• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

So Kinect is the system? Gotcha
No... Skype requires the camera.
Auto sign-in by face recognition requires the camera.
Motion gaming requires the camera.

Starting the Xbox One doesn't require the Kinect.
Binding a controller doesn't require the Kinect.
Signing in doesn't require the Kinect.
Starting a game/application doesn't require the Kinect.

There you go, Kinect isn't the system.

I'm not sure how you snap an application without Kinect, but I'm sure it takes a few more steps than just saying "Xbox snap X".
So yeah, some features are easier with Kinect. But the product includes Kinect, so...

It's getting to the point where I almost feel sorry for Microsoft. They change the direction of their console design so fast they should change the name to Xbox All Over The Place. From online required, to not. Kinect a must, but you can turn it off. To the whole DRM reversal. I am worried that all of these designs changes are going to lead to a weaker platform for them. They received tons of shit for the direction they were trying to go, but a least have some determination to stay the course a little bit.

To me they're just getting rid of the goofy stuff.

24 hour check in
Can't use the console without Kinect
No headset despite being known for including a headset

All of those are head-scratcher decisions. Its still the same console they just got rid of the goofy stuff.

DBT85

After all that noise, I wonder how many X1 owners will bother plugging it in and out depending on their needs... I'd bet that most people will just keep it always connected out of laziness.

I imagine a whole host never plug it in at all. Some will plug it in at launch to see what it does. Some will keep it plugged in.

VanWinkle

Screw the hate MS keep Kinect 2 bundled! Distiguish yourself, K2 seems to be amazing, don't fucking cave in.

Skype and all your proprietary experiences will add a lot more prestige and perceived value to the X1 than the gfx difference people will see between you and your rival.

Don't lose focus! Don't cave, screw the kinect hate I want it!

IF you drop the price keep the fucking kinect! lol

Ehh I'm sure PS4 will have some kind of video chat as well. As for the voice commands, who knows whether PS4 will do that or not.

FireVoa

So once (if) Microsoft removes Kinect from the Xbox One SKU instead of having it as a mandatory thing, will they finally be on equal grounds with the PS4?

Edit: Forgot the price tag issue, but I assume without Kinect the price would drop too.

Kinyou

To me they're just getting rid of the goofy stuff.

24 hour check in
Can't use the console without Kinect
No headset despite being known for including a headset

All of those are head-scratcher decisions. Its still the same console they just got rid of the goofy stuff.
And they made some changes to self-publishing as well, right?

Overall they just seem to go back to Xbox 360 model

Screw the hate MS keep Kinect 2 bundled! Distiguish yourself, K2 seems to be amazing, don't fucking cave in.

Skype and all your proprietary experiences will add a lot more prestige and perceived value to the X1 than the gfx difference people will see between you and your rival.

Don't lose focus! Don't cave, screw the kinect hate I want it!

IF you drop the price keep the fucking kinect! lol]

Lol, Skype is on Vita as well. Obviously added a lot of prestige and success to that platform!

VanWinkle

So once (if) Microsoft removes Kinect from the Xbox One SKU instead of having it as a mandatory thing, will they finally be on equal grounds with the PS4?

The same way PS3 and 360 are, it would seem. Still very different, but both seems good choices for core gamers.

RayMaker

Banned
I suppose you can sell it if you really didnt want it, but even the most die hard kinect non supporter will appreciate functions like automatic signs in, voice control, etc

These sought of things will let even the most hardcore non waggle gamer get to and enjoy there games more quickly and with less hassle, kinda of how apple reinvented mobile web browsing and overall OS navigation. Tons of people said back then ''who needs touch screens when we have buttons'' ''OMG like a button or roller baller is so much harder then a touchscreen'', and now look at the mobile industry all those naysayers most likely have at least 1 android,WP or IOS device.

Camera and voice controls are only going to get more supported and more widespread, it is the future, even tv's now have integrated cameras in them which enable motion control.

Didnt apple buy the original company that made kinect? Is seems the next logical evolution in control. After all we have seen the possibilities of the tech in programs and films like star trek, minority report,avatar prometheus,A.I and many others.

Embrace change, embrace the future.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Ehh I'm sure PS4 will have some kind of video chat as well. As for the voice commands, who knows whether PS4 will do that or not.

Kinect should allow for way more distinguishing features/functions.

