• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Preview Update August 2014 (1408)

Chitown B

Really is. I wish it would also stream games.

that makes sense with the PSVita because it's self-contained and has buttons. With a tablet, you'll also need a controller, and to be close enough for the controller to get a connection with the system. So, in the same room. In which case, why wouldn't you just play on the TV?

operon

Looking forward to using this new update, I started using onedrive for watching my stuff since you mentioned it Albert but this will be brillant

mrklaw

MrArseFace
am I right in thinking the streaming TV will be limited to the USB TV tuner? Surely streaming anything hooked up to your HDMI would be too fuzzy legally? And most DVRs have HDCP enabled I think? (certainly my Tivo does). I would love to be wrong though - if I could watch Tivo recorded shows on my tablet I would buy five Xbox ones :p

Chitown B

am I right in thinking the streaming TV will be limited to the USB TV tuner? Surely streaming anything hooked up to your HDMI would be too fuzzy legally? And most DVRs have HDCP enabled I think? (certainly my Tivo does). I would love to be wrong though - if I could watch Tivo recorded shows on my tablet I would buy five Xbox ones :p

Tivo streams directly to your tablets if you have the Roamio or Stream. It's fine.

I want to see this snap center in action. Sounds interesting.

I don't think there would be any legal issues. Especially since it's limited to your in home network.

Won't ever happen officially. We can only get it via an app like VLC.

A guy on my friends list is one of the higher ups in Microsoft retail and he was at Sony for the launch of PlayStation 3 as well. He told me the reason we will never see MKV support on either console is simply cost. It apparently costs a loooooooooooooot of money to get all these codecs supported on the consoles apparently.

I asked "So why can't Sony? They already have MKV support on their TVs and Bluray players". He said you pay per device. So Sony would have to pay again on PS4.

So although we know Microsoft would sell a LOT of units on the back of MKV support, I guess they don't think it would be enough to justify the cost of adding the support.

Ouch

see5harp

Won't ever happen officially. We can only get it via an app like VLC.

A guy on my friends list is one of the higher ups in Microsoft retail and he was at Sony for the launch of PlayStation 3 as well. He told me the reason we will never see MKV support on either console is simply cost. It apparently costs a loooooooooooooot of money to get all these codecs supported on the consoles apparently.

I asked "So why can't Sony? They already have MKV support on their TVs and Bluray players". He said you pay per device. So Sony would have to pay again on PS4.

So although we know Microsoft would sell a LOT of units on the back of MKV support, I guess they don't think it would be enough to justify the cost of adding the support.

So apparently your friend is full of shit.

Ducayne

Sorry to ask this here, but just joined XboneGAF and would love to get into the preview updates.

Can someone add me on Live and invite me to this? Gamertag: Ducayne

Sorry if this is the wrong place - if possible, I'd love an invite to the preview program, if anyone has an invite to spare!

You can add me on Live @ MalpercioGoC.

Thanks a ton!!

Things like messages being snapped while your game continues to run even though you can't control it seems like an odd feature to me. If they could somehow let you use voice dictation to respond to messages all while continuing to control your game I could see it being really useful but as it sounds now this just seems like a great way to die in game while you type out a message.

Ape

Banned
Things like messages being snapped while your game continues to run even though you can't control it seems like an odd feature to me. If they could somehow let you use voice dictation to respond to messages all while continuing to control your game I could see it being really useful but as it sounds now this just seems like a great way to die in game while you type out a message.

you don't just snap during games, you can snap during a bunch of passive applications too. Video or music come to mind. Also, you can pause the game if you wan to :p

e: oh, are you saying that it should automatically pause the game?

It's up to us to ask so they can add stuff like this soon. Because once they do it's going to be amazing ^^

EvB

The Media player preview is out in the wild, but you need the next version of the preview dash for it to work

you don't just snap during games, you can snap during a bunch of passive applications too. Video or music come to mind. Also, you can pause the game if you wan to :p

e: oh, are you saying that it should automatically pause the game?

Yeah, it makes perfect sense if you're watching TV/Videos/ or listening to music but snapping a messaging app and taking control away from the game seems kind of pointless. What's the point of having the game still up? Auto-pausing would be the obvious change but in general snapping messages seems like a complicated solution to a problem that isn't even there.

Yeah, it makes perfect sense if you're watching TV/Videos/ or listening to music but snapping a messaging app and taking control away from the game seems kind of pointless. What's the point of having the game still up? Auto-pausing would be the obvious change but in general snapping messages seems like a complicated solution to a problem that isn't even there.

Multiplayer doesn't have a pause button.

Grinding out quests doesn't need your full attention.

Half of a text conversation is reading.

Is the preview tied to your console or Gamertag? I'm going to need to send my Xbox in for repairs soon and will end up getting a swap. Would I have to be reinvited into the program? Can I look back at the first message I got and redownload the dashboard app or something?

Ade

Is the preview tied to your console or Gamertag? I'm going to need to send my Xbox in for repairs soon and will end up getting a swap. Would I have to be reinvited into the program? Can I look back at the first message I got and redownload the dashboard app or something?

As your gamer tag is in the preview, you can simply enroll your new console in it.

Ape

Banned
have you guys been having any issues with chat headsets? the chat/game volume won't separate with the volume controls. every time i try to decrease the game volume to hear the chat it also decreases the chat volume, so it's useless. you guys experiencing the same thing? using the first party xbox one stereo headset.

have you guys been having any issues with chat headsets? the chat/game volume won't separate with the volume controls. every time i try to decrease the game volume to hear the chat it also decreases the chat volume, so it's useless. you guys experiencing the same thing? using the first party xbox one stereo headset.

I have the same problem with my old 360 Tritton headset that I use with my X1. Always thought it was because it wasn't compatible or something.

Top Bottom