do the complicated firmwareupgrade for your Android Phone for just 29.99"

I can bet the GS employees are going to get it raw dog style though, they roll over for the consumer a LOT despite having business practices that are cutthroat.

patapuf

They've said from the very beginning that an Xbox one needs an internet connection to work.

You don't need it all the time anymore but you still need one.

Steroyd

Yeah, I guess waiting twenty to thirty minutes would kill someone somewhere in the world over this incredibly minor delay and standard procedure when hooking up and using brand new CE devices and software. Always gotta be some kind of mole hill turned into a mountain around here, I guess.

Sony got a lot of shit for the installation procedure of their games on PS3, granted on a per game basis is much much worse than a one time download, but people really just want to plug n' play their stuff.

And there's no guarantee it will just be 20-30 minutes, if there's connection issues day one, that's another aspect that have people worried.

Nibel

And Wii U was shit at launch without the day 1 patch and PS4 will be shit at launch without the day 1 patch

Let's not make a big fuss here people

All these day one patches have me concerned for both consoles. Are the firmware updates completed yet? I can just see it now, bugs and crashes everywhere!

Not a fan of early adopters being beta testers.

Majmun

And Wii U was shit at launch without the day 1 patch and PS4 will be shit at launch without the day 1 patch

Let's not make a big fuss here people

You can play with the WiiU and Ps4 without the patch.

X1 needs the patch before it can function.

Is it?

It's not like 8m people are all trying to play Sim City or Diablo all at the same time.

True, but what if there's an issue with the patch? Chances are things will be fine but it seems like a dangerous game to ship a console that can't play games without a 1GB+ patch.

Raist

Banned
All these day one patches have me concerned for both consoles. Are the firmware updates completed yet? I can just see it now, bugs and crashes everywhere!

Not a fan of early adopters being beta testers.

No idea about XB1, but PS4's FW1.5 was live at some time and people downloaded it. They took it down eventually though.

Sony got a lot of shit for the installation procedure of their games, granted on a per game basis is much much worse than a one time download, but people really just want to plug n' play their stuff.

I guess I don't know what to say except that some people are ignoring that the modern CE device and internet-connected game is like this across the board, maybe even worse than this sounds like. Guess we'll see what kind of non-story this turns out to be at launch.

Is it?

What about the people that don't know about the update and have a shitty internet connection? You know, the same people that were pissed about the whole DRM situation in the first place?

Oxirane

Whatever the size of the patch, people (including the gaming press) will report it as ten times larger. I got a bit worried last year hearing about the '6 GB' update for the Wii U.

Ugh both consoles need day one patches. Both are doing updates until release. How would they get the patches on the discs when they were already printed.

Can someone please explain to me why this concept isn't understood?

Nibel

You can play with the WiiU and Ps4 without the patch.

X1 needs the patch before it can function.

ibkReSbObOisxk.gif

Okay, I take everything back; thank you based Beysus

So basically what Xbox One buyers receive is the console with the original vision :lol

who cares? the update is there day one, so no one has to use it in its "unusable" state

Except for this mythical person that's really into technology and wants to buy an X1 on launch, but is also so anti-technology that they've shunned the internet and don't see the point of having access to it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Wouldn't it be a great hack if someone redirected MS patch servers to PS4s trying to download their Day 1 patch and vice versa for XBOs? HiLARious!

x-Lundz-x

They couldn't fit 1GB patch on a Blu Ray disc? wtf?

These consoles have been in production for months, they have been working on the patch during this same time. There is no way for it to be in the box at launch. Once the patch is finalized units made after that time frame would be able to have a disc included if MS chose to do so, or the boxes would just come pre-loaded with the new firmware.

I was under the impression that MS already said this a long time ago.

Time to rage about it has passed people.

Like A. Orth once said, #DealWithIt

EDIT: Just so ppl don't misunderstand, I think this is ridiculous. You should launch a console with at least basic functionality (aka play games), but it's to late to rage about this now. Just let it go.

Oppo

There must be something out there to download currently, though. I have a friend who has access to an Xbox one through his job, he's been playing Killer Instinct on it.

No idea about XB1, but PS4's FW1.5 was live at some time and people downloaded it. They took it down eventually though.

Well I hope it's ready for prime time. There were stories all the time about PS3s bricking after installing a firmware update. Fortunately, I never had that issue. Can you imagine how much that would suck having your PS4 bricked after installing the update and not being able to return it for a new one? *knocks on wood*

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
By the time that patch is ready to be deployed, millions of consoles will be packaged and on their way to stores. Game discs are also certified long time ago, their content is fixed.

So its download from the web is the only choice.

Couldn't they just give out a disk whenever someone buys the console? They don't have to be in the fucking box.

Top Bottom