• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

Alx

The Kinect requirement for voice commands, on the other hand, has been questioned since its inception, and rightfully so. It's exceptionally stupid on a system that already supported, and indeed shipped with, a microphone.

There's more to voice commands than just sound capture through a microphone. You need some signal processing and recognition software, for which kinect helps a lot.
Besides, the first benefit of voice commands is to be available at any moment, without requiring any kind of physical controller. There's no real benefit to say "xbox on" if you're doing it through a microphone connected to a handheld controller. You could just as well push a button on said controller.

Palocca

It's great to see all of the changes that have happened since E3. With every policy reversal, I see myself purchasing one sooner and sooner. As someone that bought into the hype of a Kinect years ago (and being severely burned by it), I was incredibly hesitant on paying more for something that I didn't want. At the same time, I understood MS' rationale, as they're banking on it to create an experience that will differentiate it from Sony. Personally, I still can't picture the new Kinect's role in gaming as anything other than a novelty, but there are tons of people that are much more creative and imaginative than me, so....

With that being said, I still plan on a PS4 launch and an XBONE at its first price drop. The logical person in me knows I should wait about a year or so before buying into next gen, but I just can't pass up the first new consoles in almost a decade.

Xbox 180 indeed. All the reversals are a little comical at this point, but in the end I'm glad they listened to their customers. I still don't want one, the Live paywall is a little too much for me. Still, the more competition between Sony and MS the better.

I don't think GameStop would accept Kinect 2 because it's a part of the console.

They probably wont even accept XOne trade ins unless you have Kinect 2.

So you don't need Gold? If true then I'm more than happy to be corrected here.

Hell, I'm even flexible on this. But I think that if a Gold sub is required for a free-to-play game than those games should come with special starter packs that are more than you'd get if you started on a truly free multiplayer platform. So a Gold starter kit worth, what $10 of in-game currency items more than you'd get on PC? I could work with that.

The line is drawn at MP as far as I know (I'm not 100% sure though).

To play KI online, you will need Gold. To play its single player (and I'd assume couch co-op?), you will not.

World of Tanks doesn't have any single player, and is only MP so you will need Gold.

Not sure about Project Spark. I've tried a couple of XBL games and none of them ever mention anything about Gold (I don't think that concept exists on Win8, even though games are still Xbox Live enabled). I would assume you would not need Gold, unless they add multiplayer features (I believe they only showed off local co-op at E3, not online co-op).

Though I do think MS should change this. If a game is free, let it be offered for free and MS could get their revenue through in-game transactions that they take a percentage of (rest goes to dev), like every other F2P game on like any device.

entremet

I actually think this a terrible move for them. People are just going to trade this thing right back to Gamestop and get store credit. What is the point of packaging this in every box again?
It would be worthless since every console comes with a Kinect.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Wow good news. While I thinks MS won't drop Kinect unless they are forced by low sells this makes the system more attractive to me. I'll wait and see if it gets more worthwhile exclusives since my most wanted feature was BC to play 360 games I missed like I'm doing with Wii U right now.

Alebrije

How are people excited for this console? Microsoft are making things up as they go along. There is no confidence whatsoever.

Antonio-Banderas-computer-you-got-me-yospos-reaction-13677939419.gif

To not split the userbase?

Just like it required an Internet connection to usher in the all-digital future.

And it didn't come with a mic because Kinect was your mic.

And Kinect needed to be plugged in so developers could be sure users would have it there, always ready, and not just in a box somewhere.

At this point, Microsoft's direction with Xbox One is as confused as Stevie Wonder with a compass.

farisr

How are people excited for this console? Microsoft are making things up as they go along. There is no confidence whatsoever.

I'm excited about this news because it means that this is now a contender to be my second console of choice this upcoming gen. Second console of choice means there is still quite some time till I decide on getting it, which means I will be able to see how MS is shaping up and will have at least a year or more to see what kinds of decisions MS has been making and whether I want to buy the console from a company like that. This news isn't gonna make me go out and preorder it though.

