• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not that bothered with Kinect jacking up the price, although it might still influence my purchasing decision. Being able to unplug it is a step in the right direction however.

I'm not that bothered with Kinect jacking up the price, although it might still influence my purchasing decision. Being able to unplug it is a step in the right direction however.

I just thought of something. What if a retailer or people online started selling xboxes without kinect for cheaper. Would be a cool way to get one at a lower price.

medze

I just thought of something. What if a retailer or people online started selling xboxes without kinect for cheaper. Would be a cool way to get one at a lower price.

Not sure why someone would spend 500$ to turn around and sell it for 400$. Especially when there will be nearly zero demand for a Kinect 2 by itself.

Did people seriously believe X1 would NOT function if you unplugged Kinect?

On what planet do you live on for this to make any common sense at all?

People believe what they want to believe to suit their needs, I interpreted MS original statement(which was not crystal clear) to mean exactly what it means......that Kinect functionality will not work without Kinect plugged in.......anything other than that defies logic and common sense.

lol at these posts.

An actual member of the Xbox One development team has posted in this thread acknowledging that was their policy prior to this change.

jim2011

Not sure why someone would spend 500$ to turn around and sell it for 400$. Especially when there will be nearly zero demand for a Kinect 2 by itself.

Believe it or not, there are people that sell wii u's console and gamepad separately on ebay.

Alx

They would only do that if they could also sell the kinect on its own, and have both sales make them more than the original cost. But nobody would be interested in buying a standalone kinect, apart from a few hobbyist developers, if/when it gets hacked.

cyrok

Probably already said but this is a huge win for all gamers out there. It shows that they can't just ram whatever they want down our throats and we'll just take it.

The Crazy DRM, Always Online, and a Live Camera into our homes.

Since it's apparent that we all hated it, wanted nothing to do with any of those things, and (I'm more than sure) showed up on their pre-order numbers how they arn't doing as well as they thought, they had to reevaluate their policies and practices and go back to what we want in a gaming console.

And that, my friends, is another Win for the Gamer. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Did people seriously believe X1 would NOT function if you unplugged Kinect?

On what planet do you live on for this to make any common sense at all?

Oh, so MS were just sitting though this shitstorm for no reason? They just forgot to mention you didn't need to plug in your kinect. Gosh,they could have saved themselves so much pain if they'd only mentioned it earlier..

p3tran

Banned
Oh, well on that point I completely agree, unless they have some incredible stuff to show at Gamescom.

I have a feeling they might

Have something kinect to show I mean

I make no predictions on its quality

Well, lets see.. Ryse was dropped from being a kinect game to being a normal game (hint 1)
The kinect sports game took a break and wont be available day 1 (hint 2)

In my opinion, the "killer app" for kinect is ready, microsoft did it already as they told us some time ago.
Problem is, its not game related. Its the API for kinect they made for advertizing use. ;)

Your prediction my friend, if you are afraid to predict the quality of the kinect games that will be shown, then pretty much is in line with my predictions, and not opposing them.

If microsoft has put all this money and time into kinect, decided to force it on the consumer, but still will fail to show us the killer game -even on the second version of the thing- then it doesnt take a genius to realise that maybe more things are happening than what one sees with a first glance. My 2c's.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Everybody will plug-in Kinect at least one time just to see if asking it "Have you seen Titanfall" yields some easter egg.

And unplug it if it doesn't.

alright almost all the 180's are complete (still have my preorder from the first hour amazon put them up), now it's time to focused on the biggest change we need to make happen at microsoft

bring back j allard - if we complain enough its sure to happen right? even if just in a "spokesman/press conference" capacity

Well, lets see.. Ryse was dropped from being a kinect game to being a normal game (hint 1)
The kinect sports game took a break and wont be available day 1 (hint 2)

In my opinion, the "killer app" for kinect is ready, microsoft did it already as they told us some time ago.
Problem is, its not game related. Its the API for kinect they made for advertizing use. ;)

Your prediction my friend, if you are afraid to predict the quality of the kinect games that will be shown, then pretty much is in line with my predictions, and not opposing them.

If microsoft has put all this money and time into kinect, decided to force it on the consumer, but still will fail to show us the killer game -even on the second version of the thing- then it doesnt take a genius to realise that maybe more things are happening than what one sees with a first glance. My 2c's.

Yeah we're in agreement there

I don't see MS valuing kinect as a gaming device

They have kinect games to try and justify it's place with the console

I think it's half remote control features (benefits) and advertising potential that makes MS push it so hard

I really really dislike ads on devices i buy

www.sticktwiddlers.com/2013/06/28/xbox-one-dashboard-created-with-advertising-in-mind/

This right here is why the Kinect is so important to Microsoft.

Top Bottom