• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue is, all these theories don't take into account just how INCREDIBLY unique the gaming industry and it's consumer base is. It simply doesn't work that black and white. Microsoft to this day still hasn't grasped the concept that franchises normally need a chance to grow and evolve. They don't just...happen. Normally. Halo and Gears were the exception, not the rule. Most franchises are grown like Call of Duty, Uncharted or Assassin's Creed. First/early entires are mildly successful with flawed games that show promise with a future iteration or sequel making good on that potential or hitting that perfect note in distilling the formula that game is going for down to a fine art.
Uh all 3 of those games had initial success and were viewed favorably even if they had flaws. In reality, no company is going to make a sequel to a bad game. There's no sympathy second chances in the video game industry.

Good thing is we're almost in April and that has to mean MS will finally at least announce something. If they want to reveal this thing before E3 they kinda have to. When is the Surface event?

They wont do the Scorpio reveal at a regular MS event like Surface info. It will be on it's own if anything.

Surprised no dev paper work info has leaked though, they must have major NDA on it. Or the system is literally the same as already announced, and with the expected CPU. Not much to tell. /shocker!

Outrun

I think Playgrounds other game is most likely to be multiplatform. They are a new-ish company who have gained a good reputation, now it's time to make some bank!

Multiplat
Xbox Exclusive
Sony Exclusive
Commodore Vic 20 Exclusive
Nintendo Exclusive

In that order!

Why no love for Speccy owners?

They wont do the Scorpio reveal at a regular MS event like Surface info. It will be on it's own if anything.

Surprised no dev paper work info has leaked though, they must have major NDA on it. Or the system is literally the same as already announced, and with the expected CPU. Not much to tell. /shocker!

But does Scorpio warrant a completely dedicated event? It's not a new generation for Xbox and I doubt they can fill 45 minutes or more for it. It would make more sense to just let it have its moment during the MS event and could be like 15 to 30 minutes where they reveal it and explain things and then say "wait for E3 guys."

Hope we find out soon, wait has been long enough.

But does Scorpio warrant a completely dedicated event? It's not a new generation for Xbox and I doubt they can fill 45 minutes or more for it. It would make more sense to just let it have its moment during the MS event and could be like 15 to 30 minutes where they reveal it and explain things and then say "wait for E3 guys."

PS4 Pro had about a 40 minute press conference for its unveiling.

m23

PS4 Pro had about a 40 minute press conference for its unveiling.

Sure but I don't think people though it was a great show.

I think a good 10-15 minutes is enough time to talk about the hardware. The OS itself will most likely be the same, the games will be the same, etc. Maybe a short video of some devs talking about the unit.

I don't really know what they can do for an hour and then have even more stuff for e3.

Space_nut

I've been eager to have something announced for a unveiling before E3 but now since it's already April I'd like MS to keep everything secret till E3. I want that Saturday night to be like Christmas Eve staying up all night in anticipation

I am sure they are looking undera microscope at the PS4 Pro conference and seeing where Sony messed up
Everything

It wasnt as a big of a disaster as the Xbox one unveil but it was boring and there was no need for a conference that long. Especially since Sony was discussing what HDR is, 4K, how developers can render those games ect. I think 20 minutes max, reveal the name, the look of the system the specs, and show some games running at 4k like Forza 7 and maybe show off Shadow of War or some game they have a marketing deal with.

No I don't think it does really. A short-ish info video would be enough. Then it's best just to show what the system can do with the games at E3.

Anyone taking bets on when Scorpio will release? I'd personally love it to be October, but I'm almost 100% sure it'll come out in November at some point.

Sure but I don't think people though it was a great show.

I think a good 10-15 minutes is enough time to talk about the hardware. The OS itself will most likely be the same, the games will be the same, etc. Maybe a short video of some devs talking about the unit.

I don't really know what they can do for an hour and then have even more stuff for e3.
They can treat as a new console regarding presentation. Show some tech demos, announce a few games that showcase the hardware (a perfect example would be the new Forza, it wouldn't be a E3 surprise anyway).

Show a glimpse of the new UI (Scorpio will come with Redstone 3) and some new features. Talk about the exclusive features the console might have (like longer game dvr times).

Show some announced games running better on Scorpio, provide a list of games that will be updated to support Scorpio. Perhaps even have a bombshell in that area (like all xbone games will see a resolution boost on Scorpio without a patch).

Anyway, there's plenty they could show of the console that wouldn't fit e3, gives them an opportunity to talk about the future in general like updates, and give e3 more time to focus on new games.

Dehnus

Screw those guys. They are only one step lower than Atari ST fanboys.

Hey now, for music people the Atari ST actually is quite a good system. The Midi ports were really handy.

That is about the only thing though, as Atari wend el cheapo on everybody with that system and stopped innovating like they did before.

shoreu

End it with an exclusive teaser.

Black screen / silence
night vision goggles sound stirs up
Iconic 3 green orbs flashes

Marc.jpg

Gaf would rage so hard especially if it's 100% exclusive

I predict 'Time period: October 23 – November 21'

I like that range! A late October launch would be fantastic to me, maybe they'll do something similiar to the One S? Launch late October with a "special" bundle and then do the Scorpio + game bundles in November.

They can treat as a new console regarding presentation. Show some tech demos, announce a few games that showcase the hardware (a perfect example would be the new Forza, it wouldn't be a E3 surprise anyway).

Show a glimpse of the new UI (Scorpio will come with Redstone 3) and some new features. Talk about the exclusive features the console might have (like longer game dvr times).

Show some announced games running better on Scorpio, provide a list of games that will be updated to support Scorpio. Perhaps even have a bombshell in that area (like all xbone games will see a resolution boost on Scorpio without a patch).