MS usually has a great first few years games-wise for their consoles.

Skype was made famous NOT for video chat, but for VOICE chat. And all Xbox Ones come with a headset.

AND Skype works well for TEXT chat, too.

But yes, let's lock out Skype because ONE of the three means of communication is unplugged.

uhhhhhhh I do that on my pc EVERYDAY.

There is this magical thing called a 'microphone' that you can use to 'skype'. This is in fact the most common way Skype is used.

"Kinect" and "camera" are not the same thing. Skype works on other devices without Kinect. Neither are "Kinect" and "microphone". I don't expect (or care it) Microsoft ever allows normal cameras to be used with the Xbox, but obviously they could.

The Kinect requirement for voice commands, on the other hand, has been questioned since its inception, and rightfully so. It's exceptionally stupid on a system that already supported, and indeed shipped with, a microphone.

For such a major Xbone fan, you sound ridiculous here.

Every hear of a microphone?
Haha holy crap, did not expect all those responses.
Of course I know Skype has just voice chat, I use it all the time on the PC too.
However, Xbox One has a separate system for party chats, and we've only seen video Skype, so that is what I'm assuming is available.
Maybe it just supports voice chat too, and maybe you can use the microphone, I don't know.

ironcreed

Banned
Just like it required an Internet connection to usher in the all-digital future.

And Kinect needed to be plugged in so developers could be sure users would have it there, always ready, and not just in a box somewhere.

At this point, Microsoft's direction with Xbox One is as confused as Stevie Wonder with a compass.

LOL

oSoLucky

if you can unbundle it why include it in the first place. offer a second sku for 399 with no kinect.

That guarantees that there won't be significant developer support and all of the hype/PR goes down the drain. Though they could still sell 20 million Kinect Sports/-imals games to recoup the losses, I actually do believe that there are good applications out there for the Kinect. Some of the stuff that people are doing with it for the PC is pretty noteworthy.

Because there will be the games to justify it. There hasn't been a console
Virtual Boy and 32X are dead to me
from the major manufacturers yet that didn't have enough games to justify the purchase to me.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

The games aren't exactly shaping up into shit you know. It's looking very promising. What's wrong with positive policy chances? They obviously had different things in mind but hey here we are.

I really don't understand comments like this. Is it too much to understand that there are exclusives that people want to play? Maybe they just love the controller or the xbox services. There's plenty of reasons why people might be excited.

For me it's Killer Instinct 3 and Halo 5 and 6.

JaggedSac

I actually think this a terrible move for them. People are just going to trade this thing right back to Gamestop and get store credit. What is the point of packaging this in every box again?

Seems like a brilliant strategy for Gamestop to accept trade ins for hardware that comes with every box.

Krakn3Dfx

I'm getting kind of dizzy from all these 180s, but this makes me getting one sometime next year more of a possibility than it was this morning.

2528451-6505431589-spinn.gif

Mik_Pad

Banned

I think you made some good points, it's sad to see how MS has been so blind about what gamers wanted form the first place.

Jarlaxle

I don't mind if you don't need the kinect to play as long as every system comes with one still. That way developers can still use it when making games for neat additions and those worrying that the NSA cares what you say while playing video games can turn it off. Best of both worlds.

So they basically reversed everything. Good moves but it makes them look very weak, imo. They more or less admit that they're a bitch now.

It actually kindof reminds me of each subsequent post-launch PS3 releasing with slightly less functionality than the last. Those were strange times, but it had to happen.

Right, but there're not even waiting til release before completely abandoning everything this console once was. It's like their whole thing about this being a marathon and not a sprint was just something they read in a bathroom stall somewhere and is absolutely meaningless to them.

Instead of trying to convince people why their way is smart, they just say, "Shit! What's Sony doing? Do that instead!"

bronzeP

Banned
Stop with those Stevie Wonder jokes asap. He's a cool guy and his music rocks. People shouldn't make fun of his disability!

Top Bottom