• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Summer Update Preview (Cortana, new Game Library, Win10 app, more)

Rellik

No, if you wipe everything you'd need to re-enroll using the app associated with your gt. So if it's a clean Xbox it won't get the beta updates unless you re-enroll it.

Thanks for the answer.

I didn't want to risk my account or anything like that incase I was to buy a future Xbox like Scorpio.

ValeYard

The store suddenly won't load for me. Anyone getting this error 0x8000FFFF when trying to look at the store? It's since the most recent beta OS installed.

malfcn

Does the recent installed area also show patches?

Because I downloaded American Nightmare a long time ago and it just shows up again.

Alx

Now Cortana keeps answering me that she needs to wake up and will be ready in two minutes.
I'll avoid spouting sexist jokes out of it, but it's hard to resist the temptation. :p

How log does it take to change from pending to enrolled? I got the email a few days ago and changed to the latest Xbox one experience in the app but still no update :-(

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Cortana needs a bit of work. It's a coin flip if she thinks it's an Xbox command or if she thinks I want her to search the internet. I'm leaving feedback of course, but I'm starting to get annoyed every time she snaps Edge and shows me bing search results.

download speeds are ridiculously slow with this new update

and ea access doesn't work either which is annoying with the free play days going on right now even though in the patch notes it's allegedly fixed

Shylock

I was able to deal with Cortana being somewhat buggy, but it really burns me up that party support is again somehow jacked up. If you have > 10 people in a party, expect to deal with random disconnects, inability to join, or loss of chat audio.

CRAIG667

Strange, I've still not got the update...

I did receive an email from Xbox live saying I had to opt in or something in the preview app (which I did) but that was about a week ago...

Any ideas folks?

Alx

Btw I don't think they gave a release date for the full Anniversary update ? I expected something to be said during the E3 conference, but it seems to be no more specific than "coming soon".

link1201

So I just got an Xbox One again and I am in the preview program, have app downloaded, when is this update supposed to roll out for us?
Were you able to "select Preview – Latest Xbox One Experience."? If so see post above yours. If not it'll probably be a bit longer.

JaggedSac

Btw I don't think they gave a release date for the full Anniversary update ? I expected something to be said during the E3 conference, but it seems to be no more specific than "coming soon".

I would imagine it comes at same time as desktop and mobile anniversary release.

I actually don't like Cortana as much as the previous Xbox feature. It is longer to say 'Hey Cortana turn volume up" vs. "Xbox, volume up". It also takes longer to load because I believe it takes what I say, sends it to a server and then responds on my Xbox? Perhaps some basic commands could be local and others not? I have no idea how these type of things work but I just don't like the new setup despite Cortana being more versatile.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does being in the preview lock out some content? Trying to rent a movie for my daughter to watch with her friends and nothing has a rent/buy button next to it. I can see rent/buy in the web store but I don't know if that would work

Does being in the preview lock out some content? Trying to rent a movie for my daughter to watch with her friends and nothing has a rent/buy button next to it. I can see rent/buy in the web store but I don't know if that would work

The store is wonky as fuck right now. The buy button can take quite a while to appear, or not appear at all for me. DLC frequently won't appear for me as well. :\

I actually don't like Cortana as much as the previous Xbox feature. It is longer to say 'Hey Cortana turn volume up" vs. "Xbox, volume up". It also takes longer to load because I believe it takes what I say, sends it to a server and then responds on my Xbox? Perhaps some basic commands could be local and others not? I have no idea how these type of things work but I just don't like the new setup despite Cortana being more versatile.

You're right. Saying "hey Cortana" takes twice as long as saying "Xbox". This may not matter if you're doing something like inviting someone to a party, or launching a game, but when you're trying to pause video or take a screenshot, it's really noticeable. Cortana is also apparently taking longer for most commands than she should, but I have my doubts about how fast she'll be once it's fixed. I've too been wondering if these commands are being send out across the internet. If this is being done with basic system commands, then... wow.

Old setup:
"Xbox, take a screenshot" and the popup displays less than a second after I finish the last word.

Current setup:
"Hey Cortana, take a screenshot" and after a second or two you see her going through each word you just said, one at a time. After 5 seconds (I timed it, multiple times), the popup confirming the screenshot shows up. This is of course after a she gives me a Bing search for "Taken" a couple times.

The biggest issue I have with all of this is that I don't understand what the net gain is. Even if they get Cortana to work as fast as the old commands, you're still using a longer phrase for the same things. There were already commands in for a lot of the common things you might want Cortana for. If there was a need for more commands, why not just add more commands? Of course, I know what the answer probably is. People like the voice commands, but won't buy a Kinect. Cortana allows them to use their microphone. I feel like a built in microphone in the Xbox One S and Scorpio would have been a better solution though.

You're right. Saying "hey Cortana" takes twice as long as saying "Xbox". This may not matter if you're doing something like inviting someone to a party, or launching a game, but when you're trying to pause video or take a screenshot, it's really noticeable. Cortana is also apparently taking longer for most commands than she should, but I have my doubts about how fast she'll be once it's fixed. I've too been wondering if these commands are being send out across the internet. If this is being done with basic system commands, then... wow.

Old setup:
"Xbox, take a screenshot" and the popup displays less than a second after I finish the last word.

Current setup:
"Hey Cortana, take a screenshot" and after a second or two you see her going through each word you just said, one at a time. After 5 seconds (I timed it, multiple times), the popup confirming the screenshot shows up. This is of course after a she gives me a Bing search for "Taken" a couple times.