Not just in games but in user interaction with the OS/Apps

Lol, Skype is on Vita as well. Obvioulsy added a lot of prestige and success to that platform!

It wouldn't be limited to just skyping, it's alot more than that

Also how can you even compare skype on Vita vs K2 skyping? C'mon now.

Satchel

Banned
This console will end up a slow burn at best now.

Those who wanted the original vision are now meh and the "masses" aren't aware of the 180s anyway.

I've spoken to a lot of people who still ask "Doesn't the new Xbox need me to connect to the internet every 24 hours".

If there's one cue Microsoft should have taken from Sony, its by sticking to their vision and talking up the strengths like they did with PS3.

BigDug13

Equal grounds with weaker multiplat performance and less first party studio support, yes. Oh and weaker value in their Paywall features.

Sean*O

$399 with Kinect that can be removed and placed in the closet until it's time to use, and no BS like 'Kinect Required' for every game from MS Studios. They are playing with fire on this one. They need to offer value at $399 with the kinect but not force it.

farisr

If they made the price cheaper than the PS4, why would it still coming with Kinect be a negative?

Read the post, he said before launch.The person you responded to didn't think it is plausible that MS could sell the system for $350-400 pricetag before launch with the Kinect bundled in.

nib95

Banned
Please Microsoft, just un-bundle the damn thing, give people a cheaper price and be happy with all the extra sales!

Yep.

180 1: online check in relaxed, game selling/sharing etc to be like on the 360
180 2: indie game devs can self publish
180 3: headset included with every system
180 4: Kinect no longer mandatory for system operation

Two more and we'll have a full 1080.

180 5: 399 price drop...
180 6: Apps not behind paywall..

......Keeps on dreaming

ZeroGravity

Good progress, but Microsoft basically has until the time I can afford a PS4 to offer a Kinect-free SKU at a cheaper price to keep me as an Xbox owner. Otherwise, not happening.

Dlacy13g

Its a good move for those who had privacy concerns.

I think the biggest thing MS needs to address now is Xbox LIve Gold and what its going to offer with Xbox One and Xbox 360 to compete with PSN+ games offer. Their current game give away ends in December and is only for Xbox 360 owners. What happens in 2014?

DBT85

So you don't need Gold? If true then I'm more than happy to be corrected here.

Hell, I'm even flexible on this. But I think that if a Gold sub is required for a free-to-play game than those games should come with special starter packs that are more than you'd get if you started on a truly free multiplayer platform. So a Gold starter kit worth, what $10 of in-game currency items more than you'd get on PC? I could work with that.

I do believe (though honestly it could have changed) that even F2P games need Gold.

Looks like they do expect minds to be changed by early adopters getting quality time with Kinect 2. Launch buyers who give it a try might feel like they're glad it was bundled in, and that would help drive more adoption.

Now if that *doesn't* happen? Welp. But its way too early to call.

I've always been a fan of an optional-Kinect for OS purposes. Don't see much use in gaming, although I'm sure there are a few natural fits like fitness, dancing games, voice controlled RTS or a Black & White game, etc.

I do believe (though honestly it could have changed) that even F2P games need Gold.
That's how I understand things to be right now too. Its hilariously backwards and just as insane as requiring Gold for IE/Netflix, etc. Those have to go.

Its also in the bone's best interest for them to go as the case can be made to non-gamers to pick one up purely for media capabilities.

Corto

One thing we have to give to Microsoft. They react very quickly and aptly. I'm starting to think they won't be shy to lose more money upfront in order to lower Xbox One retail price to PS4 levels. This will be their RROD moment of this gen. And they have the means to completely turn it around again.

VanWinkle

Kinect should allow for way more distinguishing features/functions.

Not just in games but in user interaction with the OS/Apps

Yeah, it may get some unique features in games, OS, and apps. Who knows. We will have to wait and see. So far we haven't seen anything incredible about the Kinect in real world functions on the Xbox One. We have seen the cool tech demo, but that's about it. Developers are going to know that many gamers aren't going to want to use some of the interesting things it does, so it will make it optional or have that same functionality also mapped to controller inputs.

Prologue

We still believe in Kinect. We aren’t interested in splitting the development base. The more demos I’ve seen, the more I’ve used it – the more impressed I am. The team feels strongly about Kinect, and I hope we’re able to prove that when you use it.

We also have a ton of privacy settings to allow people to turn off the camera, or microphones, or put it in a state just for “Xbox On” and IR blasting – there will be a lot of user control for that.