Anyway, there's plenty they could show of the console that wouldn't fit e3, gives them an opportunity to talk about the future in general like updates, and give e3 more time to focus on new games.

I definitely agree that they could have content to fill a Scorpio event. Going off of what you've already said, I would fill it with the following:

- Hardware reveal + price and release date
- Preview of Redstone OS, out around Scorpio launch
- Talk up a few previously released games and how they'll benefit from Scorpio (Halo 5, Forza, Gears 4, etc...)
- Mention an incoming Xbox One S price drop, possible Xbox Design lab support for One S consoles
- Maybe talk about Xbox game pass and how any games on the service can benefit from Scorpio either natively or via patch (due to downloading games instead of streaming them)

Done. As noted above, I don't think a Scorpio event needs to be exclusively about Project Scorpio.

Hawk269

Good thing is we're almost in April and that has to mean MS will finally at least announce something. If they want to reveal this thing before E3 they kinda have to. When is the Surface event?

Yes, but be careful tomorrow as it is April 1st, (April fools day). I am sure there are some waiting in the wings to drop nuggets of false information disguised as genuine info. I might just stay away till Monday. lol

Newlove

I know this is off topic but no thanks for those reboot requests. I felt the direction and story of Blacklist was awesome. I don't know why this thread keeps being bumped when there is no new information to add. It's always a tease seeing it on the first page, but then nothing.

DesertFox

I know this is off topic but no thanks for those reboot requests. I felt the direction and story of Blacklist was awesome. I don't know why this thread keeps being bumped when there is no new information to add. It's always a tease seeing it on the first page, but then nothing.

Blacklist was an excellent game. The marketing was not BS. I played through the entire game stealth and non-lethal, but going full assault was possible for those that like to play that way. I think there were a couple situations which forced my hand if I remember correctly, but it was really satisfying to have a true stealth game return to that franchise.

Blacklist was an excellent game. The marketing was not BS. I played through the entire game stealth and non-lethal, but going full assault was possible for those that like to play that way. I think there were a couple situations which forced my hand if I remember correctly, but it was really satisfying to have a true stealth game return to that franchise.

i just realized i never played blacklist, hence my want for a splinter cell reboot. hopefully it becomes a games with gold title soon.

Caayn

He's not a warrior/fan boy if that is what you are thinking.
Only for Dynasty Warriors

Zhuge also was not the one to leak the MS presser, so don't spread misinformation.
I assumed it was the same guy that MeisterLeder was talking about. Guess that isn't the case.

Thats exactly what I want. I dont know if PD can work as a shooter in this day and age. However it could work well as a Deus Ex clone.

Wasn't BlackTusk(The coalition now) not working on a splinter cell kind of game, called Shangheist(That rappel E3 demo)? Maybe some smaller studio can finish that ip together with The Coalition.

It was Nerdleaks that leaked MS presser.

Also Jez posted a new article about Scorpio roadmap about unlocking power for devs and some xdk info (specifically about 4k assets and how they will manage that for regular XB1 and XB1S).
http://www.windowscentral.com/proje...e-xdk-boost?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

This could be a big differentiator if they are pushing 4K assets. I remember when Cerny was discussing the positives of the PS4 Pro he was saying that they used to same assets from the PS4 to get to 4K or thereabouts - He was discussing For Honor which is a 1440p title -
That extra ram is going to be put to work.

Ushay

It was Nerdleaks that leaked MS presser.

Also Jez posted a new article about Scorpio roadmap about unlocking power for devs and some xdk info (specifically about 4k assets and how they will manage that for regular XB1 and XB1S).
http://www.windowscentral.com/proje...e-xdk-boost?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

Again not a lot of new information,except that the graphics stack won't be 100% until June. What I do find interesting is that games can be submitted in June for certification, I wonder when the console will release. I get the feeling it won't be released in Nov like it usually is.

Like a lot of things I think Spencer wants this console to launch very differently to the others consoles.

This could be a big differentiator if they are pushing 4K assets. I remember when Cerny was discussing the positives of the PS4 Pro he was saying that they used to same assets from the PS4 to get to 4K or thereabouts - He was discussing For Honor which is a 1440p title -
That extra ram is going to be put to work.

That's why that rumored bit of extra RAM is awesome. 4K native res without 4K assets won't look drastically better than 4K checkerboarding, but 4K native res with 4K assets should look very nice, IMO, and that extra RAM will get it there.

mike4001_

Again not a lot of new information,except that the graphics stack won't be 100% until June. What I do find interesting is that games can be submitted in June for certification, I wonder when the console will release. I get the feeling it won't be released in Nov like it usually is.

Like a lot of things I think Spencer wants this console to launch very differently to the others consoles.

Didn't Phil Spencer said they were a little ahead of the roadmap ?

They won't release in Summer obvisously but I can very well see a September release.

jelly

Sony has marketing rights to RDR2 I think but any game is a showcase on Scorpio really, it's whether they are allowed to market that aspect heavily if Sony has dibs on stuff like Destiny for example.

blakep267

Sony has marketing rights to RDR2 I think but any game is a showcase on Scorpio really, it's whether they are allowed to market that aspect heavily if Sony has dibs on stuff like Destiny for example.
I think there's a difference between marketing it ie. commercials/bundles and having a dedicated event where Bungie or rockstar show up and talk about how the games are taking advantage of scorpio

Didn't Phil Spencer said they were a little ahead of the roadmap ?

They won't release in Summer obvisously but I can very well see a September release.

I'm going to assume November unless we hear differently, but having it in September at the beginning of the wave of fall games would be awesome.

I think there's a difference between marketing it ie. commercials/bundles and having a dedicated event where Bungie or rockstar show up and talk about how the games are taking advantage of scorpio

I think this is how they will get around it. Maybe there is some kind of 4K assets loophole too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom