• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro: who blinked first...Microsoft or Sony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ufo8mycat

One smart move Microsoft made with the XBone One X is the 'system level' supersampling for 1080p users. Now Sony dropped the ball in regards to this, but can't they just add a patch to enable system level supersampling for the Pro? It can't be that difficult? Unless of course they aren't doing it deliberately so they can get as many people buying their 4K TVs lol

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
The GPU is newer. It has HDMI 2.1 features for example. Changing almost everything about a console sounds like a new generation to me TBH.

I'm stretching my words a bit. But its unprecedented that home console refreshes increase the ram.

Xbox one x and PS4 Pro both have over clocked Jaguar CPUs only this time they both have GPUs based on 16nm Polaris tech. Last time xbox used Bonaire tech and PS4 used Pitcairn.

Xbox one x is in no way next generation technology. You will know next generation console when it comes. We will probably be talking about something on the order of 32-64GB of hbm3 stacked ram with >terabyte/sec bandwidth, a Navi-based GPU with at least 20TF and a multi-core Ryzen CPU.

Expect to see all this in a single APU chip using 10nm process.

This is what PS5 and Xbox Two will be.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Added one for you.

Talks about a more powerful PS4 started in October 2015 with an interview of SIE's Japanese CFO/CTO IIRC, can't remember where I red this interview but it exists.

lol, seems we all were on the same page, was too busy editing while you guys posted.

Yea, the earliest I see is Oct 23, 2015 for more powerful PS4 rumors. I cant really find anything before that for either mid gen refresh.

The GPU is newer. It has HDMI 2.1 features for example. Changing almost everything about a console sounds like a new generation to me TBH.

No, it's not newer. It's a Polaris-based GPU, same as the Pro, with four more cores and a significant upclock.

You have hilariously low standards for what counts as a new generation.

PS4 is 50% more powerful than Xbox One ?

Xbox One X looks like a more future proof console than PS4 Pro to me.

You might want to check your math if you think the X is 50% more powerful than the Pro... It's more like ~43%, while the PS4 is ~41% more powerful than the Xbone.

If you think the X is more future proof than the Pro, that's fine, I don't really care. Personally I see both consoles as stopgaps before the PS5 and next Xbox come out in a few years.

Lots of reasons. Developers requested more power, PC enthusiast market is rapidly expanding thanks to Twitch & Steam so Sony/MS have to play catch-up, VR requires more power, etc etc

The biggest one to me is trying to avoid the slump the console industry got into at the end of last gen.

KillLaCam

Banned
There is no way PS5/Xbox two will have more than 24 total gb of RAM. Most high end gaming PCs have that much (8gb vram + 16gb ram). If (big if) the next set of APUs use HBM it wouldn't be over 16.

64gb of ram in a console would be such a waste. Would rather have a 32 gb ssd.
Especially if the ram prices are still as high as they are right now

RomeoDog

Banned
Xbox one x and PS4 Pro both have over clocked Jaguar CPUs only this time they both have GPUs based on 16nm Polaris tech. Last time xbox used Bonaire tech and PS4 used Pitcairn.

Xbox one x is in no way next generation technology.

While saying its not next gen tech is subjective.

It is its own generation and different enough to the pro.

120v

given this gen's limitations i think the writing was on the wall early on, either the gen had to be cut short or lose to PC mindshare (yes, PC is only growing year by year now). sony wasn't about to bail on a steadily growing base, so the Pro was a happy medium.

i doubt MS just so happened to reach the same conclusion at the same time, probably had indications what sony engineering were up to before most of us knew

Here is the timline as I know it

Added one for you.

Going to share a quote from the link I posted earlier...

Aside from the lack of screens available to buy right now, there is also a dearth of set-top boxes capable of showing 4K HDR. Hunt said Sony had ”promised" a hardware rev for the PS4 that will include a 4K video capability and that they would ”expect eventually" for it to support HDR, as one example of where the industry will seek to catch up.

January 12, 2015

This is not about being first, but to illustrate that Sony was already working on the revision in 2015, likely 2014 (as well as looking at timelines for PS5).

It is also very likely that Microsoft was also doing the same, as they too are working with AMD so there is no reason they aren't looking at the future of their market. The only difference is how long they wanted to wait, as per the hardware they seeked to sell and that may have played into seeing what Sony was going with.

It takes a lot longer to plan a product than people seem to believe. The availability of technology that can function together for a target manufacture rate is key, and why if we see a true generational leap it is very much expected to be in 2020, after the initial chips of 2019 with their incredibly small sizes start to be manufactured for iPhones and non-consumer applications.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
That report is hilarious in retrospect.

It totally was, I know I've seen it right here. But industrial spionage from prototyping is probably the trigger rather than the rumor, I think the NX power rumor came around the same time as PS4.5 rumors.

Edit:
"NX more powerful than PS4/XB1, easy to develop for [rumor]"
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1202176

Hah fantastic, it's all about UHD blu-ray

Not just about UHD blu ray:

I was talking about this for PS4 from Oct 2015.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1128578

Some sites reported on it, but it didnt get much attention until more rumors came out in 2016.

Read the part about PS4 performance boost.

Going to share a quote from the link I posted earlier...

This is not about being first, but to illustrate that Sony was already working on the revision in 2015, likely 2014 (as well as looking at timelines for PS5).

It is also very likely that Microsoft was also doing the same, as they too are working with AMD so there is no reason they aren't looking at the future of their market. The only difference is how long they wanted to wait, as per the hardware they seeked to sell and that may have played into seeing what Sony was going with.

It takes a lot longer to plan a product than people seem to believe. The availability of technology that can function together for a target manufacture rate is key, and why if we see a true generational leap it is very much expected to be in 2020, after the initial chips of 2019 with their incredibly small sizes start to be manufactured for iPhones and non-consumer applications.

I agree and I see these types of discussions alot in smartphone land.

theWB27

Service/GaaS sure is selling a lot of Xboxes.

It is. But no ish it isn't selling more than Sony. Playstation is a bigger brand worldwide.

That's not a slight against xbox. At all. Playstation is a juggernaut of a brand and has been for ages.

Kyoufu

Developing for 3 versions of a PS4 and maybe 3 versions of XB1 sounds like the dumbest idea.

IMO, go PS5/XB2 and make PS4 Pro/XB1X the new "standard."

That'd be awful. The base would still be limited to Jaguar CPUs and 8GB RAM. No developer would want that and Sony wouldn't want that either.

Jumeira

Banned
the xbone X is completely stupid in doing 4k native when you can do it with 2x GPU checkerboarded for almost no image quality difference. It should have been an xbone pro with 2x GPU for 299, not a pure 4k refresh for 499.
No thanks, im happy to pay for power, Nintendo like cut backs can stay away. There's gamers/consumers that won't feel price if the tech is justified. In fact it's extremely important manufacturers are supported for creating premium products. The Elite controller is an example, amazing controller with a type of quality that puts everything to shame, I'm happy this segment of the market is being invested in. That needs to continue.

Rolf NB

Nintendo with the New 3DS.
original.jpg
Remember the DSi?

eh first party game some will look better. most not so much. vs eh first party game some will look better. most not so much.
Fixed.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
He may bending the truth, but once they introduce original Xbox BC alongside the expanding 360 BC is kind of makes sense.

Then, in the future, they can make new games where the bottom line is the X1X and the best way to play them is the X1Xv2 or whatever.

I'm not sure how backwards compatibility means it makes sense, that doesn't introduce a generationless consoles it just lets you play more older games?

Assuming MS releases a new console in 3 years and if the Xbox One X becomes the new bottom line when It releases then that's still a new generation, your just expanding the generation another 3 years before they move to another new console and the baseline moves. And honestly that sort of thing sounds like it would be a disaster to try and communicate to the general public.