The biggest issue I have with all of this is that I don't understand what the net gain is. Even if they get Cortana to work as fast as the old commands, you're still using a longer phrase for the same things. There were already commands in for a lot of the common things you might want Cortana for. If there was a need for more commands, why not just add more commands? Of course, I know what the answer probably is. People like the voice commands, but won't buy a Kinect. Cortana allows them to use their microphone. I feel like a built in microphone in the Xbox One S and Scorpio would have been a better solution though.

The biggest gain is a reduction in false positives. It's way harder for the Xbox to mistakenly hear "Hey Cortana ..." than it is "Xbox". That said, I think the ideal situation is to support both trigger phrases, with an internal toggle. i.e. a setting like

Voice Command Key Phrase
"Hey Cortana"
"Xbox" (warning: false positives may be more common)

ValeYard

The store is super broken for me now. It is related to the language settings. I now don't have language and region matching, as the update allows. However, when set like this, the Store app can't find games.

Other than that, Cortana is an absolute nightmare. So much slower than the old Kinect commands. I tried changing TV channels with her, and she kept on snapping a window with internet searches.

I hope they work the kinks out by Fall, but it seems there is still a lot of work to do.

Yes I couldnt buy or rent movies either or even watch that free Southbound movie that was free last weekend on X1 had to turn on the 360 to do so.

Some people weren't able to get 360 games I heard though but I was able to get Tekken Tag on the X1 just fine so it might just be hit or miss.

Alx

It's not only about the number of commands or the reliability, but also user comfort. The point of Cortana is to support natural language, so that you feel more comfortable using regular sentences rather than key words. For example, I prefer by far saying "Hey Cortana, start my console" every morning than "Xbox on".
Of course it's mostly convenients for commands that don't need to be instantaneous, unlike "pause" or "take a snapshot". I think the best of both worlds would be to have both keyword-based commands for specific actions like those, and natural language for everything else (provided they fix the web search thing).

It's not only about the number of commands or the reliability, but also user comfort. The point of Cortana is to support natural language, so that you feel more comfortable using regular sentences rather than key words. For example, I prefer by far saying "Hey Cortana, start my console" every morning than "Xbox on".
Of course it's mostly convenients for commands that don't need to be instantaneous, unlike "pause" or "take a snapshot". I think the best of both worlds would be to have both keyword-based commands for specific actions like those, and natural language for everything else (provided they fix the web search thing).

I must be in the minority, but I feel weirder using natural speech and an actual person's name.

"Hey Cortana" doesn't take twice as long to say as "Xbox", they're actually pretty close at least for me, in the 2/3 to 3/4 of a second range to get the trigger word/phrase out. The responsiveness right now though is pretty inconsistent at best. When the commands work though they work really well. "hey Cortana play rainbow six siege" is sooo much better than "Xbox, go to Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege" The party commands are also a ridiculous quality of life improvement.

Game DVR stuff needs a ton of work though. And I guess that goes for anything that needs to be decently responsive. I don't know if they have an answer there. If the Cortana servers are overwhelmed at times, and you can't trust it to record your clip within a second consistently, then you just can't use the command. It's so bad right now that I've actually learned and used the controller shortcut for "record that" for the first time ever.

velociraptor

The UI needs a complete overhaul. The current dashboard is so, so bad. The fact I can't get download speeds and an ETA on my downloads is also baffling. I'm kinda shocked at how bad the UI for the XBO is, especially after the 360 was ok.

JaggedSac

The UI needs a complete overhaul. The current dashboard is so, so bad. The fact I can't get download speeds and an ETA on my downloads is also baffling. I'm kinda shocked at how bad the UI for the XBO is, especially after the 360 was ok.

Those are two strange things to complain about in this thread, lol.

Trup1aya

I wonder if there are running different builds because Cortana is working far better for me that the old system.

It was rocky (slow, sometimes opening browser instead of following commands) when I first tried, but I did a hard reboot, but false positives are non existent and it's much faster.

Speaking conversationally is much better than trying to remember commands.

One thing I wish they'd add is support for changing channels by saying the channel number...there are like 5 Disney channels, but only the main station gets positive hits.

Lol

rob305

No. How do I 'enter' the preview? Judging from the pics it doesn't appear to be any improvements in general navigation either.

Google it. Just a heads up, the preview has exactly what youre asking for, download speeds and ETA. This was bugging me out so bad

malfcn

Buying the Crew is Strange. It says I have multiple addresses on file and wants to update them. It shows my address twice, and a friend who logged in one, but deleted his gamertag, address twice as well.

Bought the Crew from app. Dashboard says owned but went download. And store page wants me to buy it again.

Has anyone else had issues installing games from EA Access since the summer preview, I can play the games already installed but if I try to install a new one it just takes me to the store and the only option I seem to have is to purchase the game at full price?

Alx

Yes I think that's a known issue, you can circumvent it by using the "ready to install" list in My Games & Apps, where the games form the vault should appear at least.

Alx

I don't know if it's because of the game or the OS update, but Xbox Fitness wouldn't let me access some programs I bought and even downloaded on my console (it did work yesterday). The P90x training appear as locked, and there's a message "marketplace unavailable" on the customization button. Bummer.

flipme

Neo Member
My kids were playing Minecraft and Cortana came to life. My 10 year old says " go away" so she starts "Alan wake."

Apparently two hours of survival building lost and another thumbs down for Cortana.

EBE

I don't know if it's because of the game or the OS update, but Xbox Fitness wouldn't let me access some programs I bought and even downloaded on my console (it did work yesterday). The P90x training appear as locked, and there's a message "marketplace unavailable" on the customization button. Bummer.

i'll check this out later see if i have the same problem

Top Bottom