The thing we all understood, and hence this change, is that there are some scenarios where people just may not be comfortable. We wanted people to be 100% comfortable, so we allow the sensor to be unplugged. And clearly the “it dropped” scenario is possible.

The most obvious thing is watching a DVD/BD, or streaming a movie, or HDMI pass-through, your experience isn’t impacted (except you miss voice and IR blasting)

There is no “gotcha”, but obviously, if there is a game that REQUIRES Kinect (like Rivals), or something where Kinect IS the experience (like Skype), those won’t work.

That said, for people who have privacy concerns there are user control settings, which we believe are great.

Sounds great :). Another point for the ONE.

vcc

They also need to retool their production lines and system for a new APU and GDDR5 then hire a more competent PR team and cultivate a large stable of well regarded first party studios.

Aside from that, XB1 and PS4 are much closer now but Microsoft did burn a lot of good will and being on equal footing doesn't buy that back. They have to do it better.

Bedlam

Why couldn't they say that in the first place. Jesus Christ.
Because they probably came up with that in the last two weeks or so.

lol

One thing we have to give to Microsoft. They react very quickly and aptly. I'm starting to think they won't be shy to lose more money upfront in order to lower Xbox One retail price to PS4 levels. This will be their RROD moment of this gen. And they have the means to completely turn it around again.
Well, the Xbone is definitely a better product (in my opinion) after all those 180s but MS also appears extremely insecure these days. You can tell they don't really believe in their own "vision."

After all these twists and turns, I'll definitely wait a couple of years before getting an Xbone. Who knows what kind of console it'll be in the near future (probably not even MS).

Sounds like Xbox was NEVER going to be for you.

Pretty much, for the simple fact that it would have felt as though I was purchasing a console where it basically has limited function for my country.(Scotland,UK.)

The features interest me but they are not available to me. Also as I've stated before on other threads, if they had properly done the TV ecosystem thing then it would have made a huge differance.

This console will end up a slow burn at best now.

Those who wanted the original vision are now meh and the "masses" aren't aware of the 180s anyway.

The masses know next to nothing about both consoles as it stands. All this internet drama means nothing to the longevity of these consoles.

p3tran

Banned
We still believe in Kinect. We aren’t interested in splitting the development base. The more demos I’ve seen, the more I’ve used it – the more impressed I am. The team feels strongly about Kinect, and I hope we’re able to prove that when you use it.

We also have a ton of privacy settings to allow people to turn off the camera, or microphones, or put it in a state just for “Xbox On” and IR blasting – there will be a lot of user control for that.

The thing we all understood, and hence this change, is that there are some scenarios where people just may not be comfortable. We wanted people to be 100% comfortable, so we allow the sensor to be unplugged. And clearly the “it dropped” scenario is possible.

The most obvious thing is watching a DVD/BD, or streaming a movie, or HDMI pass-through, your experience isn’t impacted (except you miss voice and IR blasting)

There is no “gotcha”, but obviously, if there is a game that REQUIRES Kinect (like Rivals), or something where Kinect IS the experience (like Skype), those won’t work.

That said, for people who have privacy concerns there are user control settings, which we believe are great.

I am good with this.
And I think that most of the percentage of people that had privacy concerns are about covered now.

I am willing to pay for another kinect (I bought one when it released for 360), just to give this opportunity microsoft asks for some nice innovation in games etc.

Also, I think that kinect will be in its best when you guys bring out oculus or something like that on the platform.

All in all, good job on taking feedback and using it in a correct way. I'm back

Its a good move for those who had privacy concerns.

Exactly and that's probably all it is. They'd be insane to split the user base now -- the console will be sold out through the end of the year anyway.

If Kinect is as good as they say it is, word of mouth will get out and the detractors will potentially change their tune. If not, they can look into a Kinect-less SKU in 2014.

maverick40

How are people excited for this console? Microsoft are making things up as they go along. There is no confidence whatsoever.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Yeah, it may get some unique features in games, OS, and apps. Who knows. We will have to wait and see. So far we haven't seen anything incredible about the Kinect in real world functions on the Xbox One. We have seen the cool tech demo, but that's about it. Developers are going to know that many gamers aren't going to want to use some of the interesting things it does, so it will make it optional or have that same functionality also mapped to controller inputs.

I hope they keep it in even if they price drop. Unlikely but would be great if they did

Top Bottom