A proper generationless concept would be always having the Xbox One as a baseline much like a low end PC, but again, eventually they will move on and stop supporting it like developers and hardware manufacturers do in every other industry. We might get an iPhone every year with better hardware and a couple new exclusive features, but they drop support for older phones, in fact I believe it is constantly rotating 5-6 years of new phones coming in and old ones dropping off. That's pretty much our console generation length.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'd be more interested to know the background as to how they both suddenly got the idea to come up with a mid-gen refresh.

It's really not that complicated.

On the first meeting with AMD, back in ~2010, they both received the same talk - X86 and Radeons can easy be upgraded without braking SW compatibility and AMD can provide them easy to pick and choose what kind of hardware they want in the future APUs [no matter if they elect to go with midgen upgrade or nextgen].

Jumeira

Banned
Here comes the xbox defense force
/s

Its not really an assumption when Phil himself said new IPs are 2-3 years out (likely in line with the nextbox)

Reading comprehension needs to improve. He said that's for new IPs he's signed recently. You honestly think they didn't start signing projects until recently? There will be new games announced next year that started years ago, any sensible gamer can see that . And no it'll not be Gears,Halo, Forza.

Peterc

It's not about the power, thats why I believe Scorpio will fail if they doesn't come with a list of good games to release.

Core gamers with high end gfx go for -> PC

More focus on mainstream(casual) with a list of good games-> Console

As core gamer you can enjoy games too on consoles, but it's more a system to relax.

The problem is, games are today way to expensive to make, so you'll less games each next gen we get. The solution is simple, don't focus on power but on games and unique hardware features that change the way you play games. Thats why I believe nintendo is again take the best direction in years with the switch.

For some of you that think we will see another next gen soon, It will be a disappointment.

There are enough articles to find on the internet about games are getting to expensive:

https://meckronos.wordpress.com/2016/10/13/aaa-games-are-getting-too-expensive-to-make/

We will probably be talking about something on the order of 32-64GB of hbm3 stacked ram with >terabyte/sec bandwidth, a Navi-based GPU with at least 20TF and a multi-core Ryzen CPU.

This is what PS5 and Xbox Two will be.

I hope you're wrong, because I don't want to wait another 5 years until those arrive.;)

Also, lol @ those suggesting Xbox One X is some kind of new generation or "future-proof" in any way.

It neither has exclusive games (as in: "not possible on Xbox one S", which has been the very definition of next-gen since consoles exist) nor enough beef to separate itself from the fastest current gen console.

Real next-gen consoles will be at the very least 4 times more powerful than their fastest predecessors, and I for one would still not call them next-gen if devs are forced to support the previous generation consoles as well.

Overclock is only 52Mhz
4 Compute Units (there are different type of cores in it)

You're right that I should've called them compute units (I was lazy) but I was referring to a significant upclock in comparison to the Pro (911MHz vs 1172MHz).

Ok. No notable console exclusives then.

I don't know about that. Gears, Halo and Forza are established franchises.

I'm personally really looking forward to Cuphead, Sea of Thieves, Ori and the w
will of the Wisp, Ashen and Tacoma.

What's a "generation-less console" anyhow... aside from another buzzword like high-quality pixel.

I guess you could call it a console without barriers.

The two consoles are exactly the same, just marketed differently, as one competitor is looking for a turnaround while the other one proactively tried to protect its castle.

Well that's not true, at all.

The rest is most likely true.

kyser73

One smart move Microsoft made with the XBone One X is the 'system level' supersampling for 1080p users. Now Sony dropped the ball in regards to this, but can't they just add a patch to enable system level supersampling for the Pro? It can't be that difficult? Unless of course they aren't doing it deliberately so they can get as many people buying their 4K TVs lol

This was actually discussed in one of the (purposefully and with the full knowledge of Sony) leaked Neo development presentation slides when Sony were doing seminars on the new SDK that went along with the Pro.

So yes, they can but it needs to go into the SDK first and may require additional patching from games.

OT - does it really matter? For both MS & Sony there won't be a single reason they've decided to test the waters with a mid-gen upgrade for their platforms, and while some of the reasons will be common to both, their order of priority for each company will be different.

I think for both of them one of the bigger weighing reasons was to test the mid-gen upgrade idea. I also think that the way both have approached it demonstrates how much they viewed it as a risk. The Pro is a pretty conservative upgrade, still keeps the same architecture (by and large), same memory etc. and even to the extent that it took a few months before they added boost mode. This is as cautious as it gets.

MS OTOH have gone all in with an engineering tour de force (even if the CPU is still a Jag), but clearly view this as a way of locking in their core audience and giving it that sheen of 'most powerful' that'll sell it in its primary market.

Random unsubstantiated speculation - I think MS had two potential designs on the table, one of which had a version of Ryzen in it, but AMD couldn't deliver. The removal of the line about VR in the pre-release website after the announcement at CES of a host of OEM VR partners possibly hints that they were expecting something meatier in the pie than the Jag.

Good lulz from Fredrik & SenjutsuSage ITT too.

Bulby

Considering these consoles are ultimately tied to their 2013 counterparts, I would say that Sony made the right move in hindsight.

Im looking forward to a sexy Halo 6 but a €500 refresh 4 years into a generation seems like a crazy crazy move.

I think the best comparison of xbone to xbone x is wii u to switch. Both xbone X and switch are roughly 4x as powerful in GPU as their predecessors, and the RAM scales simiarly between the two consoles as well

Roufianos

All I know is that MS have definitely made the more appealing box. If you're gonna make a premium console then there's no point being half assed about it. If I ever pick one of these up it will be an XOX.

Xbox one x is in no way next generation technology. You will know next generation console when it comes. We will probably be talking about something on the order of 32-64GB of hbm3 stacked ram with >terabyte/sec bandwidth, a Navi-based GPU with at least 20TF and a multi-core Ryzen CPU.

This is what PS5 and Xbox Two will be

No way that kind of tech will make it to next gen. That's something that would be possible in ps6/xb3.

All I know is that MS have definitely made the more appealing box. If you're gonna make a premium console then there's no point being half assed about it. If I ever pick one of these up it will be an XOX.

The two are a year apart and there's a £120 price difference.

I feel like Sony plan on hardware is much better for mainstream audience.

New 400$ device every 3 years is manageable for most of enthusiasts and they timed it perfectly into AMD release schedule as when they release PS5 around 2019 Vega and Ryzen Apus will be mature technology.

Meanwhile Microsoft is a moment too early into Amd cycle so next gen consoles will make Scorpio look like past gen machine due to cpu bottlenecks forcing Microsoft to release another console 2 years after Scorpio.

So it looks like Scorpio is whale hunting move to lock console whales into xbox ecosystem.

score01

I really don’t think you are in the best position to argue, people make judgements of people with Sony exclusive avatars.

As an Xbox fanboy are you in any better position pass judgement? Ah, you don't have an MS avatar - so you are cleared?

What an ignorant post.

Pandy

It's really not that complicated.

On the first meeting with AMD, back in ~2010, they both received the same talk - X86 and Radeons can easy be upgraded without braking SW compatibility and AMD can provide them easy to pick and choose what kind of hardware they want in the future APUs [no matter if they elect to go with midgen upgrade or nextgen].
It's this, combined with MS feeling the heat for the XBO being less powerful than the PS4, so having to wait a bit longer to get higher specs they wanted for the XOX.

oldergamer

Some are missing the point. For the first time Sony brought out a mid gen refresh thst was more powerful then the base system. Inreaction to betting a lot on Vr popularity. Vr isnt really taking off like it was expected asof yet.

The system doesnt benefit many games (be it resolution or performance) specifically for those without 4k tvs. The fact it runs many games with little to no benefit to the user, shows Sony jumped the gun.

All the people talking about ps5 and expecting it in a year or two arent thinking straight. Ps4 pro released last year. They wont fracture support of the market more this early. The reason console makers used notebook CPUs in the first place was due to power restricions imposed on specific classed devices. This wont change in the future.

MS did the right thing in making sure more users could see the bendfit of upgrades. There is no "pro" mode. They also spent time customizing which will help them moving forward. They took more time and looked ahead more than Sony.

Neither lanched with exclusive content although Sony does benefit from Japanese game exclusivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom